New to the group!

rbl1225
rbl1225 Posts: 235 Member
New to the group! My doctor suggested keto for fertility issues and I’ve been doing great on it!

My work schedule can be insane.

Looking for fast and easy recipie ideas!

Please post away!!!

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019
    In my house, we eat meat and veggies cooked in olive oil, seasoned and seared or baked.

I make enough meat for lunch (breakfast) the next day.

Like make up steak seared with peppers, onions, and mushrooms, add cheese, for a breadless Philly cheesesteak. Can serve in lettuce/cabbage wraps or bowls.

Next day, left over steak over mixed greens, with cheese, black olives, avocado, cucumber, tomatoes, onion, and salad dressing.

Make up ground beef, with taco seasoning, make taco salad for dinner, cilantro, mixed greens, cheese, onions, sour cream, black olives, salsa, diced tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, guacamole (or avocados).

Next day use leftover meat for Tex Mex omelet. Heat butter in small skillet, beat egg and put in skillet, sprinkle some cheese, put taco seasoned beef on one side, heat until egg is cooked, slide and flip out on plate, top with sour cream, cilantro, avocados, etc.

We cook like this with lots of different profiles, Italian, Greek, Mid-Eastern, Indian, etc.
  • scottyaus2732
    scottyaus2732 Posts: 67 Member
    edited August 2019
    New to keto diet and never really been a cook.

But here is something I just pulled off in ten minutes. It was yum.

f8g30n3q6pgi.jpeg

Two eggs
    Mct oil
    Cheese
    Tuna
    Butter
    Spinach leaves
    Pepper and salt.

• scottyaus2732
    scottyaus2732 Posts: 67 Member
    i88fcitybaxf.jpeg
  • booksnbrains
    booksnbrains Posts: 119 Member
    Welcome! I’ve been eating low carb off and on for nearly ten years and have several go to keto recipes.

Taco bowls
    Ground beef with taco seasoning, cheese, sour cream, and guacamole.

Avocados split in half and filled with cheese and bacon or tuna. Or even egg salad.

Chiccarone nachos

Roasted chicken thighs with blue cheese or ranch dressing

I will often pack a bowl of cauliflower rice and leftover protein or burger patty to take to work for lunch. I get several kinds of ‘burgers’ in the freezer section at Costco - cod, salmon, turkey, beef. These are great if you’re in a rush and/or don’t like cooking. With the leaner meats, I add olive or coconut oil to add flavor and fat.
  • amandajoyb
    amandajoyb Posts: 14 Member
    Last night we had keto Taco Salad. The whole family LOVES it and ask for it regularly!
    https://greenandketo.com/keto-taco-salad-recipe

AB
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited September 2019
    Hello - I have to wait to get paid to go out and buy groceries for Keto. I have enough frozen Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice frozen dinners to do me till then. I’m so excited to be part of this group.

Smart to wait!!

Starting before payday is rough. I started just before payday... Was living on eggs and cheese with very little produce or meat;

Good luck, welcome.
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Hi! I'm new to the group but have been doing Keto for about 5 weeks. My daughter is a pro and has been coaching me, helping with meals, etc.

I've lost weight and my macros have been looking pretty good. I recently raised my carb limit a little so I could work in more fiber, but still staying around 20 net carbs each day.

Question: I've been using urine test strips to check my Keto level... and I've never really gotten into ketosis according to those strips! The closest I've come is small (between 0.5 and 1.5). The strips have not expired, and my daughter is in ketosis and it registers that for her.

Is it possible that I *AM* in ketosis, and it just doesn't register? Or can it really take weeks to actually get there? I have a LOT of weight to lose. Does that make a difference?

Any suggestions?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I believe with the strips, if you are registering ANYTHING, then you are in ketosis.
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    CariJean64 wrote: »
    Is it possible that I *AM* in ketosis, and it just doesn't register?

Yes. Urine strips only measure ketones your body doesn't use for fuel.

• CariJean64
    Thank you both! I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, then, and try testing again in a week or so.
  • leahk80
    leahk80 Posts: 114 Member
    Here's a Chaffles(cheese waffles) recipe I just tried:
    makes two servings
    (one chaffle is one serving)

One egg
    1 Tbsp Almond flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp(or 1 cap full) vanilla extract
    1 shake (or more to taste) Cinnamon powder
    1 cup of shredded cheese (mozzarella or cheddar)

Mix egg and vanilla first then add 1 ingredient in at a time.

Spray your waffle maker with coconut oil cooking spray ( or olive oil spray)
    cook each chaffle for 5 minutes.

I use Lakanto's sugar free maple syrup and kerry gold butter.

:)
  • CariJean64
    leahk80 wrote: »

I use Lakanto's sugar free maple syrup and kerry gold butter. :)

Everything is better with Kerrygold!

• LRLemon
    LRLemon Posts: 51 Member
    Almond Flaxseed Meal crackers.4r77suyzzdhx.jpga59u2olywg68.jpgvdloq7ivw7qx.png

• Olblueiiii
    Olblueiiii Posts: 43 Member
    Hello. I'm Dan. I'm new to this group, but I've been a member of MFP for 9 years. In December of 2017, I had lost over 90 lbs of the 120 lbs I needed to reach my goal. As it turns out, I wish I hadn't given away all my big clothes. In May of 2018, I had the first of 4 surgeries on my feet. One at a time, each foot was reconstructed and then 6-8 weeks later, the ankle was replaced(See my profile pic.). I've been sitting in my chair recovering for 16 months now. Apparently, during that time, I was gaining about a pound a week. It really snuck up on me. I'm just getting to where I can walk again, but not well enough to call it exercise. On September 1, 2019, I started trying to lose some weight again. On September 18, I started a Keto diet of 1200cal-1500cal. My profile says I've lost 31 lbs, but 17 0f those were from 2017. I'm happy with 14 lbs lost. Just 95 more to go to get to my goal of 219, at which time I will reassess things. I think, ultimately, I could make it to Onederland. I know I can lose the weight because I've done it before; I've already had a good start. Let's Go!!
  • Vowder
    Vowder Posts: 378 Member
    Olblueiiii wrote: »
    Hello. I'm Dan. I'm new to this group, but I've been a member of MFP for 9 years. In December of 2017, I had lost over 90 lbs of the 120 lbs I needed to reach my goal. As it turns out, I wish I hadn't given away all my big clothes. In May of 2018, I had the first of 4 surgeries on my feet. One at a time, each foot was reconstructed and then 6-8 weeks later, the ankle was replaced(See my profile pic.). I've been sitting in my chair recovering for 16 months now. Apparently, during that time, I was gaining about a pound a week. It really snuck up on me. I'm just getting to where I can walk again, but not well enough to call it exercise. On September 1, 2019, I started trying to lose some weight again. On September 18, I started a Keto diet of 1200cal-1500cal. My profile says I've lost 31 lbs, but 17 0f those were from 2017. I'm happy with 14 lbs lost. Just 95 more to go to get to my goal of 219, at which time I will reassess things. I think, ultimately, I could make it to Onederland. I know I can lose the weight because I've done it before; I've already had a good start. Let's Go!!

Good luck.

I've don't Keto before. This will be my 3rd time losing 100+ lbs.

Doc says it is hard on my body to do Keto, but it is better than carrying 100lbs extra around. This time, when I am down close to my goal weight, I am going to see someone about how to keep it off. I lose weight really well. That is a not a problem. I can gain weight really well. That is easy as we all know.

By Jan or Feb next year, I intend to me at my goal weight and will have to learn how to maintain weight.

Welcome to Keto Olblueiiii. I hope you find keto as enjoyable as I do. I don't find keto difficult at all... while I am losing.

Vowder
  • libby6972
    libby6972 Posts: 2 Member
    Hello everyone. I'm Liz. I've officially been eating low carb for over 100 days and keto for 10 weeks. SW: 193 CW: 170 GW: 145. I've lost 23 lbs, 61 inches and walk at least 3 miles every day. My goal is to keep my macros at 80%-F/15%-P/5%-C. I am pretty consistent give or take a couple of percentages. I am loving my results, but am truly the most impressed with my non-scale victories. I reduced my inflammation down to almost nothing, have had ZERO issues with seasonal allergies at all since starting keto, lowered my BP to normal and sleep so soundly and at least 7 hours a night.

I have been on a weight loss journey my ENTIRE adult life. Up and down the scale CONSTANTLY. I am hoping to break that trend with keto. This has to be the best thing I've ever done. I am no longer addicted to carbs and sugar.

I am looking forward to discussing best and worst practices with everyone.

Thanks,

Liz

• sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    I've just started Keto a couple weeks ago. Finally getting the hang of it all and feeling like this is going to be my last effort to lose weight because I will be successful. I am plagued with autoimmune issues that affect joints and muscles. Inflammation is a constant companion that I hope to be able to kick to the curb and say good-bye to. My highest weight has been 204 pounds on my 5'1" body. Not a healthy place to be at all. I'm already down to 198! The first major weight loss I have had in over 10 years.