Trying to work out Keto and IF

Options
2»

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Yeah, a little higher than keto level carbs. We went strict, clean Keto pretty much from the beginning.... We originally were shooting for 50 net carbs, but after two days dropped to around 15 net carbs daily and stayed there.

My fiance is young... Much younger than my (45yr old) self, but when I met him two and a half years ago, he was obese, had fatty liver, fibromyalgia, and hypothyroidism (now has none of the above).

We've both had crazy hormonal effects from keto... He has been developing muscles out of no where (not working out), increase in male libido, increase in strength, a few behavioral changes, etc.

Our energy skyrocketed after about one week of being in ketosis.

My daughter on keto also same results... Hormonal changes and energy.

I just attributed all the changes to the significant increase in red meats we've been eating.

We IF 16:8... But not intentionally, after starting Keto, our appetite upon waking vanished.
  • scottyaus2732
    scottyaus2732 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Emma your input has been very much appreciated. I have been fighting the pidgeon holing of saying I’m now on a keto diet and would have much rather stated I’m low carb.

Plus I have been listen to plenty of podcast by Dave Aspry on Bulletproof radio. But keto it is.

My ketone urine stick registered I was in ketosis, several hours after my capacino and after my macadamia nuts that blew out my carbs a tad today. So with discipline and guidance I hope to experience all that that entails over the coming weeks.

For what it’s worth everything I’ve done in the last 5 weeks has not been for nothing as my weight has gone from 114.9 kg to 107.6 kg today. BF 33 something to 28 something. Done on a cheap pair of scales. It for now as long as the tool being used is consistent and time of day is also the trend and mirror is what I’m looking at.

For what it’s worth that care to take the time to motivate/push/educate. My goals are:

Weight 103 kg
    BF less than 20 percent (re-evaluate after that)
    Experience health and zest for life again.
    Be a beast in the footy field.
    Take these attributes into my 50’s, I turn 48 in October.

• Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    Emma your input has been very much appreciated. I have been fighting the pidgeon holing of saying I’m now on a keto diet and would have much rather stated I’m low carb.

Plus I have been listen to plenty of podcast by Dave Aspry on Bulletproof radio. But keto it is.

My ketone urine stick registered I was in ketosis, several hours after my capacino and after my macadamia nuts that blew out my carbs a tad today. So with discipline and guidance I hope to experience all that that entails over the coming weeks.

For what it’s worth everything I’ve done in the last 5 weeks has not been for nothing as my weight has gone from 114.9 kg to 107.6 kg today. BF 33 something to 28 something. Done on a cheap pair of scales. It for now as long as the tool being used is consistent and time of day is also the trend and mirror is what I’m looking at.

For what it’s worth that care to take the time to motivate/push/educate. My goals are:

Weight 103 kg
    BF less than 20 percent (re-evaluate after that)
    Experience health and zest for life again.
    Be a beast in the footy field.
    Take these attributes into my 50’s, I turn 48 in October.

That's Awesome Progress!!!!

I've been kicked out of ketosis a couple of times now, and I can tell. When it happens, I feel bloated and blah! Energy level plummets... Wake the next morning feeling groggy and mild headache.

My fiance and I are hoping to increase proteins soon and see how that goes, start transitioning into maintenance.

My daughter has dropped so much weight, she is trying to increase carbs enough to still be low carb, but quit losing weight!

Ketosis is a crazy thing!!

• scottyaus2732
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Day 4 of Keto and my mood, flu and general sense of normalicy appear to be stabilising. But no massive rush or abundance of energy yet. Weight loss has stabilised and I’m sticking to approx 109 kg.

Time to persevere, persist and be patient and wait for the other benifits to start emerging. Though I’m sure there are already a raft of health markers that are heading in the right direction that I am not aware of.

Though given none if this was in any plan, I was mearly wandering towards health I did make things hard on myself and no doubt the best advice I have received was to take electrolytes.

Given time I intend to chew through the abundance of supplements I have stockpiled in search of my wondering to achieve health.

My staples moving past that point, from what I can gather are:

Keto diet (eating healthiest ingredients I can afford),
    Magnesium,
    Some form of multi vitamin or greens supplement.
    Adrenal switch,
    Life cykle mushroom extracts, and
    MCT oil.

Stabilise for a while and visit a doctor to get health and hormone markers checked.

After reading all the above,

What else is critical?

What else is strongly suggested?

What else is nice to take if you can?

What is a an absolute waste or potentionalky counter intuitive?

Cheers.

PS if there is a thread covering this please point me in that direction.

• Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    Day 4 of Keto and my mood, flu and general sense of normalicy appear to be stabilising. But no massive rush or abundance of energy yet. Weight loss has stabilised and I’m sticking to approx 109 kg.

Time to persevere, persist and be patient and wait for the other benifits to start emerging. Though I’m sure there are already a raft of health markers that are heading in the right direction that I am not aware of.

Though given none if this was in any plan, I was mearly wandering towards health I did make things hard on myself and no doubt the best advice I have received was to take electrolytes.

Given time I intend to chew through the abundance of supplements I have stockpiled in search of my wondering to achieve health.

My staples moving past that point, from what I can gather are:

Keto diet (eating healthiest ingredients I can afford),
    Magnesium,
    Some form of multi vitamin or greens supplement.
    Adrenal switch,
    Life cykle mushroom extracts, and
    MCT oil.

Stabilise for a while and visit a doctor to get health and hormone markers checked.

After reading all the above,

What else is critical?

What else is strongly suggested?

What else is nice to take if you can?

What is a an absolute waste or potentionalky counter intuitive?

Cheers.

PS if there is a thread covering this please point me in that direction.

I never bought the MCT oil. I haven't needed it. I told myself not to invest money in any "keto" marketed products unless I got a very stubborn, very prolonged plateau.

I take magnesium 250 mg.
    I cook mostly with sea salt.
    I very lightly sprinkle potassium salt substitute on my cooked foods.

I take an adrenal blend supplement, but not for keto, for my adrenaline disorder.

I hit most of my nutrients through food, except b12 (mal-absorbent) so I take sublingual b12.

• scottyaus2732
    Options
    ftbtosl55453.jpeg

Two eggs
    Mct oil
    Cheese
    Tuna
    Butter
    Spinach leaves
    Pepper and salt.
  • scottyaus2732
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Clean carb day today.

Minimum protein moderate fat.

Let’s see how this goes.

How I feel.

How long it takes to get back in ketosis.

No IF for two days either. Kinda dictated by footy at 0930 h tomorrow.

• scottyaus2732
    Options
    Update

Struggling with Potassium levels, so getting that potassium salt to help boost it up. Also started drinking coconut water to try and do the same thing, as well as the occasional banana (great pre workout). As a result my net carbs are sitting approx 50 to 60 grams in the search of Potasium.

Though this still allows me to achieve 16 plus hours of fasting a day and some kilojoules in the bank most days (no blow outs yet).

107 kg this morning so steady weight loss. Body comp changing very slowely.

I have had hints of energy above normal but not that massive rush I keep hearing about. To be fair though I think I predominately hover on the cusp of keto, rather than stay in it for prolonged periods. So I imagine this is the cause.

Either way my diet has improved immensely from what it was. My weight has dropped steadily over the period so no complaints here.

Think I’m more low carb than keto and believe diet change and IF are mostly attributable to the successes. Still wouldn’t mind tweaking a few things and experience true fat adaption. Though this may take some time.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    I use Potassium salt substitute called "No Salt salt substitute"

A few light sprinkles a day bumps my potassium up.

It tastes okay sprinkled on prepared foods, but to me tastes bitter when cooked. So I cook with white sea salt.

• scottyaus2732
    Options
    CW: 109 kg
    GW: 103 kg

My goal buy end of September is to 105 kg.

01 Sep - 108.5 kg
    08 Sep - 106.6 kg
    15 Sep -
    22 Sep -
    29 Sep -
  • scottyaus2732
    Options
    After about two months of changing my diet and lifestyle. It’s been rocky, but 8 kg of weight loss (water and inflammation would count for over half of that).

It has been suggested that a guy of my age should eat at maintenance for a week or two and cut back 16/8 IF every day in favour of 2 to 3 20/4 hour fasts a week. Long story short to stop my metabolism slowing down and help prevent any potential bounce back effect when I hit goal weight.

Given that I’m not after much more weight loss and happy for that to come slowely I’m going to do just that. The clean eating won’t change and there will still be one carb up day every ten days or so.

It’s a journey that’s for sure. Started in winter here in Australia (flu season), it has knocked me around. But the mirror shows progress and there are glimpses of energy and mood changes for the better.

Keep on keeping on peeps.
  • scottyaus2732
    Options
    CW: 109 kg
    GW: 103 kg

My goal buy end of September is to 105 kg.

01 Sep - 108.5 kg
    08 Sep - 106.6 kg
    15 Sep - 105.5 kg
    22 Sep -
    29 Sep -