Resting heart rate increasing

Options
fknlardarse
fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
Hi I’m feeling a bit freaked out I don’t have a racing heart and I otherwise feel great on this WOE. But my resting heart rate on my Fitbit chart is climbing daily. My heart rate is also in fat burn zone the majority of the day even when I’m not exercising. The difference between my graphs from the beginning to now is scary.
I’ve been low carb for nearly 2 months. I’m now steadily losing weight, never hungry and can fast for 24 hours with hardly any hunger. So I guess I’m fat adapted now. Some days I eat at keto levels, other days I’m around 50g carbs. I’m not trying to be in Ketosis just lose weight without a crazy appetite.
I researched and I think my raised heart rate might be an indicator I need electrolytes?
My question is if that’s right? Because I otherwise feel great and it’s not “racing” and no palpitations. I wouldn’t have noticed anything if I didn’t have a Fitbit on.

Replies

• fknlardarse
    Options
    Just to add that my blood pressure is normal 104/72 it’s just my heart rate that is increasing. Normally my resting heart rate is 62. Within the last 2 weeks it has gone up to 72.
  • fknlardarse
    Options
    Bumping, is anyone able to help? My resting heart rate is now 75 even after adding a banana and brussels for some potassium. Maybe not enough?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I would make an appointment with my physician if I were experiencing/aware of unusual heart events.

I have no advice other than that. I'm not qualified to be dishing out medical advice.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I agree with seeing a doctor. You do need electrolytes on this diet or you can get issues. I take salt, potassium chloride, mineral drops, and magnesium pills. I eat dairy and sardines for calcium.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I started having this symptom earlier this year, but it's definitely perimenopause/hot flash related and not related to my food...I've been keto for over 2 years, and was LCHF for many years prior to that.

Do go to the doctor and get it checked out - generally anything below 90 is considered "normal" but RHR is usually stable for an individual, so a change is worth investigating.

The doctor will likely hook you up to a bunch of machines and determine if it's dangerous or just normal. Mine also did heart rate measurements laying, sitting, standing, laying, etc just monitoring it while changing positions (fyi, big heart rate increases when changing position indicate dehydration...decreases indicate orthostatic hypotention...I'm sure there are other things they can tell, but those two I know because I asked what they were looking for and they explained it)

Also, the doctor will likely book a follow up to start monitoring since it's increasing, or have you continue to monitor at home and ask you to book an appointment if it gets to a certain level...and that's good, because heart issues are serious and should be handled attentively.

Number one cause is dehydration - and keep in mind I have been diagnosed as "mildly dehydrated" even after consuming 96 oz of water by mid-day...I was thirsty, not deliberately drinking extra or forcing water consumption, just super thirsty because I was dehydrated and not retaining the water I consumed.

In the meantime, maybe have a gatorade zero or G2 or some other electrolyte drink. All the water in the world won't help you if your body can't retain it due to lack of electrolytes.

Weight loss (regardless of method) can cause increased RHR - this is because weight loss is stressful for your body even if you are losing at a healthy rate.

Hormones/stress/overtraining - there are many common causes of the increase that are not dangerous.

Increasing RHR statistically correlates with an increased risk of death, so it is a good idea to go to the doctor, it might be minor, it might be something serious, either way it's best to know the root cause. This is sometimes how people find out they have rare heart issues and get them treated.