What’s your favorite steak or part of beef?

TheDevastator
TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
I’m really liking ribeye and ny strip steaks but I enjoy round steak too as long as I can tear it up with my hands and teeth. I’ve had some super tough ones. I like ribs and chuck roast for the crockpot.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Ribeye is my absolute favorite, but I'll take anything I can find that looks good and fresh and properly cut...look for them to be cut across the grain of the muscle not with the grain of the muscle...some places do a terrible job with their butchering.
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,572 Member
    I'm a ribeye girl too. Being crockpot season again though, I've recently made potroast and beef stew.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Any parts with good marble of fats!
    NY Strip, Ribeye, Delmonico, Skirt steak is 👌👍
    I am not a fan of too lean, no fat parts. It doesn't have flavor when cooked.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I just add bacon fat or butter when the steak is not fatty enough...the non-fatty meats will dry out on the grill with just a little cooking, but nothing gets dry in a pan of butter or bacon fat...plus, I prefer any beef very rare, which helps keep it from getting too dry.

I don't often do beef in the crock pot because generally I end up with ham or pork roast for the crock pot...I'll have to check out the beef roasts more...if I can find them on sale cheaper than steak, that might be a good option.
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Any parts with good marble of fats!
    NY Strip, Ribeye, Delmonico, Skirt steak is 👌👍
    I am not a fan of too lean, no fat parts. It doesn't have flavor when cooked.

This exactly.

I'm a big fan of the brisket, too. Give me a whole packer brisket and I can smoke it to perfection.

• candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Flank steak!
  • TheDevastator
    I accidentally cut a steak with the grain. It’s in the freezer under several good steaks. It was my first sirloin roast. I learned really quickly that was the wrong way.

Marbled beef is the best whether steaks or roasts. I’m liking mostly grain fed because I don’t want to spend extra on grass fed. I do buy grass fed cheeses, butter, and cream.

I also cook steaks really rare. 30 seconds to a minute each side. Then I stand it on ends for 10 seconds or so especially on the fat so it sears it.

Smoking meats would be nice but difficult in an apartment.

I was going to buy some flank steak but I can get N.Y. Strip and ribeye for close to the same price.

Delmonico steaks were my favorite when I bought a variety pack of steaks long ago.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited October 2019
    Ribeye, Porterhouse, brisket, filet mignon.

I like to crock pot London broil or chuck roast in beef broth over night.

Or over night crock pot London broil or any large cut of cheap steak with 4 cans of Amy's Mushroom Bisque soup. (Sometimes I add in sliced onions to either dish).
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,377 Member
    Ribeye or prime rib for indulging. For more usual every eats, flat iron steak or top sirloin. I eat it rare so it's definitely not dry.
  • nrs101364
    nrs101364 Posts: 343 Member
    Boneless Ribeye cooked in butter in a cast iron pan until RARE!
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Ribeye, Porterhouse, brisket, filet mignon.

I like to crock pot London broil or chuck roast in beef broth over night.

Or over night crock pot London broil or any large cut of cheap steak with 4 cans of Amy's Mushroom Bisque soup. (Sometimes I add in sliced onions to either dish).

I'm with you on crock pot London broil and chuck roast. I also like to broil London broils on a broiler pan in the oven. A bit smokey in the kitchen but it's worth it. I generally mix up a marinade and soak them for a few hours to overnight first.

6mxu8s8x5goa.jpg

nrs101364 wrote: »
    Boneless Ribeye cooked in butter in a cast iron pan until RARE!

Bingo! I even go so far as to clarify my own butter.

I preheat my cast iron in the oven until it's ultra hot. Butter, garlic, thyme, rosemary, salt and a hint of pepper makes one fine ribeye.

• Emmapatterson1729
    edited October 2019
    Agree with all the "Rare" comments.

I prefer steak rare. Sometimes I'll take still semi-frozen thin cut strip steaks, throw in heated oil in skillet for a minute each side.. Perfectly rare, seared on outside, cold red rare center.

People often get grossed out by my burgers, because of how raw they are. Taste good to me!
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Filet mignon, hands down. Cannot afford it as often as I'd like to though. Then NY strip, ribeye, and the rest.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Filet mignon for sure. Then the rest and I do love crock pot roasts, yum. Agreeing too about eating my steaks rare.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Another rare lover here, just about any beef rare will do me just fine. I love sirloin as fajitas just leave them on the grill long enough to warm slightly, only way I will do sirloin now. I like the fatter steaks best.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    My problem with filet mignon, is finding it sold in stores not wrapped in bacon.

I don't eat pork, but love filet mignon. It's not sold in my grocery stores without bacon. I can't find it anywhere locally without it. And I don't like online/catalogue frozen meats.
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    That's too bad. I find it in almost all grocery stores around me. But it is quite expensive, about $35-40. On a vacation, I made the mistake and let my kids, 11 and 8, order filet mignon and now they will not accept any other steak :)
    My problem with filet mignon, is finding it sold in stores not wrapped in bacon.

I don't eat pork, but love filet mignon. It's not sold in my grocery stores without bacon. I can't find it anywhere locally without it. And I don't like online/catalogue frozen meats.

• Vowder
    Vowder Posts: 378 Member
    Strip Loin. Buy the whole side, leave in fridge for 3 weeks, then cut into steaks. Filet mignon and then rib eye. Nothing better.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I'm boring. I like a nice little sirloin, or a nice little fillet mignon. My least favorite is prime rib.
  • TheDevastator
    I've had filet mignon once I think but I'd rather put the money into more ribeyes and N.Y. strips.