transition from keto to low carb

Options
Keliz1173
Keliz1173 Posts: 186 Member
Hello all,

I've being following the Keto WOE since February and have found it to be amazing for weight loss, regulating my moods/energy and reducing sugar cravings.

I'm experimenting with eating a bit higher amounts of carbs - mostly in fruits and veggies. Still avoiding added sugars, grains and startchy vegetables.

My current macros are 15% carbs (55g net), 30% protien (109g) and 55% fat (89g).

I'm trying this out to see if I have the same levels of satiety with reducing fat a bit and upping carbs and protien.

Wondering if anyone else has made this shift from keto to low carb WOE? I know everyone is different and there is alot of variation in low carb WOE but interested in others experiences with this.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I shifted from keto to low carb in July. I think I had my carb goal set around 150g/day.

Unfortunately, after about 6 weeks I had a recurrence of cyclical migraines, so I'm back to keto.

I didn't have any foods that I avoided, and I didn't have any issues with cravings or digestive problems, but everyone is different.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I lost all my initial weight by being at keto levels. I never tested to see if I was in Ketosis, and I didn't follow any "keto" protocols or any specific macros,other than keeping my Carbs under 35g daily.

Now I've begun working with a wellness coach who is focused on a lot of total health measurements including improved sleep, strength etc. She set my macros at 20% Carbs, 50% protein and 30% fat. Which is a huge increase in Protein, and Carbs and reduction in fat, for me.

I've seen some incredible shifts in my body composition, a serious reduction in fat, an increase in strength, and a change to my overall shape. I'm not lifting heavy things very much, I'm doing some walking and some basic body weight exercises so I know the majority of changes has come from food.

I'm not much of a fruit eater, I avoid white starches cause I can't stop once I start (bread, crackers, rice, potatoes etc), and I've never really enjoyed things like quinoa, brown rice, etc so those aren't really in my diet. Most of my carbs come from full fat dairy and green veggies. Currently, I monitor the amount of "good Fat" i'm getting just because of where my macros are being set by my coach...so it's peanut butter OR avocado for me these days. Not both.

Good luck, hopefully you find what works best for you and your body!

• snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Since you seem to have successfully followed Keto or low carb diets, I have a question: when you say "ketone", what level of carbs do you mean? And, is that total carbs or net carbs?
  • snha
    Options
    @Keliz1173 Sorry, I just noticed you said net carbs. But what were those when on keto diet?
  • Keliz1173
    Options
    Thank you @tcunbeliever and @mmultanen for sharing your expereince with keto and low carb.

@snha I was aiming for 25g of carbs or under after subtracting fibre grams while eating keto. Also more fat than protien.

I think my carbs are still quite low and I'm experimenting with a bit lower fat and slightly higher protien.

I feel so much better eating low carb but wanted more protien and a few more servings of fruit and veg. Hoping that if I maintain my calorie deficit I will continue to lose weight with these macros.

Thanks!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this as well. I haven't settled for sure yet on what guidelines I want to follow, but I am trying to include 6-9 cups/day of fresh vegetables and fruits per the Wahls Protocol for MS (1/3 green leafy veg, 1/3 brightly colored and 1/3 sulfur-rich). Still avoiding grains in general and reducing processed foods. I'm experimenting and we'll see where I land in terms of guidelines beyond that.
  • snha
    Options
    Thanks both. I'm new to the keto/low carb diet and have been experimenting here and there. I'm still not settled on a particular direction. I am reducing net carbs to anywhere between 20 (on a good da) and lower than 50.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    @Keliz1173

This is what I am thinking of doing also.

Keeping carbs fairly low, lowering fat a little and upping protein.

You'll have to keep me updated on how it goes!!
  • Keliz1173
    Options
    Thanks all for sharing your experiences and ideas.

I'll check in @Emmapatterson1729 and let you know how it goes!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Started my loss with keto levels of 50g carb, then stopped losing and felt ill, upped carbs to 75-100g and started losing again and had more energy. Maintained for about 4 years at 125-150g by separating my two meals a day (1:3 fats:carbs, and the other opposite) and then got lazy about the amount of dairy. That caused an uptick of almost 15 lbs which I'm still working on getting down. Dairy is my downfall. I do fine and even lose on 100-125g as long as I watch the dairy (cheeeeeeeeeze!). I have celiac disease so that's a part of it - dairy sensitivities that bloat me up.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Started my loss with keto levels of 50g carb, then stopped losing and felt ill, upped carbs to 75-100g and started losing again and had more energy. Maintained for about 4 years at 125-150g by separating my two meals a day (1:3 fats:carbs, and the other opposite) and then got lazy about the amount of dairy. That caused an uptick of almost 15 lbs which I'm still working on getting down. Dairy is my downfall. I do fine and even lose on 100-125g as long as I watch the dairy (cheeeeeeeeeze!). I have celiac disease so that's a part of it - dairy sensitivities that bloat me up.

Interesting, thanks for sharing!! I want to up carbs a little (still low carb), but maybe not keto low. And up proteins a little, after I get to goal.

Dairy is one food that is tricky for me. I get kidney stones, but I love cheese. Reduced fat milk products make me bloat and hurt, but the full fat creams do not.

I can't live without stinky European cheeses!!!

• weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I've been playing around going on Keto then Dirty Keto and now Low Carb.
    Currently 30% Carb, 30% Fat and 40% Protein. It breaks down to 93g, 41g and 124g.

My goal is to lower Body Fat and build muscle. My not so toned bod is looking more toned after starting this MFP & OTF (Orangetheory) journey.

I've learned how much Full Fat tastes so much better and keeps you full after decades of eating "low fats". I am lucky I don't have food allergies or health problems but I've always ate pretty clean. (except I never ever thought I go LOW CARB!) As we get older, adjusting what we feed ourselves has to change. And I think for me the time is now. Still trying to figure out what works for me and not but I am starting to get a hang of it. :)
  • Keliz1173
    Options
    Thank you @canadjineh and @weatherking2019

What's striking me most is how individual this process is. I'm very fortunate that I don't have food sensitivities or health conditions so I think I have room to experiment with my macros and find what works.

I do find eating a good amount of fat, protien and low carb helps me feel fuller and more consistent in my energy. I'm an anxious/high strung person so cutting out sugars and sticking with low carb WOE has helped with that.

I'm enjoying the additional berries, yogurt and veg I'm eating now that I'm slightly above the keto levels of carbs. Keto almost eliminated my sugar cravings so hoping upping carbs will not interfere with that. So far so good. If it doesn't I am okay to go back to keto WOE until I get to my goal. I'm only a 3rd of the way.

Thanks again to you all for sharing your perspectives!

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I have not been tracking ketone levels for a while but expect when I added a whole apple (core and all), some raw honey and a banana daily I am not in ketosis I expect. These three new carb sources are with my gut microbiome health in mind. I have to not over do it or my hand joints will get tender again.

My weight is down about 10 pounds over the past two months which may be due to the heat and back working in the barnyard for the first time in 50 years due to the daughter doing a semester in Europe and the wife breaking her hip in the barnyard. She has been back to work for a couple weeks now and I expect the Vitamin D3 and K2 for several years now helped her bone heal. She actually when low carb the 6 weeks she was on full bed rest.

Our microbiome is turning out to be of great interest to me now that I think its improvement has be a positive factor in my weight loss and improved health starting 5 years ago.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I agree GaleHawkins, microbiome is key (especially in my case.)
  • Keliz1173
    Options
    I have not been tracking ketone levels for a while but expect when I added a whole apple (core and all), some raw honey and a banana daily I am not in ketosis I expect. These three new carb sources are with my gut microbiome health in mind. I have to not over do it or my hand joints will get tender again.

My weight is down about 10 pounds over the past two months which may be due to the heat and back working in the barnyard for the first time in 50 years due to the daughter doing a semester in Europe and the wife breaking her hip in the barnyard. She has been back to work for a couple weeks now and I expect the Vitamin D3 and K2 for several years now helped her bone heal. She actually when low carb the 6 weeks she was on full bed rest.

Our microbiome is turning out to be of great interest to me now that I think its improvement has be a positive factor in my weight loss and improved health starting 5 years ago.

Thank you GaleHawkins for this feedback. I have seen many of your comments on other threads so I know you have years of expereince with keto and low carb WOE.

I will look into mircobiome information - I'm curious about the relationship between gut health and mental health as well and physical. I don't have issues with inflamation but came to keto as a way to manage cravings, mood swings and mild anxiety. Now that I've had time to break those the cravings and moods cycling I'm exploring adjustments to my carb sources and amounts. Thank you for sharing the changes you've been making and how they are effecting you.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @Keliz1173 thank you for your kind words of encouragement.

I am glad you started your new Way Of Eating before your health was in a steep decline as it was in my case at the age of 63.

After 5 years of my new WOE I am finding out there is so much more to learn.

It seems so many diseases do stem from a lack of diversity of the gut microbiome. You may find the link below interesting that 2000 years ago the health of the gut was known to be important. Humans lost a lot knowledge in the Dark Ages it seems.

https://beingbrigid.com/all-disease-begins-in-the-gut-the-5-key-roles-of-a-healthy-gut/

Best of continued success.

• Keliz1173
    Options
    Thank you @GaleHawkins - I will check out those links. I definitley have more learning to do.

I feel very fortunate at 46 to not have any major medical issues considering my weight and lifetime of disordered eating. I have a 10 year old son so lots of motivation to continue to improve my overall physical and mental health.

Thanks again :)