Resistant Starch

Options
gwendyprism
gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
Has anyone done any experimenting with using resistant potato starch? Ive seen a lot of benefits touted on youtube for gut health, insulin resistance and even increasing ketones. Dr Mark Hyman is the main medical proponent I've seen.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm not finding any research that does a keto style dietary intake combined with the resistant starch - the ones I'm finding are all very deliberately carby in addition to the starch.

Do you have any specific studies you can share by any chance? I'm curious, but I don't think I want to assume that RS will behave the same in a no-carb digestion model as it does in a high-carb digestion model.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I honestly think it’s a bunch of hype.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    The GAPS diet says to avoid all starches and that’s all about improving gut health. Kefir is great for feeling good and is said to improve gut health.
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Tried it - did nothing for me.
  • gwendyprism
    Options
    I've been using it several times a week and haven't noticed much but not sure how I'd know if it was helping my gut. I did test it and it didn't cause my blood glucose to go up or lower my ketones. Resistant Starch carbs are not supposed to be digestible but supposedly feed your gut bacteria.
  • gwendyprism
    Options
    I'm not finding any research that does a keto style dietary intake combined with the resistant starch - the ones I'm finding are all very deliberately carby in addition to the starch.

Do you have any specific studies you can share by any chance? I'm curious, but I don't think I want to assume that RS will behave the same in a no-carb digestion model as it does in a high-carb digestion model.

I found this list of research studies

https://resistantstarchresearch.com/clinical-research-summary/resistant-starch-clinical-list/
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Resistant starch is a lot of poop. Literally. To measure anything meaningful for gut health, you would need to provide stool samples and have it examined in a lab.