Running while on Keto (?) + Update

Everyonelies
Everyonelies Posts: 225 Member
Hello everyone!

I feel like I have been gone forever and a day! September 24th would have been my 1st keto-versary! I have dropped a total of 50 lbs but since August 16th, I have been up and down 5lbs, especially since I have not stayed Keto compliant for most of the last 2 months.

July 4th I joined a running group, and even though I am a newbie at running, I did not realize how much hungrier I would feel! I did stick to my calories and macros until August but the hunger is still there.

I went full keto today, not expecting any major changes, just don't want to feel the bloat. Weight wise I would like to drop another 20lbs (it's a scale/number thing), but size wise I feel ok, so if I don't lose them, I would be ok, just don't want to gain anything back.

As I mentioned, I got into running, and I know (or think I know) carbs are needed. what are suggestions regarding running/keto/carbs? Those of you who run, do you take in more carbs depending on your runs, or do you find it easy to run on less than 20g net carbs a day?

I am in Chicago, and the weather is starting to get colder, so outdoor runs will probably start to taper down...but any advice is appreciated!

Replies

• AzarielMoon
    AzarielMoon Posts: 36 Member
    Hi. I'm very new to keto, or dieting of any kind. I had someone share this TED talk video on a discussion I'm in, and it might help explain a little about the roll of fat vs carbs as far as glucose and insulin is effected. I don't remember it saying anything about carbs being required for exercising, but I thought it might be a good watch.

Good luck with your goals :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Train keto/glycogen depleted, then you can use goo/Vespa/carb gel on race day. I don't run (not my thing), but following Phinney & Volek studies and other marathon runners who low carb, it's possible. Each person is different, so you may or may not perform as well.
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 351 Member
    Maria Emmerich is an avid runner and keto eater. She might have some insight into the topic running while keto. You can search topics on her website
    Mariamindbodyhealth.com
    If I find a link for you I will attach it 😁 I havnt looked into the topic much as I’m a wanna a be runner that barely even walks. Lol
  • wsandford
    wsandford Posts: 7 Member
    Hello everyone!

I feel like I have been gone forever and a day! September 24th would have been my 1st keto-versary! I have dropped a total of 50 lbs but since August 16th, I have been up and down 5lbs, especially since I have not stayed Keto compliant for most of the last 2 months.

July 4th I joined a running group, and even though I am a newbie at running, I did not realize how much hungrier I would feel! I did stick to my calories and macros until August but the hunger is still there.

I went full keto today, not expecting any major changes, just don't want to feel the bloat. Weight wise I would like to drop another 20lbs (it's a scale/number thing), but size wise I feel ok, so if I don't lose them, I would be ok, just don't want to gain anything back.

As I mentioned, I got into running, and I know (or think I know) carbs are needed. what are suggestions regarding running/keto/carbs? Those of you who run, do you take in more carbs depending on your runs, or do you find it easy to run on less than 20g net carbs a day?

I am in Chicago, and the weather is starting to get colder, so outdoor runs will probably start to taper down...but any advice is appreciated!

Congrats on your weight loss!

I just started Keto and I am already very happy with the results I'm seeing.

Treadmills are the winter months go to with running. If still on Keto, look into HIIT sessions. You'll only be on the treadmill for ten+ minutes, but I can assure you you'll be ready to get off of it.

I'm in North Carolina and I run as long as it doesn't snow.

Here's the HIIT workout I do:
    You must wear a heart rate monitor strap and use the treadmill HR meter to monitor your heart rate. You don't want to look at a watch or look around on the 2-minute running part.

Set the incline to 3 and simply walk for 5 minutes.

At the five minute mark run as fast as you can for 2-minutes aiming for your max HR for your age.

At the 2-minute mark, STOP by placing your feet on the sides of the treadmill. Drink water and breath.

Repeat 3x, more if you are up to it.

During the 2-minute running you need to run as fast as you can on the balls of your feet, NO heel striking.

All the best!

• chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    I've been eating low carb & also running. The lack of carbs doesn't seem to affect my running. However, I do take supplements to keep my electrolytes sufficient.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I run on keto carnivore.

Here are my suggestions:
    1. Read The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance by Phinney and Volek - this is for keto adapted athletes.
    2. Train as a keto athlete.
    3. Decide if you want to add strategic carbs for races and be very precise and intentional about exactly when you consume those carbs, how much, and what form it is in. This is the strategy that elite keto athletes use, such as Zack Bitter.