Set back

Options
gewel321
gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
Had a little set back yesterday. I normally do a shake for breakfast and a shake for lunch then a small dinner. No snacks through the day. I am also doing Zumba twice a week and strength training 3 times a week.

My grandmother is in town visiting and we took her to lunch. So I ate half a philly cheesesteak sandwich. The half was small but it was still calories in. Then for dinner my husband wanted to go to Chili's. So I ordered the fajitas (steak and shrimp). I ate three tacos (2 shrimp and one steak). I felt super guilty once I got home. This was my first slip up. So I proceeded to then eat a piece of pie and skip the gym. I know I know. That was silly.

I woke up at 2:45am and had a long thought about it. I know that slip ups are going to happen. It took a long time to get this way and I won't be better overnight. Still sucks though. One day at a time!

Replies

• merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Life happens, "set backs" happen. As long as you don't let it derail you, I wouldn't look at it as any sort of failure. At most it'll delay you from reaching your goal for an extra day or two. Not much in the grand scheme of things!

If you take the experience and use it as motivation to improve in the future -- even better. :)
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Are you doing that plan under medical supervision? On its face it sounds pretty aggressive.
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    @gewel321 there are some really thoughtful insights from both @merph518 and @88olds and I am curious to read your response to each.

The only thing I want to add is that "Grandma days" are precious things. I say this because my grandmas are gone and I am (one of) the grandmas in our family.

I am learning to approach meals a little differently now that I am changing my lifestyle and I'd like to share a new twist I've incorporated when eating with my grandchildren (and, ok, my grown children, husband and others!).

Two weeks ago my son deployed and we all went to lunch after the farewell ceremony. As I gazed around the table I decided to take a potential emotional eating situation into a different realm. People I love are gathered around me. Being mindful of the sacrifice we, as a family, are making to our Country. In my mind that was the reason for this gathering, not the mouth-watering burger menu. Not the incredible variety of appetizers nor the 40-page drink menu.

So, here is my twist: I took a mental snapshot of the faces gathered around the table because that is what is meaningful to me. I then scanned the menu and selected a choice that satisfied my lunchtime calories and my palate.

I am learning this as my new normal because I plan to celebrate, enjoy, and be together with my people and with food (and with activity!). Somewhere over the years I flipped the focus to be only food and I am deliberately and thoughtfully taking that back.

Pam
  • michne16
    michne16 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up over it. We all slip and we all fall into the trap of "I may as well eat what I wanted because I've already screwed up today..." and then continue to eat off book. It's all about how you recover from it. Get back on track today doing your normal routine. Don't "punish" or "undereat" because of what happened yesterday. Today's a clean slate. Start over.
  • wannabeskinnycat
    wannabeskinnycat Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hey, take it for what it was. A lovely lunch with your grandmother than a dinner out with your husband. And taco's.
    It's not something you'll do each day, and might not even each week. Try and be a bit easier on yourself.

You have to find a way to live with your new way of eating either now whilst you're losing and/or for the rest of your maintenance life. Does that mean never going for lunch with your grandmother or having taco's with your husband? Eating out twice in the same day isn't usually a plan but it can still work with careful choices and consistency in the rest of your meals.

I've found the hard way that guilt definitely doesn't burn any extra calories x
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    It's not a set back or a slip up, it's a social event - they will happen from time to time so you just need to manage them.
    This week you might be at maintenance or just a smaller deficit than you planned.
    Enjoy the moment and get back on your plan and you'll be fine :)
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    thanks for your support. I'm back on track today! No way will one day throw me completely off course.

Yes I am 5 years post gastric sleeve so while my caloric intake isn't sufficient for most people I should be around 1000 calories a day. I by no means recommend someone to follow my diet without supervision. I was 400lbs before the surgery and have no intention of going back there. I have let myself slide and have stretched my stomach way out which them cause me to gain 75 lbs back. I am 100 lbs overweight now.