What is a good number of carbs?

Options

Replies

• Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I am a 5'4, 145lb, 50-year-old female. I have been experimenting with carb numbers since Jan of this year and with losing weight all my life. When I eat less than 20 carbs a day, I lose weight consistently at about 2lbs a week. When I eat around 30, I maintain and if I go over about 35, I gain. I also do IF and that helps the loss. I lost about 30lbs the first three months of this experiment, maintained a few months (not intentionally as I wanted to lose), gained for a month and am back to losing now. It seems like each person just has to find their carb sweet spot. Unfortunately, mine is pretty low as my exercise is limited to walking and I am just a small person. I have to almost completely cut out sugar, flour, grains, cheese, fruit, and nuts to lose but can add back cheese, nuts, and fruit in moderation to maintain. I also think like an addict so once I start adding back, it's a slippery slope for me to frappes and cheesecake.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I agree that numbers for weight loss are individual; experiment to see what works for you but 14 lbs in 2 weeks is plenty fast!!
    When I did keto for weight loss, I had about 20 lbs to lose and I went with 30-40 gm net carbs per day and lost 24 lbs in about 4 months. I was very happy with that.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Fivepts wrote: »
    I am a 5'4, 145lb, 50-year-old female. I have been experimenting with carb numbers since Jan of this year and with losing weight all my life. When I eat less than 20 carbs a day, I lose weight consistently at about 2lbs a week. When I eat around 30, I maintain and if I go over about 35, I gain. I also do IF and that helps the loss. I lost about 30lbs the first three months of this experiment, maintained a few months (not intentionally as I wanted to lose), gained for a month and am back to losing now. It seems like each person just has to find their carb sweet spot. Unfortunately, mine is pretty low as my exercise is limited to walking and I am just a small person. I have to almost completely cut out sugar, flour, grains, cheese, fruit, and nuts to lose but can add back cheese, nuts, and fruit in moderation to maintain. I also think like an addict so once I start adding back, it's a slippery slope for me to frappes and cheesecake.

ditto for me!
  • EelkoDoesKeto
    EelkoDoesKeto Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Twinkley, you could try cauliflower rice... its not quite the same, but quite delicious and very low on carbs...
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Twinkley, you could try cauliflower rice... its not quite the same, but quite delicious and very low on carbs...

Have you tried the miracle rice yet? Everyone goes on and on about how good it is. It's another one on my must try in near future list!!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options

Have you tried the miracle rice yet? Everyone goes on and on about how good it is. It's another one on my must try in near future list!!

I have always loved all kinds of rice including red and black. The Miracle Rice is sad. I will never buy it again (and I love the 'pastas'), it reminds me of tapioca pearls and bubble tea. Absolutely nothing like rice at all. :/ But, hey, we're all different. Invest in a package and decide for yourself.

• Emmapatterson1729
    edited August 2019
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »

I have always loved all kinds of rice including red and black. The Miracle Rice is sad. I will never buy it again (and I love the 'pastas'), it reminds me of tapioca pearls and bubble tea. Absolutely nothing like rice at all. :/ But, hey, we're all different. Invest in a package and decide for yourself.

@canadjineh

Thanks, that does change things, ;)

If it's textured like tapioca pearls....It might work well in homemade sushi rolls.... But I doubt I'd enjoy that texture plain.

I got burned out on boba/bubble teas a long time ago.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    my dad did some work in China waaaay back when; early 90s. He brought home these canned soda things that had the tapioca pearls in them. And we kiddos had never seen/tasted/felt such things. They grossed me out then...gross me out now. LOL My 16 year old LOVES boba/bubble tea and i die a little inside every time I look at it. I CANNOT get over the texture.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    my dad did some work in China waaaay back when; early 90s. He brought home these canned soda things that had the tapioca pearls in them. And we kiddos had never seen/tasted/felt such things. They grossed me out then...gross me out now. LOL My 16 year old LOVES boba/bubble tea and i die a little inside every time I look at it. I CANNOT get over the texture.

I went through a phase were I loved that texture: boba, mochi balls, dongo...gummy foods.

I got a couple of bad batches of boba... Not soaked long enough... Got really sick at the thought of boba after those.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    @mmultanen That's me with Chia seeds :D I like it mixed into oatmeal or baked stuff or maybe sprinkled onto a salad but I just can't do the Pudding! I think it started when someone described it like a fish eggs or something. And how it clumps up... eeek

I never had the miracle rice. I just like the Shirataki noodles or Konnyaku ones. But again, it has to be prepared and cooked right, otherwise it's like chewing rubber with no flavor-yuck!
  • Trekjohnc
    Trekjohnc Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    @mmultanen OK so Im zooming off topic but since we're talking about texture - one trick I use is when making smoothies, put almond milk in blender then add flax seeds and let sit for 5 minutes while doing other prep. Then when you blend, they'll be hydrated add will a bit more consistency.
  • Trekjohnc
    Trekjohnc Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    @mmultanen OK now've got me curious. I travel a lot. The next time I'm in China I'm going to look for this. :)
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    Trekjohnc wrote: »
    @mmultanen OK now've got me curious. I travel a lot. The next time I'm in China I'm going to look for this. :)

I've never had the sodas, but the (tapioca pearl, boba, bubble different names for same thing) teas and smoothies are sold all over US now.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I'll have to see if my dad can remember what the sodas were. I can't remember what they were called. He also had some that had fish eggs in them. Lol
  • nrs101364
    nrs101364 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Q
    Trekjohnc wrote: »
    @mmultanen OK so Im zooming off topic but since we're talking about texture - one trick I use is when making smoothies, put almond milk in blender then add flax seeds and let sit for 5 minutes while doing other prep. Then when you blend, they'll be hydrated add will a bit more consistency.

I used to make smoothies with flax/ chia and I would soak them overnight. Never tasted or noticed anything off
  • prowell57
    prowell57 Posts: 140 Member
    Options

@Fivepts
    I've been playing around with my carbs as well. I started with strict keto the second week in July and found it very hard to stay under 20g a day. I would raise the carbs then had trouble meeting other macros. So this week I've decided to do low carb/keto instead of strict keto. I set my carbs to 30-50 grams per day. Since I just changed my carb uptake this week I'm curious to see how it's going to work ;) My weigh-in day is on Sundays so guess I'll see this weekend how the low carb will work for me. I'm a 5'2", 202 lb, 61 yr old female. When I started strict keto (2nd week of July) I weighed 221lbs and last Sunday (sept 1st) I weighed in at 202 lbs.
    Good luck with figuring things out! We're all on this journey together.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    prowell57 wrote: »

@Fivepts
    I've been playing around with my carbs as well. I started with strict keto the second week in July and found it very hard to stay under 20g a day. I would raise the carbs then had trouble meeting other macros. So this week I've decided to do low carb/keto instead of strict keto. I set my carbs to 30-50 grams per day. Since I just changed my carb uptake this week I'm curious to see how it's going to work ;) My weigh-in day is on Sundays so guess I'll see this weekend how the low carb will work for me. I'm a 5'2", 202 lb, 61 yr old female. When I started strict keto (2nd week of July) I weighed 221lbs and last Sunday (sept 1st) I weighed in at 202 lbs.
    Good luck with figuring things out! We're all on this journey together.

I've just recently upped my carbs also.

Been adding in higher carb fruit daily (apple, pear, plum, nectarine, peach, etc).

Still eat a lot of veggies, and still coming in low net carbs.

Was at like 12-15 net carbs, now coming in around 25-30 net carbs.

I try not to freak out over my total carb macros and pie chart until I subtract fibers under nutrients. So far, so good!!
  • Fivepts
    Options

Me neither, but I think it's the fact that it is in a liquid.

• Fivepts
    Options
    How is everyone doing? I was visiting in Istanbul (with no scale and eating out a lot) and fell off the low carb wagon, thanks mainly to fruit. Anyway, I am back home where the fruit is not as tempting, not to mention the deserts, so I am at it again.