How many net carbs is your "low carb"?

Replies

• ptrcmcc6
    ptrcmcc6 Posts: 103 Member
    For now, I'm trying to keep them under 100g. There have been days when I have gone over and days when I fell short of 100g but I'm trying to keep a healthy mindset and not fret about it to the point where I say, 'this isn't working' and I give up. My goal is to, eventually, get down to under 50g per day but I plan on doing it in steps. I'll do this for about a month and then re-evaluate and try to cut back on the foods I eat which are a little higher in carbs.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    I do Keto and I don't really track Net carbs, but try to keep my Total under 50g.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    I’m usually 5-10 carbs a day usually from dairy and seafood.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    I try to keep it under 65g and having a hard time.
    I'm no longer doing keto and just trying to stick to low carbs. But having that allowance, makes it harder!!! Trying to learn from you guys!!
  • Sylphadora
    Sylphadora Posts: 75 Member
    Under 20
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Between 25-35 carbs a day.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    I count as total carbs, not net. And keep at or right below 50. Sometimes I will bank a few and on one weekend day go up to 60 but not often.
    Not doing KETO, but totally admit I have used a number of KETO meals and yummy sweets to help me along the way,
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    I go a different way and don't have a static number and have learned over time to just give the body whatever it needs. Might be at 20 net for a few days to the point that keto breath kicks in and could also have periods where I'm at 150 net on heavy workout days to refuel the muscles. Same goes for fat/protein and overall calorie consumption. I generally like to look at it as a week worth of macros/calories vs a day. Life is easier that way for me on a health journey.
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    I love the way you're looking at it and it make sense. Do you have an average though, even if in a week or more? Or, do you go by percentage of daily calories--if you workout more, then you take more carbs, which makes sense too.
    qweck3 wrote: »
    I go a different way and don't have a static number and have learned over time to just give the body whatever it needs. Might be at 20 net for a few days to the point that keto breath kicks in and could also have periods where I'm at 150 net on heavy workout days to refuel the muscles. Same goes for fat/protein and overall calorie consumption. I generally like to look at it as a week worth of macros/calories vs a day. Life is easier that way for me on a health journey.

• qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    @snha and anyone interested.

Carbs are a tricky thing for me being a controlled Type 2 diabetic and my intake levels of it is directly tied into timing around my workouts so the muscles consume the glucose and I don't get my body flooded with toxic levels. (Glycogen stores in the muscles).

The type of workout and length really dictates it. Weight lifting = heavy carbs for me up to 250grams. Light yoga = 100 grams or less. Walking/Running = 100 grams or less. Power yoga = heavy carbs up to 175 grams. Days on the couch I would likely be around 20-120 grams but a lot of my food intake those days is so heavy fiber driven being a lacto-ovo-vegetarian that I have no real desire for junk carbs those days due to my WOE.

I wish I could say there was an exact amount but after a while the body sends its own signals of what it needs. In the beginning I just did keto for 3 months and once I became fat adapted life got a lot simpler with reading my body needs. I do a few keto days here and there still but am still fat adapted even without it according to RMR testing.

Carbs get a really bad wrap but they really are just near instant energy for the body or muscle stores if used correctly. It's the excessive consumption of carbs that are trouble because it converts to fat and leads to other body problems a lot quicker than the other macros. Lots of water needed in the body to handle excessive carbs as well thus the silly water weight drops people get when the think they lost 10 pounds of fat in 7 days then freak out when it all comes back when they eat a lot of carbs again.
  • samandheatherdover
    samandheatherdover Posts: 20 Member
    Staying under 20 net carb which is super hard for me.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Thank for mansplaining, Anubis609. :D
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member

*mod sigh*
    Please do not cause trouble for me. :disappointed:
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member

My pleasure. I tend to be a spoiler.
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Oof. I thought I'd check out one of those Monteli pizzas last night. Even though it's cauliflower crust the whole thing clocked in at a bit over 100 carbs. Let's just say it hasn't been a good day today between the throbbing migraine and mild joint swelling.

I can ease up around 50 - 60 or so without any issues, but something in that pizza did not agree with my body. And upon looking at the ingredients the darn thing still has wheat in it. *sigh* :|
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    My carbs have varied over the last 3 months. I started at 50 net carbs (but didn't care what source they came from).

That only lasted a few days, then dropped to 25 or under net carbs. Naturally was coming in around 5-11 net carbs daily.

Second month, I tried to add fruit in daily (peaches, plums, nectarines, oranges, pears, etc). Was coming in around 30-50 net carbs daily. Did not like the way I felt, energy level plummeted.

Third month, cut carbs way low again. Back to meats, oils, and a handful of veggies. Energy level back up, pain levels down. I might have to increase carbs a little with veggies and dairy, to slow weightloss down, still losing, and don't want to get too thin.

• shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Energy level back up, pain levels down. I might have to increase carbs a little with veggies and dairy, to slow weightloss down, still losing, and don't want to get too thin.

I've upped my calories and carbs a bit so I can get a variety of low sugar fruits in so I can ease up on the supplements and add a bit of variety in my diet. And to stall/stop the weight loss. I could lose a bit more but not much with my build.

I wish I could say my energy and pain levels change with ultra low carbs but they don't. What does change is inflammation, migraines, and mental clarity. I can tell within a matter of hours to a day or so when something doesn't agree with my body. Skin rash comes back, inflammation comes back with a vengeance, and my head feels like it's gonna explode.

I did recently eat two meals that surprisingly had no negatives whatsoever, which was surprising. Yellow chicken curry from a place near my house and Pad Thai Chicken for my sisters birthday. The curry wasn't so much of a surprise really, but I really figured the Pad Thai noodle would mess me up big time. *shrug*

Oh! I just looked and Pad Thai noodles are rice noodles - that explains it. Rice doesn't bother me.

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    I've experimented with a range over the past 4 years (really longer, since I did Dukan for a while before that). I don't seem to lose weight unless I'm at 50 net or lower, but I can maintain at 50-80 net as long as I stay reasonably active. (43 y/o female with PCOS and MS.)