Arthritis and Joint Pain

kosseychick
kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
Hello everyone. I'm looking for suggestions for helping soothe my arthritis and joint pain. I've developed osteoarthritis in my hands,knees and feet. The pain in my hands has been unbearable this last week. My job consists of alot of driving, writing and using a lap top. I'm currently taking Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM for joint pain as well as Tylenol Arthritis. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I am seeing my doctor next week on an unrelated issue so I will ask him as well. Thanks in advance😊

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    The diagnosis for my knees is arthritis so I will be following this as well. I start medical treatment first of November.

I did note Ann's suggestion here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/44286696/#Comment_44286696

I am not sure what I am supposed to feel about acupuncture but icing down seems like an obvious step that I have not been doing.
  • ConfidentRaven
    ConfidentRaven Posts: 1,428 Member
    I don’t know how much this will help you, but my pain in my feet, knees, and back can be affected by what shoes I wear. I have to wear shoes with good arch support and hard bottoms or I’m in for a lot of pain, even when the shoes are off. I still have some pain with the good shoes, but it’s far less than with bad ones.
  • kosseychick
    @NovusDies ... maybe I can get in to Physiotherapist... that's a great idea.. they probably have some exercises for me to try. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • kosseychick
    @ConfidentRaven .. I agree about the shoes.. the wrong ones can really mess up my back, hips, knees and feet.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Ask your doctor what kind of arthritis you have....blood tests might be ordered....my husband suffers terribly from severe RA that refuses to stop progressing....I have some mild arthritis....it’s two very different things....RA attacks not only your joints but your vital organs...my husband went from walking 8 to 10 miles a day two years ago to walking around our house on a good day...he isn’t immobile but who knows where this will end....the new biologic drugs inflame his pancreas and the RA has already affected his kidneys and heart...this is a terrible disease and hope you do not have it...I never realized what RA can damage in your body...
  • kosseychick
    @conniewilkins56 .. yikes... I'll definitely talk to my doctor about it. I have enough issues with my heart, I dont need this added to it. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • MatthewRuch
    MatthewRuch Posts: 165 Member
    @kosseychick while you are looking at treating it medically, have you thought about doing workouts in a pool? They are much easier on the joints while still being able to put some serious work in?
  • kosseychick
    @MatthewRuch I do go to the pool when I'm in town after working my stint in the bush each month. I find it to be amazing for my body. It's my preferred method of getting my exercise in. I am thinking I should try some gentle yoga that I can do in my room when I'm away working..
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    My aches and pains seem to be trending down since I started making a point of eating olive oil every day. Added avacado but its not a daily thing. Avacado toast makes a much better snack than the baked chips it has replaced most days. But none of it is quick fix. Just seems better after several months.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    And I want to add that I’ve put in significant work on my posture. Retired from my long drive commute to a desk job. I think the driving was the worst part. Driving in traffic was where I was really locked in tense. Not good.
  • kosseychick
    I've increased my salmon and flax seed intake. I do use olive oil allready.. it's unfortunate but I cant stomach avocado... it's a texture thing for me..lol
  • kosseychick
    I hear you about the driving. I do alot of driving for work.. between wildlife like moose, deer and black bears, aggressive drivers and horrible winter road conditions I can get pretty tense behind the wheel.
  • michne16
    michne16 Posts: 538 Member
    I have OA in my right knee. It was really bothering me last year before I started losing weight and I went to PT for it as well as had a cortizone shot. A few weeks ago it started giving me trouble again. I have been a lot more active the last few weeks so I am not sure if that is it or not. I'm getting another shot on Monday. While I absolutely hate the exercise bike, I do find that it helps. I started riding it again last week and incorporating leg press weights. When I was in PT, I had several exercises that concentrated on strengthening the small muscles around the knee. I plan on starting those back as well. It is really aggravating losing so much weight yet still having this weight related issue. It is what it is. I am also trying to stretch more. I'll let you know if any of this works.
  • denjan333
    denjan333 Posts: 158 Member
    I have arthritis in my spine. I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease in my 30’s, and now at 50, I live in pain daily. It affects me with pain that radiates to my hips, my feet, and I even get headaches and tingling in my arms and face.

The only thing that’s helped so far is cortisone shots in my back. I try not to get them more than absolutely necessary. Otherwise I take over the counter acetaminophen with codeine.

Exercise is always a struggle. I want to do everything and usually it’s injury that forces me to acknowledge I really can’t do everything. Right now I’m working on walking and strength training. I can’t afford a membership at the pool. It’s insanely expensive.
  • kosseychick
    @conniewilkins56 I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis so I'm thankful it's not RA . The doctor gave me some finger/hand exercises to do to stay to strengthen my hands at least😊.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    That’s good that you don’t have RA...my husband suffers daily with it and spinal stenosis....the onset of RA was so sudden...he is only 65 now...more heart tests next week for him...keeping your hands warm and using them will help you...do you knit or crochet?....getting older is not for the weak!
  • kosseychick
    @conniewilkins56 i used to paint so I think I'm going to take that back up. I'm sorry to hear about your husband💜. And you are right getting old isnt for the weak. All those youngsters have no idea what they are in for..lol