Favourite food you've discovered recently

Replies

• maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    @maiomaio71 I'm actually making butternut squash soup today with some cayenne pepper seasoning and crumbled bacon to jazz it up. Looking forward to it😃

Yum! Our pumpkins are getting expensive now it's spring. 😭 Pumpkin and bacon is the best combo!
  • kosseychick
    kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
    I think bacon makes most food taste better.😄
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Yep, even vegetarians like bacon lol
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,454 Member
    Avacado. Well, I didn’t just now find it. But I found how to use it and like it.

One thing I’ve done is make mayo substitute. Avacado, lemon juice, olive oil. Season it with whatever’s handy.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Peanut butter and chocolate cheerios.

Made a batch of rice krispie treats and replaced half the rice cereal with the cheerios. Used to make the RK treats with peanut butter and chocolate morsels but that was a lot more expensive on calories.

These came out to 110 per serving which is not too bad.
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    88olds wrote: »
    Avacado. Well, I didn’t just now find it. But I found how to use it and like it.

One thing I’ve done is make mayo substitute. Avacado, lemon juice, olive oil. Season it with whatever’s handy.

How do you keep it from turning brown?
  • conniewilkins56
    I want to like avocado so badly because it is so good for you but I just can’t....something about the texture I can’t eat it....I have tried it every way....same with salmon....I love seafood but I do not like salmon....
  • kosseychick
    kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
    @conniewilkins56 I'm with you on the avocado... I cant get over that slimy texture
  • conniewilkins56
    Lol...avocado texture is like a raw oyster and I won’t eat those either!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,454 Member
    Avocado will turn brown if it’s around more than a couple of days. I think the lemon juice slows the process.

We buy the small avocados. My wife eats some. It’s just not around long. If it starts turning brown I scrape that part off. Try on a sandwich.

Avocado is near the top of the anti inflammatory food list. I was determined to try it. No one is more surprised than I am that I like it.
  • conniewilkins56
    I tried over night oats for the first time this morning.....I usually don’t eat much breakfast but they were filling so I might skip lunch...does anyone have recipe ideas for them?....someone mentioned a chocolate chip mix in....please share!
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    I make overnight oats with chocolate chips
    60g oats
    120g yogurt
    50g milk
    20g chocolate chips
    20g blueberries
    About 400 calories depending on specific ingredients. I use dark chocolate, my wife like milk chocolate chips.
  • maiomaio71
    If you leave the stone in the avocado you don't eat it helps slow down the browning too.
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    My overnight oat recipe is pretty basic:

0.5 cup old fashioned oats
    0.5 cup milk
    1 tbsp flax seed
    1 tbsp chia seeds
    1 tbsp peanut butter
    a dash of cinnamon and tumeric

I also cheat a little and throw it in the microwave in the morning to heat it a little. Sometimes if I don't throw in peanut butter I'll add chopped almonds, blueberries, or raisins.
  • conniewilkins56
    If you like yogurt, the Chobani Flips are delicious!...the flavors are amazing and a huge variety....coconut snowball, key lime crumble, strawberry cheesecake and peanut butter cup!...I think there are 20 different flavors!
  • maiomaio71
    My overnight oats recipe uses apple juice instead of milk, otherwise it's the same as @papayahed 's...minus the peanut butter. I also grate some apple into it just before eating, and add some plain yoghurt too. I probably have a higher proportion of oats as well. My son loves raisins in his.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Chia Seeds, I add in pudding, add in the Chaffles egg and cheese made in mini waffle maker. Two Good Yogurt, a number of different flavors, like to chop up nuts, and sprinkle spices over.
    Mint leaves in water.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    I came across a crock pot steel cut oats recipe a while back that is very good.

And I figured out last week how to make a single serving no bake cookie in the microwave, though I'm still fiddling with the oatmeal. All i have is whole oats, and for no bakes, you really need the quick ones, but I hate to buy a box just for cookies lol I've tried processing the whole oats in a blender to cut them down, but may just have to bite the bullet and get a box of quick oats.

The thing I've recently found that I'm surprised I like is Quaker Instant Butter Grits. and only 150 calories for a bowl! Wish I could find a plain cream of wheat instant bowl like that - I eat breakfast at work, so things I can easily make in a microwave are a given, but where I live, the only instant cream of wheat I can find are sweetened.

Anywho - I'm thinking of buying a container of grits and seeing if I like the non-instant kind as well.

Oh, and this week, I heard of and tried making chaffles - egg, cheese, and the recipe I used called for 1/4 tsp baking powder, mixed well and poured into a waffle maker for 5-7 minutes. I was surprised at how good they were! I put bacon in mine and ate them plain, but I am wondering how to make em with sour cream instead of cheese and with cinnamon and syrup.....
  • maiomaio71
    What are grits?
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    This is from healthline.com:

What are grits?

Grits are a popular Southern American dish made from crushed or ground corn.

They’re most commonly served as a breakfast or side dish and usually made from a variety of corn called dent corn, which has a softer, starchy kernel (1).

The crushed corn granules are typically cooked in either hot water, milk, or broth until they reach a thick yet creamy consistency that is similar to porridge.

Grits are often paired with flavorful ingredients, such as butter, sugar, syrups, cheeses, and meats like bacon, shrimp, and catfish.

You can purchase several varieties of grits, including:

Stone-ground
    . These are made from whole, dried corn kernels that are coarsely ground in a mill. This type is harder to find in grocery stores because it has a short shelf life and takes 30–60 minutes to cook on the stove.
    Hominy. These are made from corn kernels soaked in an alkali solution to soften the tough pericarp (outer shell or hull). The pericarp is rinsed, then removed, and the corn kernels undergo further processing to make hominy.
    Quick and regular. These types undergo processing, which involves removing the pericarp and germ (nutrient-rich embryo), so they have a longer shelf life. Regular versions are medium ground while quick are finely ground (2).
    Instant. This precooked, dehydrated version has had both the pericarp and germ removed. They’re widely available in grocery stores.

Instant is the kind I've been eating, but I think I'm going to try the quick and regular and see how that tastes.

w40indc7b77n.png