Is your menopause similar to your Mother's (or Sister's) as far as age and symptoms

Options
beckyrpl
beckyrpl Posts: 73 Member
Wondering if those of us who are going through menopause (past the perimenopause stage) are experiencing what our Moms' or Sisters experienced as far as symptoms? Age wise, were you about the same age as your Mom when you went through menopause? My Mom died when I was 31, and I know nothing about what she went through - but I have a Sister who is two years older than I am and we're experiencing a lot of the same symptoms. I went through menopause at age 50 - my Sister, a little later - at age 53. We both had horrible hot flashes the first year and a half - but with both of us, they have subsided in both length and frequency. I know we're all different, but my Sister and I definitely 'connect' when it comes to experiencing menopause and all of the issues that come with it!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    No idea. My mom had a hysterectomy. My oldest sister slammed through menopause when her husband died. My other sister has multiple autoimmune disorders so it's hard to know what's menopause. My only living aunt had a hysterectomy. Her daughter had one. I'm a pioneer! lol
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I know I am suffering less from hot flushes than my mum did but by coincidence I have planned to take to my mother about it on my coming visit
  • beckyrpl
    Options
    I really wish I had asked my Mom about her menopause 'experiences'.......I do find it interesting that my Sister and I are experiencing a lot of the same things. I had horrible periods - got my period when I was ten years old - always had horrible cramps, heavy bleeding. I've been in menopause for 3 years, and so far, it's been a much easier time for me. I get hot flashes still, but not nearly as many as I used to get. Not experiencing any other issues (thankfully)!
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I am in perimenopause at 47 ... my mom? She noticed one day at age 43 that she hadn't had a period in well over a year and that was that! She had no symptoms whatsoever. Me? I am not so lucky! however, I have found a supplement called "Hot Flash" that really helps tone down the night sweats and hot flashes.
  • RockinMBC
    RockinMBC Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My Mom was post by 48 - I became post when I was 50. She had a much easier time of it than I. 5 years in I still have such intense hot flashes they give me tachycardia! Geez...
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Mine is very similar to my mom's, but she started taking hormones and I'm not...at least not yet.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Well had a short talk with my mother over the weekend.
    It is not similar. She finished at 56 and had an increase of het period and more intense periods. Lots of hot flashes but that was it really.
    I have not had a period since I finished with the oral contraceptives (2 months) Some hot flashed but not that bad

Big difference I am very active, in shape and healthy BMI. My mother was inactive, out of shape and overweight (possibly already obese then) I wonder if that makes a difference
    I do know I in part went on this MFP journey to become healthier to battle menopause before it hit, thinking a healthy body may have it easier.
    I know it is n=1 and that I am not there yet Just makes me think
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I am alone on this journey. My mother had a hysterectomy when she was 38 and my sister had hers when she was 39. I chose to avoid a hysterectomy by having cryo-ablation for the lining of my uterus at 36.

Now I'm 44 and don't know what to expect or when.
  • beckyrpl
    Options
    aidydh, I feel your pain......I hope it goes smoothly
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    No - not at all.

My mom had a hysterectomy at age 50 and my (older) sister didn't exhibit any symptoms at all.
  • beckyrpl
    Options
    Wow - your older had NO menopausal symptoms?! color me jealous.....LOL! Good for her!
  • Roobyzooby
    Roobyzooby Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My mum isn't the type to talk about it. But I don't think she had any medical or other help to deal with it as far as I'm aware. My sister went through treatment for breast cancer, and now has the all clear (fingers crossed) but her periods never came back after all the treatment. So no one to compare to for me.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    My mom was thrown into early menopause by chemotherapy at about my age now. But I've been peri for at least 4 years, so....
  • beckyrpl
    Options
    For me, Perimenopause was the worst.......never really knowing if or when you'll get your period - and I had horrible migraines (which have pretty much vanished since I've been in menopause, thankfully).
  • deeschange
    deeschange Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My mom and my aunts all had hysterectomies

I’m trying to figure this out as I go and I feel a mess.......

Sweats
    Skin breakouts on body before cycle .... i think it’s called progesterone dermatitis

Moods

Sleep deprivation

Did I say moods
  • beckyrpl
    Options
    Hi, Dee - I understand completely - my Mom died over 20 years ago - and she would have never discussed anything 'personal' such as menopause with my Sister and I. I'm trying to figure this out too. I can relate to the sleep deprivation - I can't remember the last time I had a good nights' sleep! I wish you luck with this!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    My mother literally said to me that she doesn't understand why I'm having menopause symptoms since she didn't and neither did her mother...I get no respect...

B)
  • beckyrpl
    Options
    tcunbeliever, wow..........! Sorry your Mom isn't being very sympathetic. But that's what we're here for!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    My sisters are younger than me, so it will be interesting to see how that goes...maybe I'm the only one who will hit the jackpot!
  • beckyrpl
    Options
    I'm 2 years younger than my Sister, but I went through menopause before she did. I'm wondering if that is because we actually started at about the same time - she began when she was 12 and I started when I was 10 years old.