214g carbs?!

Options
Writer92
Writer92 Posts: 3 Member
Two questions:

At my Dr's appt 3 days ago (set up because I wasn't losing weight despite my efforts), my A1C for the first time was 6.5, but I have not been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes yet. My doctor wants to test again in 3 months before doing so. I am predisposed to have it because both of my had diabetes and they are both unhealthy. The rest of chart is in range besides the A1C. I have also had gestational, which makes you more likely. So I'm pretty much just genetically cursed. My 1st question is: Have any of you caught it at 6.5 before and weren't diagnose right away? Giving you a God -given opportunity to turn it around?

2nd question (the one I'm really worried about)
I was set up with a nutritionist to help lower my A1C. I have previously been on keto and low calorie diets in the past 3 years. And here I am knocking on diabetic's door. My nutritionist pretty much despises keto or extremely low carb. She has set my macros with a cap of 214g carbs/day?! 45 at breakfast and 60-75 at lunch and dinner. She wants me to pair each carb I have with appropriate amounts protein and fiber to keep my blood sugars steady. And of course, only have whole wheat, whole grain, starchy vegetables, brown rice, etc. No simple carbs. I haven't been able to get past 100 carbs for the day yet. It has scared the living crap out of me to eat carbs at all and she wants me to eat that many a day. I want to trust her. Because she's said she's had great success with other people in my predicament with lowering their A1C significantly. My 2nd question is: is anyone here proof that they've lowered their A1C even while eating moderate carbs?

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    For me, my BG numbers are really a function of carb intake. Get a meter and track it. Either it is that way for you or it isn't.

At diagnosis, I had an A1C of 12.8. I went on metformin and the Diabetes Association diet which did nothing. I went low carb, and the numbers came down. I had metformin reduced and then stopped. My A1C has been in the 5.4-5.6 range since January of last year with no meds. I did lose some weight I needed to lose in the whole process, but the low carb was the thing that did it for me and my metabolism/whatever. I maintain the BG numbers with the diet. I am consistently under 20 net carbs a day, but I have never checked ketones.

My doctor offered to refer me to a nutritionist initially when I was diagnosed, and I asked him if he thought it would help. He replied, "I don't think it ever has."

• amagus
    amagus Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Please go to https://www.bloodsugar101.com/. It clearly explains the relationship between carbs and Blood Sugar. (214 sounds high to me, but I am not a doctor.) There is a book as well, called 'Blood Sugar 101' by Jenny Ruhl, which I have found very helpful. The website has a carb calculator to help you determine what you can/should be eating in terms of carb/fats/protiens to prevent complications and to lose weight.

The website has links to all the research, so you can use you own common sense on what to believe or not believe. The proof to me is the fact that since 1999, I have zero complications for diabetes while friends and family who have followed ADA and Dr. recommendations and were diagnosis years later have nephropathy, nephropathy and heart disease.

Don't panic, and be assured that you can do this and you can do this without dangerous drugs and diets.
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    amagus wrote: »
    Please go to https://www.bloodsugar101.com/. It clearly explains the relationship between carbs and Blood Sugar. (214 sounds high to me, but I am not a doctor.) There is a book as well, called 'Blood Sugar 101' by Jenny Ruhl, which I have found very helpful. The website has a carb calculator to help you determine what you can/should be eating in terms of carb/fats/protiens to prevent complications and to lose weight.

The website has links to all the research, so you can use you own common sense on what to believe or not believe. The proof to me is the fact that since 1999, I have zero complications for diabetes while friends and family who have followed ADA and Dr. recommendations and were diagnosis years later have nephropathy, nephropathy and heart disease.

Don't panic, and be assured that you can do this and you can do this without dangerous drugs and diets.
    The more education you get, the better you will be. When I was first diagnosed, my endocrinologist sent me to the diabetes education classes, as well as the dietician attached to his clinic(in hospital). For my weight and situation I was told to have 45g carbs per meal, 15g per snack. It has worked very well for me. I also suffer with chronic pancreatitis, so I have to keep a low fat diet as well.
    I haven`t read the book amagus suggests, but it does sound like a sensible place to start.
    Full disclosure here, I am soooooo anti-KETO for anyone, especially diabetics. My opinion, make of it what you will.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    An interesting footnote, more Dr's are starting to rely on the A1C to diagnose diabetes. And I am not saying this is bad. But what is not all rosy with this approach is that typically they are done 90 days apart. There is a test that can be done at the 6 week level called Fructosamine. Also the one hour glucose fasting test still is very good to diagnose.

I have been a diabetic for 20 years. Back when I was diagnosed pretty much what they suggested for you is what I was suggested to do. Which I admit I did not follow well.
    Now what I follow is a low carb, not keto. But low carb, I have stepped away from the whole white sugar, white flour, pasta rice world and really do not miss it much. And now have reasonable blood sugars most of the time.

6.5 is not really considered pre-diabetic, it is on the low end of being a diabetic. Not meaning to panic you. However now is the time for you to make changes. I agree get a glucose tester, you can buy one withot a prescription. And test strips can be bought via ebay as well, much more reasonable cost. As you would not have a prescription for them. Educate yourself.
    Moderate carb intake of up to 150 per day might be worth considering as well. So would not be low carb. But would be alot less than typical of over 250*275 carbs per day which is closer to the average. Good Luck.