Don't Let the Bathroom Scale Get the Better of You

2456789

Replies

  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    maiomaio71 wrote: »
    @NovusDies "unnerved" perfectly describes how I'm feeling today. I've been weighing weekly rather than monthly for the last month or so. Last week, I lost 1.1kg which I thought was quite high, but I've slowly increased my exercise so I guess I was kind of expecting it. Today, I've put on 2kg. What? I've kept at or under my calories limit every day, I don't eat out, cook all our food from scratch, have pretty much done the same exercise which is a 5-6 km daily walk (except I missed Friday's walk). I'm feeling pretty low right now. I was expecting a loss and I get a huge gain. Picking myself up and carrying on but gosh it's hard. Can this be water weight? Really? I'm about to take a school team away for a week to tournament so I can't weigh while away...I'm going to obsess about this till I'm back next Sunday and can weigh again. 😭

    ETA:without this thread and reading all of your experiences, I would probably have thrown in the towel at this stage if this had happened in my previous attempts. So a big thank you to this group and your sharing. I'm going away with my school kids this week with a determination to keep working at it and hope the scale says nicer things to me next Sunday.

    I doubt you accidentally ate the 15,400 calories it would take to gain 2kg. If weekly weighing is new to you is it possible you missed hormonal upswings in the past? Even if that is not the cause there can be so many.

    Try to stay strong. This is temporary. It happens to everyone and it always sucks a little.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    @maiomaio71

    I upticked again today so now I am 4.8 pounds (2.17 kg) heavier than 2 days ago. I am a little surprised but overall I know I have been in a deficit so it will sort itself back out like it always does. I suppose I decided if you were going to be 2kg heavier I would be too.
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    The scale is not being kind to me too. I gained 5 pounds this weekend according to that little devil. I know that I ate more than I have been, and drank some adult beverages. Guestimating my intake I was about at my TDEE so there is no way I ate/drank 17500 calories extra. I expect by Thursday/Friday this week it will stabilize and sort back out. Like @NovusDies always says, just an uptick.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    jjlewey wrote: »
    The scale is not being kind to me too. I gained 5 pounds this weekend according to that little devil. I know that I ate more than I have been, and drank some adult beverages. Guestimating my intake I was about at my TDEE so there is no way I ate/drank 17500 calories extra. I expect by Thursday/Friday this week it will stabilize and sort back out. Like NovusDies always says, just an uptick.

    @jjlewey

    When I have alcohol it seems to add 2 more days to my retention. Your mileage may vary.

    I am up another .8 pounds today so nearly 6 pounds in 3 days. I relaxed a little and had more food over the holiday weekend. I didn't have any alcohol so I should lose most of this by Friday.
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    I wish this didn't bug me so much and I could have faith that it would just even out. I guess once I see that scale go down I'll relax and go with the flow more easily next time. I've managed to increase my NEAT this week although not do any actual planned exercise. Have kept with my calories--I think--no scales so I'm guesstimating everything, but feeling pretty good.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    maiomaio71 wrote: »
    I wish this didn't bug me so much and I could have faith that it would just even out. I guess once I see that scale go down I'll relax and go with the flow more easily next time. I've managed to increase my NEAT this week although not do any actual planned exercise. Have kept with my calories--I think--no scales so I'm guesstimating everything, but feeling pretty good.

    It got easier for me each time it happened. It has never become a fun experience. I have upticked now 4 days in a row for a total of 6.2 pounds. I was expecting 2 to 3 pounds based on what I have eaten and how it normally affects me. I am a little surprised at 6. Ah well... maybe it is good for me to be doing this alongside you.
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    maiomaio71 wrote: »
    I wish this didn't bug me so much and I could have faith that it would just even out. I guess once I see that scale go down I'll relax and go with the flow more easily next time. I've managed to increase my NEAT this week although not do any actual planned exercise. Have kept with my calories--I think--no scales so I'm guesstimating everything, but feeling pretty good.

    I would urge you to get a scale, probably the best investment I made. They are not too expensive around 10 dollars or so on amazon.
    Etekcity Food Digital Kitchen Weight Scale Grams and Oz, Backlit, Stainless Steel(2019 Upgraded) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0113UZJE2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_SZZBDbMW9QJT8
    That is the one I got and it works well enough for what I need.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    jjlewey wrote: »
    maiomaio71 wrote: »
    I wish this didn't bug me so much and I could have faith that it would just even out. I guess once I see that scale go down I'll relax and go with the flow more easily next time. I've managed to increase my NEAT this week although not do any actual planned exercise. Have kept with my calories--I think--no scales so I'm guesstimating everything, but feeling pretty good.

    I would urge you to get a scale, probably the best investment I made. They are not too expensive around 10 dollars or so on amazon.
    Etekcity Food Digital Kitchen Weight Scale Grams and Oz, Backlit, Stainless Steel(2019 Upgraded) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0113UZJE2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_SZZBDbMW9QJT8
    That is the one I got and it works well enough for what I need.

    I think she meant that she didn't have a scale with her while she is on the trip but I am not certain.
  • real_change
    real_change Posts: 53 Member
    I should have posted my uptick after a challenging few weeks (empty nest, first travel since surgery and hosting a huge party) here. I posted under "falling off the wagon" which I didn't really like. I never felt like I was going to permanently give up, even if I wasn't always happy with my decisions. I had one day, in particular, that looked a little too much like the past (eating a bunch of junk food in my car).

    I pretty much gave up alcohol before my surgery but I drank a lot this last week. 😂 My husband and I were pretty excited to celebrate (moderately) successfully raising 4 sons. And I make a mean sangria which we had in abundance at our party.

    So overall, no (or few) regrets. Mostly because you all are teaching me how to live a happy life and lose weight!
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    Empty nesting....that's got to be hard! I think I'd have a Sangria or two as well, and I don't drink! My oldest is about to head to Amsterdam and then the UK. It's going to be tough to say goodbye.
    About the food scales...it's was only this week I was guessing with my portions. I do weigh religiously at home, so I think I'm probably pretty good at determining quantities. Had a few meals that I wouldn't usually choose for myself, that were calorie heavy, but I'm sure I ate below maintenance every day. I'm actually feeling ok with not being 100% accurate for the first time ever. This week has been good for me to break out of my rigid freakout mode. It's liberating to know I'm ok being "close enough" for a short time. I'll probably go back to my pedantic best once I'm home tomorrow but I've enjoyed the mini-break this week. Thanks to all you lot and your wisdom.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,058 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I should have posted my uptick after a challenging few weeks (empty nest, first travel since surgery and hosting a huge party) here. I posted under "falling off the wagon" which I didn't really like. I never felt like I was going to permanently give up, even if I wasn't always happy with my decisions. I had one day, in particular, that looked a little too much like the past (eating a bunch of junk food in my car).

    I pretty much gave up alcohol before my surgery but I drank a lot this last week. 😂 My husband and I were pretty excited to celebrate (moderately) successfully raising 4 sons. And I make a mean sangria which we had in abundance at our party.

    So overall, no (or few) regrets. Mostly because you all are teaching me how to live a happy life and lose weight!

    I am happy you are mostly happy. I am less happy that you had sangria without inviting me. I know... I can't have any because I am pre-op right now...

    The one thing I had to come to grips with is that my life cannot be paused now or after the weight loss phase is over. If I wanted to live my life heavily restricted for forever I could have gone and had weight loss surgery. I chose a messier path for myself. I believe will mean that for forever I will have periods of being back in a deficit to offset all the great food I still want to eat during special occasions.

    Having recently had a 6lb gain after a night out I too have embraced the fact that I need to keep an eye on things once I get to the maintenance weight I am happy with. There will always be celebrations, and other instances where I will actively join in but managing that to ensure I don't slip back to old habits and start regaining is something that I am gradually learning.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    maiomaio71 wrote: »
    Empty nesting....that's got to be hard! I think I'd have a Sangria or two as well, and I don't drink! My oldest is about to head to Amsterdam and then the UK. It's going to be tough to say goodbye.
    About the food scales...it's was only this week I was guessing with my portions. I do weigh religiously at home, so I think I'm probably pretty good at determining quantities. Had a few meals that I wouldn't usually choose for myself, that were calorie heavy, but I'm sure I ate below maintenance every day. I'm actually feeling ok with not being 100% accurate for the first time ever. This week has been good for me to break out of my rigid freakout mode. It's liberating to know I'm ok being "close enough" for a short time. I'll probably go back to my pedantic best once I'm home tomorrow but I've enjoyed the mini-break this week. Thanks to all you lot and your wisdom.

    @maiomaio71 You are really doing great! You have taken giant leaps forward this last week with the scale uptick and being okay with guesses on calories. You should be so proud.

    I like that you have confidence that because you weigh at home you have learned to better estimate with your eyes. I think that is a very important skill to hone. I don't think we ever want to be too reliant on the food scale or even logging to feed ourselves and stay within an appropriate calorie range. I would not ever want to go a very long time without the scale or logging but I feel like I could easily go a month if needed. I am not sure how long it would take for my calories/portions to start creeping up but I would rather not try and find out anytime soon.

    Good job!!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Jackie9003 wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I should have posted my uptick after a challenging few weeks (empty nest, first travel since surgery and hosting a huge party) here. I posted under "falling off the wagon" which I didn't really like. I never felt like I was going to permanently give up, even if I wasn't always happy with my decisions. I had one day, in particular, that looked a little too much like the past (eating a bunch of junk food in my car).

    I pretty much gave up alcohol before my surgery but I drank a lot this last week. 😂 My husband and I were pretty excited to celebrate (moderately) successfully raising 4 sons. And I make a mean sangria which we had in abundance at our party.

    So overall, no (or few) regrets. Mostly because you all are teaching me how to live a happy life and lose weight!

    I am happy you are mostly happy. I am less happy that you had sangria without inviting me. I know... I can't have any because I am pre-op right now...

    The one thing I had to come to grips with is that my life cannot be paused now or after the weight loss phase is over. If I wanted to live my life heavily restricted for forever I could have gone and had weight loss surgery. I chose a messier path for myself. I believe will mean that for forever I will have periods of being back in a deficit to offset all the great food I still want to eat during special occasions.

    Having recently had a 6lb gain after a night out I too have embraced the fact that I need to keep an eye on things once I get to the maintenance weight I am happy with. There will always be celebrations, and other instances where I will actively join in but managing that to ensure I don't slip back to old habits and start regaining is something that I am gradually learning.

    I think as long as we keep learning gradually that is what will make the difference. Weight is gained and lost gradually in most normal situations so as long as we stay alert we can keep correcting course. I am doing this to have a bigger life so I do not want fear to hold me back. I think "healthy concern" would be a good level at which to stay.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited September 2019
    So here is my update on my uptick:

    Over 4 days (Sat - Tues) I gained 6.2 pounds.
    In the last 2 days I have lost 4.4 pound (3.4 over it between yesterday and today).

    As you can see water comes and then it goes. It takes electrolytes with it but I am compensating for that.

    It is unlikely I will get to a new low weight this week but that is normal for me. I might hit a new low next week and when it does happen it will catch me up completely. All of my weight loss will be accounted for within a small margin of error.
  • jafinnearty
    jafinnearty Posts: 59 Member
    I try not to let the scale get the better of me, because unfortunately I am one of those women who gains water weight during both major parts of her cycle...so there are *two* weeks every month where I've gained roughly 3 (average) pounds of water weight!

    It's frustrating as hell, but since I've started keeping track of that stuff, I know when to expect it, and it greatly helps. I urge any woman to keep track of weight versus cycle phases!
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    Wow! Fluctuations are crazy crazy things. Gotta love your data. So pleased you posted that @dhiammarath. This helps so much.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 832 Member
    @maiomaio71 I'm glad it helped you!! You are most welcome!
  • jlucas210
    jlucas210 Posts: 43 Member
    I'm wondering if I should get a new scale or just keep on with the one I'm using since it seems accurate overall. I've been in this pattern where I weigh the exact same for a 5-7 days, then see a new low for a day (sometimes 2) then go back up (sometimes all the way, sometimes only part of the way) & stay there for another 5-7 days. I'm not seeing any variances daily, so it just looks weird to me. This pattern has been going on pretty much since the beginning, but here's the last 19 days for example: 279 for 4 days, 277.5 for 1 day, 279 for 4 days, 277.5 for 5 days, 274.5 for 1 day, then 276.5 for the last 4 days. I've had several stretches of no change that were 8-10 days.

    Now, the reason I say I think my scale is overall pretty accurate is that I went to the Dr. during the 277.5 day stretch & their scale showed 277.2 (granted I did have clothes on at the Dr. office & I don't at home). I had a different Dr. appt early in my journey & I remember their scale being about the same as mine as well.

    I'm wondering if the reason I'm not showing any change on a daily basis is just because my scale apparently only measures in .5 lb increments. It's an older scale & I do the "reset" every time I get on it, I was just expecting my graph to look a lot more varied than it does.