Like Minded Lushes - Fall 2019

SoCalWoman
SoCalWoman Posts: 2,384 Member
edited October 2019 in Social Groups
Cool, crisp days, Oktoberfest, and the holidays are around the corner! :drinker:

Replies

• ryzeman
    ryzeman Posts: 870 Member
    Thanks for starting the new thread Syd- it looks like you are our leader. Has anyone heard from Robin?

Thanks to Syd and Amy for the sympathies. Tomorrow we take my dad to Seattle for his surgery. It will be a long day. He has to stay for at least one night, so depending on how it goes, we may not come home. No doubt we will all be exhausted.
  • SoCalWoman
    No sign of Robin. I can manage to start a new thread every 3 months but that's about the extent of my leadership around these parts :D

Sending all the positive healing vibes to you for a quick and easy recovery for your dad. I know how stressful it can be! <3
    I had 3 glasses of wine last night as we met up with a couple we haven't seen in years. I'm moving slow today
  • ryzeman
    The surgery went well and we brought my dad home yesterday late afternoon. He will be on a liquid diet for a few days followed by pureed food for a week or so before gradually adding other foods.

I had a dr appt today which went well.

After a week of company, hospitals and dental and dr appts- I can finally crash and recover.

Happy fall everyone! :drinker:
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Yay! That sounds good... crash and recover
    I had no drinks Sun-Wed then had one wine Thurs. didn't even really want it.
    Tonight I had 4 beers.
    Tomorrow we are going to HArdley Strictly Bluegrass is Golden Gate PArk to see Robert Earl Keen. Will probably have a few drinks.
    Sunday is my husband's bday and we're going to an Argentinian steakhouse, probably there will be wine.
  • SoCalWoman
    Ohhhh...an Argentinean steak house sounds fun. I've never been to one.

Ok I need to step up my exercise routine. My shoulder has been f'ed up for several months but that shouldn't stop me from getting in more cardio. So that's my October goal. 30 minutes of dedicated cardio at least 4×/week.

I probably should cut down on my wine consumption too...but hey, let's tackle 1 thing at a time for now, right? :D:drinker:

Have a great week lushes!
  • amysj303
    M-W=0 drinks Th=1, Fri=4, Sat=6, Sun=2
    Argentinian steakhouse was good, we split a bottle of tepranillo an 18-oz ribeye, shrimp and veggie skewers, pork belly, and churros for dessert!.
    Now, another week. Check in tomorrow.
  • amcanzo
    amcanzo Posts: 418 Member
    Haha - all I could think of when Gary said Syd was our leader was "take me to your leader" :D

I told myself after I got back from Florida that I was going to buckle down, exercise more, eat better, cut back on drinking... I got back from Florida a month ago! :#:# ugh...My eating has been atrocious, my drinking has been even more atrocious! My scale is saying "you're going the wrong way!"

Glad your dad's surgery went well Gary! :)
  • SoCalWoman
    Haha Ann :D Ok here's my leadership inspirational quote for you:

"A good leader inspires people to have confidence in the leader,
    a great leader inspires people to have confidence in themselves."

(Wish I could take credit for it but that's all Eleanor Roosevelt)

I've met my exercise goals this week, so I feel good about that! Even went to the gym 1 day with the husband. We're trying to navigate this retirement/togetherness thing.

Hoping the scale rewards me for my hard work, but I'm still indulging in my wine...because well...I'm in a lush group and am doing my part :drinker:
  • ryzeman
    Up in Bothel bbsitting the grandson. Home tonight with the intent of re starting my healthy routine. That includes being more active on myfitnesspal !!!
  • amysj303
    Last week Mon and Tues=0
    Wed= 2 drinks
    Thursday=0 drinks.
    Friday=4 drinks
    Saturday=6 drinks
    Sunday=3 drinks
    Monday=2 drinks

In-laws were visiting and I was eating a bunch of great food.
    I felt earthquakes for the first time. The first one was small, last week, and then last night it was much longer, stronger. Still relatively small.

I need to do a better job with logging and getting in workouts! Started weekly weigh ins and so far no change but tomorrow might be up...
  • SoCalWoman
    Welcome to earthquake country, Amy!
    You're getting some 0s in there which is more than I can say.

Keeping up with my exercise routine pretty well so that's positive but not so great on the other fronts. :/
  • amcanzo
    Had a pretty good week - food & exercise-wise
    Mon - 0 drinks
    Tues = 0
    Wed - 2 glasses red win
    Thurs - 0
    Last night I caved and had 5 guys burger and cajun fries...so yummy but I'm trying not to eat much meat anymore so yeah...
    Syd - My daughter is out in your neck of the woods, I think...she's in Burbank till Tuesday. Wave to her for me :DB)

Amy - Good job on the zero's
    Has anyone heard from Robin?? Just wondering if she is ok....
  • ryzeman
    Its been a while since we heard from Robin. Does anyone have an alternate method? Maybe I will see if she has a FB page.
  • SoCalWoman
    Ann that's a good week! I treat myself to InnOut about once every 3 months or so...worth it!! Your daughter is here during some very summer like weather. We went to the beach yesterday and it was gorgeous!!

I'm convinced Robin went to Hawaii and never came back! That's my hope for her anyway. She hated her job as much as my husband did and it's just such a toxic way to go through life.

We walked at the beach but I also had 2 glasses of wine so...kinda my usual story :drinker: Got the son coming up tonight for dinner and to watch the opening game for the Lakers. There probably will be beer. I'm going to try to at least get in a good workout today. Good news is I think my shoulder is finally showing signs of improvement!!

• amysj303
    I had a bit better of a weekend than usual because my husband didn't feel like drinking Friday so I had a couple of beers. Saturday I had a can of wine at mod pizza, it was pretty good, I didn't really think that 12 oz is like 2.5 glasses? Then we went out and I had a paloma and a beer, so 4.5 drinks. Sun-Wed=0s
    Got a couple of workouts. Weigh in tomorrow!
  • gwenm4
    gwenm4 Posts: 127 Member
    Hi there! Been a while! Catching up on all of your successes. Lots of 0s. I'm on day 2 of a pretty dedicated break from drinking. Something has got to give and I feel so much better when I don't drink. So... we shall see. Listening to a really good podcast which I hope will help. Not saying I'll quit forever, but I'm hoping to "remove alcohol from my diet" for a while to lose weight and feel better. The challenge is that it's a very social thing so we'll see how that pans out for me.

Other than that, fall is here and I'm just happy for cooler weather. Keep up the great work, all, and I hope you have a great week!
  • SoCalWoman
    edited October 2019
    Hi Gwen! Good to see you. Sounds like you've got a great plan in place. Good luck! (And please drop in to let us know how it goes...you don't have to be drinking to take part in this group. :) )

I actually had 4 0's last week totally unplanned. I just didn't feel like drinking, which let's be honest, rarely happens :D I do think I've been fighting a slight bug (post flu shot?). Unfortunately I didn't drop any weight because when I don't drink I do tend to replace those calories on crap food. It's all a bit ridiculous.
    One great thing I'm proud of is I've kept up with the exercise. I really had fallen off the wagon with it, so I'm proud of myself.

Happy Halloween lushes :drinker:
  • amcanzo
    Syd- Great job on the exercise! For me, that's half the battle so good for you!

Gwen- good to see you and I know what you mean about the social aspect of drinking. I struggle with that as well.

Went up north this past weekend, went deer hunting. Didn't get anything but enjoyed a few cocktails and time with family. Zeros last night and tonight. Happy Halloween all :)
  • gwenm4
    gwenm4 Posts: 127 Member
    Syd, thank you! I definitely will be keeping up with you all. As I said, not sure what will happen when Friday rolls around. We have a party to go to this weekend so we shall see.
  • ryzeman
    I see lots of us are back on the thread! That makes me happy. As far as I am going, I feel a lack of focus on myself as events seem to distract me from taking care of myself. Just when I make up my mind to start with the exercise and eating/drinking healthier, something seems to get in the way. Last night my mom called me and said my dad (90) is tired of living and wants to talk to his Dr about hospice. They asked me to go with them. I agreed.

Myself, and no doubt all of you, are out of their comfort zone dealing with end of life issues. I need to tell myself that by eating right and getting in some exercise, I will be better able to cope with my dad's end of life. Wish me luck.