Share Your Day

Options

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    @dhiammarath

What you are saying definitely feels familiar to me at the moment. I have next to no breathing room and it is taxing. I ate below 1200 yesterday to cover my foolish mistake on Monday. The funny thing is that is not really that abnormal for me. I have natural low days and high days and I watch my 7 day average to make sure it is in line with my calorie goal. However, forcing a low day is not the same thing as it just happening because my hunger is not consistent. Also I typically do not allow a low day to go below about 1350.

Of course I just have a little over 30 days left of this and I can be done for awhile so it is not the same as your situation. I also have 2 to 3 weeks of maintenance happening after that so I am trying to look forward to food I will be eating even if I will be in some pain.

• dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    @NovusDies

I also have low days (not from starving myself, but just as you say, natural low days). I also have natural high days -- so while I try to keep my 'at-a-glance' daily numbers good, I really look at the weekly limit. In my mind, calories are like money: I balance them with the same level of energy as I do my bank because it's equally as important.

Right now, I feel like I've moved into a new house with a higher mortgage with very little breathing room for extras. I know when I'm done paying it off, I'll be able to have higher days once every so often, offset by low days. But I feel a little like an atom swinging wildly under the pressures of heat: Either I am overcorrecting on poor choices, or I end up with extra and figure I can then balance that out later, only to end up overcorrecting again. The margin of error is small, and that's what trips me up.

It is very taxing to have no breathing room! I am glad that yours will end in 30 days and have some maintenance weeks to look forward too! I have to remind myself that I will have that too, once I get through these 20 pounds. And honestly, I think it will get easier when I find a good rhythm.

Part of the problem is I am also dealing with an unknown coefficient: yes, I could use my food scale to weigh everything in sight, but that isn't sustainable for me for the length of my life. I have to be able to balance knowledge against the unknown and still come out ahead. Or at least reasonably sure and confident that I'm making the right choices. (I do bust out the food scale to give myself visual pictures of things that are easy to overeat on (like granola!), but I'm trying to train myself and my behavioral habits to make choices like I did as a kid/college student because while I will count calories for the foreseeable future, I don't want to be stuck to the concept of "perfection" in counting. Hence balancing some variable of the unknown while still losing on hard-mode.)

I inspect and adapt what I do on a weekly/monthly basis... but it's hard because, despite spreadsheets of numbers (I have 3 >.>), the feels still creep in. The doubt, etc, etc, etc.

So for real... the last 20 is very hard. What I've started doing is observing the behavior of other people, especially those at a healthy weight. Do they clean their plate? Do they leave something behind? What are the common themes in how they eat? Etc, etc.

Good luck to you!!
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    @NovusDies Honestly, that’s what I’m playing with. That and meal timing. The problem is that with little buffer, I can’t have an unplanned snack without serious cost.

My husband and I have dinner together, that’s our thing. So that means dinner is special and where I want to spend the bulk of my calories. It also means I need to find a way to adjust to LIVING where lunch and dinner don’t have equal weight (I don’t eat breakfast, so there’s that!).

Right now, I eat lunch and come home hungry. Not REALLY hungry, but I’ve trained myself to have something to eat when I get home so I get snacks. And a “handful” of snacks here and there turns into 200 calories quickly. Which then leaves me with a dinner quandary.

So I am going to try to eat later, and smaller lunches, so I can get a bigger dinner but last long enough for us to go to dinner.

I have also thought about trying to stick to a more aggressive deficit for 3 weeks then have a goal-weight maintenance week to offset/recalibrate.

It is VERY hard to spin my wheels — or feel like it — in what feels like slippery mud. I trust the process but it’s very messy right now.

I will let you know what ends up working!

I feel for you, right now I can create a huge deficit and not feel hungry or lacking. I am scared of the day when that is no longer the case. I would say to experiment and try to find low calorie snacks to get you through to meal time.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    jjlewey wrote: »
    @NovusDies Honestly, that’s what I’m playing with. That and meal timing. The problem is that with little buffer, I can’t have an unplanned snack without serious cost.

My husband and I have dinner together, that’s our thing. So that means dinner is special and where I want to spend the bulk of my calories. It also means I need to find a way to adjust to LIVING where lunch and dinner don’t have equal weight (I don’t eat breakfast, so there’s that!).

Right now, I eat lunch and come home hungry. Not REALLY hungry, but I’ve trained myself to have something to eat when I get home so I get snacks. And a “handful” of snacks here and there turns into 200 calories quickly. Which then leaves me with a dinner quandary.

So I am going to try to eat later, and smaller lunches, so I can get a bigger dinner but last long enough for us to go to dinner.

I have also thought about trying to stick to a more aggressive deficit for 3 weeks then have a goal-weight maintenance week to offset/recalibrate.

It is VERY hard to spin my wheels — or feel like it — in what feels like slippery mud. I trust the process but it’s very messy right now.

I will let you know what ends up working!

I feel for you, right now I can create a huge deficit and not feel hungry or lacking. I am scared of the day when that is no longer the case. I would say to experiment and try to find low calorie snacks to get you through to meal time.

I remember those days!! I am not sure how long they will last for you but I started noticing less control around the 320 mark. I still have quite a bit of control but some days are noticeably tougher.

You just have to keep doing what you are doing. The longer we do this the more invested we become in the NSVs and the more entrenched we are in our routines and habits. Right now it is keeping me above water because my willpower and discipline have been back-up singers for most of this time not out front taking a beating. I can't believe how miserable I used to make myself trying to lose weight in the past. All I ever had to do was allow the first segment to be easier so I build a foundation.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I have managed to turn this week around through sheer grit which is not something I recommend anyone (including me) doing very often. I promise myself to be kinder next week and make smarter choices earlier in the week. I have gone from being in a big hole to having a little over 140 calories in the bank. I know you are probably thinking that was unwise and you might be right but I am always more comfortable mentally having a little in the bank. Also I want some Mexican food tomorrow so I will probably try and bank a few more today. I have BLTs planned for Sunday.

I guess if this group continues to grow in size someone else will probably come along that is on a medical deadline so this experience might be useful.
  • jjlewey
    Options
    maiomaio71 wrote: »
    Had some good news yesterday. I was meant to be having neurosurgery in September but my weightloss has helped rectify and start to reverse the issue. Tests yesterday were really positive. Almost 30kg gone, and the problem is well on the way to disappearing. Now I have to keep losing, and keep the weight off. Feeling really positive today. It's made the hard work worthwhile.

Great news
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Had some good news yesterday. I was meant to be having neurosurgery in September but my weightloss has helped rectify and start to reverse the issue. Tests yesterday were really positive. Almost 30kg gone, and the problem is well on the way to disappearing. Now I have to keep losing, and keep the weight off. Feeling really positive today. It's made the hard work worthwhile.

WOW!! That is so fantastic!!
  • real_change
    real_change Posts: 53 Member
    Options

So wonderful to hear! Keep up the great work!
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    @maiomaio71 Awesome!
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options

That’s AWESOME!! Congrats!!
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Had a pretty great weekend in terms of progress. I've been resting from exercise for about a week to let some soreness/pain in my leg heal up, and I've also been eating closer to my calorie budget than usual. That combination must have triggered a reduction in water retention or something, as I dropped 4 pounds over the weekend.

This morning I got back to my running, repeating the last workout (Couch to 5k Week 2 Day 3). Last time I attempted it, the jogging intervals were manageable, but I was wiped after each one. By mid run, my lower left leg was in a lot of pain. Stupidly I pushed through it and finished the workout, and in doing so my leg bothered me for days.

Today, it was so much easier. My legs felt fine, no sign of even slight soreness until the end of the run. The intervals were much easier, and I wasn't too out of breath between them. Looking forward to starting Week 3 after a couple days of rest. At this point the jogging intervals move from being 1.5 minutes to alternating between 1.5 and 3 minutes. A decent step forward, but I think I'm ready for it.

I'll take this as a sign that I need more rest between runs than the program calls for. I doubt the schedule / intensity for the program were decided with a ~310 lb person in mind.
  • jjlewey
    Options
    I ate over 3000 calories both days this weekend. Finally had my pizza too. Still well below my tdee. Felt good to get back to healthier eating today. Keep the momentum going.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Last week wasn't very successful for achieving my calorie goals(trying to get out of the habit of calling things good or bad, because even the unsuccessful weeks teach me something).

I very much struggled with eating at a higher deficit (or any deficit at all), this is probably for the best though as I haven't been feeling well and was also recovering from an injury.

My plan for this week, which is the 2nd week I am meant to be at a higher deficit, is to aim for the calorie goal at Active for the higher deficit, regardless of whether my activity level gets as high as that, I am finding it ok at 1800-2000 calories per day so far this week but I've not been anywhere near as active as I normally would be as I've had to take a break from rowing, cycling and strength training whilst my neck and shoulder recover.

I'm away in Romania this weekend, I do imagine that this will help with both calories (my boyfriend's families food is good old staples of protein, fruit & veg), I'm going to a wedding and an anniversary and will be travelling the rest of the time, which usually means a lot of steps.

Tomorrow night I'm going to whip up some Dhaal and some overnight oats for the freezer so I have meals ready to come back to, which is when I will be back to the lower deficit for 2 weeks.
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    @tinkerbellang83 I like that your post reminded me that the habit of calling things "good" or "bad" does not serve me well.

Romania! Would you be willing to share a photo of Romania? I've not been there and would like to understand your impression of your travels.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    As of today I am on a high carb low fiber diet for an upcoming medical test that requires that I am fasted for 24 hours. The low fiber is their requirement. The high carb makes sense because I want to restore my glycogen as much as possible for a day of very low calorie.

I guess I thought it would be easy but I have eaten all my calories today and even with eating 2 more pieces of white toast I have still only netted 101 grams of carbs for the day. This is so foreign to me I should have pre-logged my food. I am usually high protein, high fiber, and moderate carb (80-120). Moderating my carbs helps me manage my reactive hypoglycemia.

So I suck. lol

I miss my 50 million servings of vegetables!!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    hansep0012 wrote: »
    @tinkerbellang83 I like that your post reminded me that the habit of calling things "good" or "bad" does not serve me well.

Romania! Would you be willing to share a photo of Romania? I've not been there and would like to understand your impression of your travels.

Sadly didn't get too many photos as was busy at the wedding and the anniversary dinner.

This is one I got of the church in the main square in Cluj-Napoca.

4o02l8a3rza1.jpg

Then a picture of the city from the citadel.
  • jafinnearty
    jafinnearty Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've had a great day so far! I did an extra weigh-in for the week, and discovered I had lost a little more weight! I was already thrilled with that. Then I was able to get in a nearly 45 minute walk on my lunch break and was just shy of 2 miles! I'm a bit tired now, and attempting to get motivated to get some work done. But fortunately with month-end just having ended there isn't too much to do!