September 2019 Walk Challenge

Options

Replies

• VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I decided I needed to step up the miles on some days (when I'm super energetic/off work/work a half day) so that other days I can walk a little less (when I work 8 full time days in a row, for example). I need to balance the workouts and my work/sleep schedule better. I push myself a lot to get all these miles in plus strength and I'm honestly starting to get worn out!

Sept 4: 8 Miles ~ 4 Mile Punch Up Your Walk + 3 Miles iWalk + 2 Circuits of Tone Every Zone (1 mile)
    Sept 5: 7 Miles ~ 4 Mile Super Challenge + 3 Fast Miles Walk Slim + 23 min HASfit strength lower body
    Sept 6: 7 Miles ~ 2 Mile AM Walk + All 3 Circuits of Tone Every Zone (2 miles) + Miles #1, 3 & 5 of 5 Really Big Miles

40 of 165 miles
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    @VeggieGirlforLife, such a wise decision you have made! I believe that you will find the balance that you are seeking.

My goal for September is to continue to be active in some way at least 5 days a week, while continuing to add in more Leslie miles as well as outdoor walks as tolerated. I will also include other things like yard and garden work to keep me moving, while allowing my knee to completely heal. OK, I'm gonna go out on the limb and start to add in strength with weights or resistance bands walks or workouts ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ˜„.

September 1: Rest Day
    September 2: Decided it was going to be an easier day. Counted 60 minutes between grocery shopping and some working with the garden
    September 3: 3 miles Slim & Sleek 'Pilates Inspired Walk. 15 minutes yard/ garden this morning
    September 4: 3 miles Walk Slim Fast & Firm, plus some gardening
    September 5: 3 hours: a mix of errands & grocery shopping and work in the yard/ garden
    September 6: 3 miles WAP Express: Advanced Walk, 30 minutes garden
    September 7: 2 miles WAP Express: Walk Strong, 1 hour+ in the garden

September 8: Rest Day

keep walking strong y'all ๐ŸŒบ

:flowerforyou:
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    My goal is to keep on with the strength workouts 3 times a week.

9/1.... rest day
    9/2.... 28 minutes of light weights full body workout and 20 minutes of the 5 Day Slim Down
    9/3....35 minutes of an aerobic workout
    9/4....43 minutes of The 5 Day Slim Down
    9/5....41 minutes of light weights, full body workout
    9/6....47 minutes of 5 Mix and Match Miles
    9/7....42minutes of Strength and Stamina
    @AnnofB, you are walking "strong" indeed!! So proud of you for keeping up the strength workouts.
    :

It's been a struggle Mary :) You are doing great with the addition of those strength workouts. You went to the Wayback machine for that WATP Express:Advanced Walk. ;) Another old but so good workout.
  • AnnofB
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I decided I needed to step up the miles on some days (when I'm super energetic/off work/work a half day) so that other days I can walk a little less (when I work 8 full time days in a row, for example). I need to balance the workouts and my work/sleep schedule better. I push myself a lot to get all these miles in plus strength and I'm honestly starting to get worn out!

Good plan. It really is a balancing act, especially when you work. And 8 full time days straight - that's a tough schedule to have to contend with.
  • JoyStoltenburg
    JoyStoltenburg Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Sept Goal is to do some walking everyday! Still trying to get a rhythm to this working thing. I haven't worked for 3.5 yrs so it is tough to get back into it.
    9/1 Sewing
    9/2 Sewing
    9/3 Workout # 195. cleaning spaces 1 hr
    9/4 Workout #196 Walking and cleaning property 1 hr.
    9/5 Workout #197 1 hr walking property and cleaning it as I go
    9/6 Workout #198 1 hr walking property and cleaning it as I go
    9/7 Workout #199 was cleaning house for 1 hr and them walking around Home Depot and Tractor Supply, and stripping and remaking beds.
  • meganmoschops
    meganmoschops Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    AnnofB wrote: ยป
    @meganmoschops - "Planning on doing more but it needs to be a target I can achieve and I won't beat myself up over / give up if I lose the plot." Absolutely. It's a balancing act. Once you find what is doable for you, it's golden.

P.S. What a beautiful cat!

Thanks! ๐Ÿ˜Š She helps with the fitness regime - we play chase running round the house!
  • meganmoschops
    meganmoschops Posts: 39 Member
    Options

9/1.... rest day
    9/2.... 28 minutes of light weights full body workout and 20 minutes of the 5 Day Slim Down

What strength workouts do you do? Are they the ones you mention here? Iโ€™ve done 30 day shred a couple of times before and have got on to day 4 level 2 again over the last few weeks but Iโ€™m bored of doing the same thing!
  • AnnofB
    edited September 2019
    Options

9/1.... rest day

What strength workouts do you do? Are they the ones you mention here? Iโ€™ve done 30 day shred a couple of times before and have got on to day 4 level 2 again over the last few weeks but Iโ€™m bored of doing the same thing!

If you are doing Julian Micheals workouts, you are fit! I know she's a good instructor but I just don't like her attitude.

I too get bored doing the same workouts over and over. To keep boredom at bay, I try to do one light weights workout, one heavy and a yoga workout a week.

Here's my list of strength workouts:

Light weight workouts:
    Cathe Friedrich Basic Step & Body Fusion (I bought this way back in the day when step was popular.) But found the strength portion to be a good fit for me. 20 minutes of upper body, 20 minutes of lower body and a 10 minute ab session. Lot's of reps with light weights, but it moves fast, not boring.

Cathe's Chiseled Upper Body workout is good too. It's still considered a "light weighted" workout, but the weights used are heavier - 5 to 15 lbs) Makes a nice change from the above. When I do this one, I just sort of wing it with lower body and abs.

Skinny Sculpt by Ellen Barrett. (full body workout) Many reps, light weights. You move constantly through it while using 3lb weights. I hadn't done this one in a while, but I thought I would breeze through it last week, ha! I felt it in my quadriceps for days. This is a mix of Pilates, yoga and weights.

For heavy weights, I use :
    Kelly Coffey-Meyer's Strength and Stamina. 3 sets of weights your choice. I use 5, 8 and 10 lb dumb bells and a 7 or 10 lb kettle bell which is optional. There are a lot of premixes which is great. The workouts range from 21 minutes to over an hour. She includes 30 to 45 second burst of cardio moves inbetween the weights. Sometimes I'm not up for that and use the premix section to skip that and or the kettle bell section too.

Jessica Smiths Get Strong. I found this one to be a real challenge. Stepping Strength - strength training with cardio intervals and Strictly Strength 40 minutes of concentrated full body strength.

For yoga, The Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga. Bob Harper's the instructor. It's much more muscle oriented and little to no "mind/body" connection type yoga. On the flip side, I also like Yoga Over 50 by Barbara Benagh. Still tough but its focus is more on the stretch and the calming aspect.

Stay strong!
  • JoyStoltenburg
    Options
    Sept Goal is to do some walking everyday! Still trying to get a rhythm to this working thing. I haven't worked for 3.5 yrs so it is tough to get back into it.
    9/1 Sewing
    9/2 Sewing
    9/7 Workout #199 was cleaning house for 1 hr and them walking around Home Depot and Tractor Supply, and stripping and remaking beds.[/b]
    9/8 Workout #200 30 mins, picking peppers, weeding and killing fire ants plus laundry, chopping all those peppers to freeze for sauces later
  • Americanbabydoll
    Americanbabydoll Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    September Goal = 150 miles

9/1: 5.08
    9/2: 5.06
    9/3: 5.06
    9/4: 5.04
    9/5: 5.13
    9/6: 5.05
    9/7: 5.80
    9/8: 5.65

41.87 out of 150 miles
  • AnnofB
    Options

9/1.... rest day

9/8....29 minutes of the 2 Miracle Miles workout
    9/9....44 minutes of Skinny Sculpt with weights
  • JoyStoltenburg
    Options
    9/1 Sewing
    9/2 Sewing
    9/7 Workout #199 was cleaning house for 1 hr and them walking around Home Depot and Tractor Supply, and stripping and remaking beds.[/b]
    9/8 Workout #200 30 mins, picking peppers, weeding and killing fire ants plus laundry, chopping all those peppers to freeze for sauces later
    9/9 walking & cleaning property and spaces 1 hr 15 mins
  • Americanbabydoll
    Options
    9/9: 5.15

47.02 out of 150 miles
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    @AnnofB, Gotta love the Wayback machine! Especially for the WATP Express series. After all, the 4 mile Super Challenge is part of it!

I had found the Express series DVDs in a local DVD resale shop way back sometime after I had discovered LS, and also MFP. I already knew about the four mile SC from my first ever LS DVD, so I knew these DVDs were gold ๐Ÿ˜„, at least for me. I was happy that someone else didn't want them anymore!

@knjstolt, walking around Home Depot, and I imagine Tractor Supply also, can end up feeling like a half marathon sometimes ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜‚. Glad that you have a pepper harvest to prep!! Did you have to put up a shade cover up over the garden after the tree removal? When I lived in Phoenix we decided to put a shade cover up for our tiny experimental desert area garden when we first moved there. But between having four little ones, including a newborn to take care of, which left me such precious little time to garden in such harsh conditions, and no rain to speak of, it never was successful. But it was a good sandbox for the kids ๐Ÿ˜‚ for those two years.

@meganmoschops, you wrote about your cat:She helps with the fitness regime - we play chase running round the house!. That is too precious! I also agree that she is a beautiful cat ๐Ÿ˜ธ.

@Americanbabydoll, you're adding up that mileage!! Doing awesome ๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŽˆ.

My goal for September is to continue to be active in some way at least 5 days a week, while continuing to add in more Leslie miles as well as outdoor walks as tolerated. I will also include other things like yard and garden work to keep me moving, while allowing my knee to completely heal. OK, I'm gonna go out on the limb and start to add in strength with weights or resistance bands walks or workouts ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ˜„.

September 1: Rest Day
    September 2: Decided it was going to be an easier day. Counted 60 minutes between grocery shopping and some working with the garden
    September 3: 3 miles Slim & Sleek 'Pilates Inspired Walk. 15 minutes yard/ garden this morning
    September 4: 3 miles Walk Slim Fast & Firm, plus some gardening
    September 5: 3 hours: a mix of errands & grocery shopping and work in the yard/ garden
    September 6: 3 miles WAP Express: Advanced Walk, 30 minutes garden
    September 7: 2 miles WAP Express: Walk Strong, 1 hour+ in the garden

September 8: Rest Day
    September 9: 20 minute outside walk, 3 Mega Miles, 1 Walk Blaster
    September 10: 20 minute outside walk, 2 hours+ errands and grocery shopping

:flowerforyou:
  • JoyStoltenburg
    Options
    @texasgardnr no we did not get a cover up over the small vegie patch. But the peppers are going crazy. I even have ghost peppers growing and they are about 7 feet tall. I have raised beds and we by dirt and manure every year for them.

9/1 Sewing
    9/2 Sewing
    9/10 Workout #202 Walking cleaning property and spaces 1:15
  • AnnofB
    Options

9/1.... rest day

9/8....29 minutes of the 2 Miracle Miles workout
    9/9....44 minutes of Skinny Sculpt with weights
    9/10....rest day
  • Americanbabydoll
    Options
    9/9: 5.15
    9/10: 5.04

52.06 out of 150 miles
  • tnicmorris
    tnicmorris Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I just re-started my fitness journey, which newly includes Walking at home. I'd like to do a little walking outside as well, but until Virginia actually cools down, I'm sticking with walking indoors.

Because I'm late getting started and because I'm building my routine up slowly, my goal for September is 20 miles. I'm so impressed with you guys who are getting in over 100 miles in a month, I can't wait to get to that level!
  • JoyStoltenburg
    Options
    9/1 Sewing
    9/2 Sewing
    9/10 Workout #202 Walking cleaning property and spaces 1:15
    9/11 Workout #203 1 hr walking and cleaning property
  • JoyStoltenburg
    Options
    @tnicmorris Welcome. We are all here to support each other