6 months post mini gastric bypass

Options
scarletspy
scarletspy Posts: 170 Member
Hi

I had my mini gastric bypass in January '19 and have since lost 4 stone. I've been stalled for the last 5-6 weeks so I'm looking at adjusting my diet. When I was in the hospital (I had the surgery abroad) the dietician didn't really give me info on how many calories I should be eating after the operation. She just told me to eat mainly lean proteins. I'm a member or a couple of groups on facebook and the calorie range people suggest on there is quite big so I'm not sure what I should be aiming for. Some say you should only be eating about 800cals each day but no matter what I try I can't manage that. If I try I'm starving all day. The dietician in my NHS group says at 6 months I should be aiming for under 1400 cal each day which I can manage. Pretty big difference between the two. What kind of calorie range do you aim for?

Also, I find chicken keeps me full for longer than other protein but I get sick of eating the same thing all the time. Can you suggest any recipes to keep me from getting bored? Preferably ones that I can freeze because I'm having elbow surgery in a few weeks so I won't be able to cook.

Replies

• HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    At 6 months my recommended calories was around 1000-1200, and now at a year out I eat between 1200-1500!
    I also find chicken the most filing protein, especially since I don’t eat fish. I eat a fair amount of eggs as well! It can get boring but you can also buy ground chicken or turkey and do almost anything to it that you would ground beef.
  • whitetiger011680
    whitetiger011680 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I had lap band in 2011 and considering revision to sleeve or bypass. What is the difference in a mini bypass and bypass?
  • pixydel
    pixydel Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm in Sweden so may be slightly different but 800cal a day is pre-op, after surgery we should be aiming for 1200-1400 with the main focus being protein.
  • HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    pixydel wrote: »
    I'm in Sweden so may be slightly different but 800cal a day is pre-op, after surgery we should be aiming for 1200-1400 with the main focus being protein.

Every program is a bit different for sure, but I agree protein is the big goal across the board I think