Monthly group challenges

Options
al4374
al4374 Posts: 44 Member
What ever happened to the monthly challenges in this group? Why’d they stop?

Replies

• amckholmes
    amckholmes Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    What type of challenges? Maybe we just need someone to start one?
  • al4374
    Options
    Various food or exercise related challenges. I think @FIT_Goat used to run them...?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    al4374 wrote: »
    Various food or exercise related challenges. I think @FIT_Goat used to run them...?
    Actually, it was me. :smile:
    Lack of participation was why I stopped. It took effort and time for me to put them together. And it got to the point that few people would start and even fewer were still around and contributing by the end of Week 2. So I would be in there basically talking to myself most of the month, with the exception of a few others sometimes. And by a few, I literally mean me and 2 other people.

So I've left it to the members to start/make challenge threads of their own. I'm glad to pin a link to them in the stickies if they start one.

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm in for a NoJunk November...or something...
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I did run two challenges. I ran the "Ad-Lib April" and the "Meativore May" challenges. It has been a while, because my life has been crazy busy. I would be willing to run one (or both) of those again. "Don't Count December" could be fun. "Just Meat January" maybe?

LOL
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    I think not counting in December is a terrible idea for me just because there is so much food around that is super tasty and I have no willpower without metrics.

But I would be on board for reversing those with a Carnivore Christmas and Just Listen January???

I feel like January's name could be better...
  • baconslave
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »
    Lack of participation was why I stopped. It took effort and time for me to put them together. And it got to the point that few people would start and even fewer were still around and contributing by the end of Week 2. So I would be in there basically talking to myself most of the month, with the exception of a few others sometimes. And by a few, I literally mean me and 2 other people.

So I've left it to the members to start/make challenge threads of their own. I'm glad to pin a link to them in the stickies if they start one.

I appreciated them. :) But I went and got myself knocked up, so I'm carbing up a bit.

This thread made me think of you. Missing you, lady! How's things, former challenge-buddy?
    Other than being busy baking a kiddo?
  • baconslave
    Options
    I think not counting in December is a terrible idea for me just because there is so much food around that is super tasty and I have no willpower without metrics.

But I would be on board for reversing those with a Carnivore Christmas and Just Listen January???
    I feel like January's name could be better...

We've done a Jump In January before.

I'm always just Doin' The Thing. I'm almost done with the class I'm teaching. It's a high school health class for a homeschool co-op. Teaching a class the first time has soooooo much work the first time you teach it, argh!!!, but the semester is over Dec 5th. I might be up for my Determined December challenge. Just being Determined to reach whatever goal you are setting for yourself, whether it be keeping it reasonable despite the holiday madness or keeping on a particular plan or whatever.

I'm willing to do it if I won't just be talking to myself. :wink:
  • al4374
    Options
    Determined December sounds good. Need some time to ‘determine’ my goal first :smile:
    I had a baby last May and I’m still breastfeeding. Haven’t found the sweet spot in terms of carb level yet...
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, new to the group. I would be on board for a Determined December challenege. I’ve not done a challenege yet, what does it entail?
  • baconslave
    Options
    Hi guys, new to the group. I would be on board for a Determined December challenege. I’ve not done a challenege yet, what does it entail?

Basically you post in the thread to join and state your goals. Your goal will depend on your WOE, how much you want to lose, or if you don't need to lose weight but you need to keep up with exercise or be more consistent in staying away from certain carbs...that sort of thing. Then you check in as many times that week as you need to stay accountable. We encourage one another and chat and list NSVs.

I'll post a thread. I'll have a sticky in at the top of the group you can click to find the link to the thread if it gets knocked off the front page.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »

I appreciated them. :) But I went and got myself knocked up, so I'm carbing up a bit.

This thread made me think of you. Missing you, lady! How's things, former challenge-buddy?
    Other than being busy baking a kiddo?

Things are going well! Family is happy and healthy. Work is OK. This baby was a huuuuge surprise (our youngest turns 8 Saturday and we were done...me more than him).

How are you? Another homeschooling year?
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Basically you post in the thread to join and state your goals. Your goal will depend on your WOE, how much you want to lose, or if you don't need to lose weight but you need to keep up with exercise or be more consistent in staying away from certain carbs...that sort of thing. Then you check in as many times that week as you need to stay accountable. We encourage one another and chat and list NSVs.

I'll post a thread. I'll have a sticky in at the top of the group you can click to find the link to the thread if it gets knocked off the front page.
    Sounds great. I’ll be going December’s challenege for sure. What are nsv’s? I figure it’s short for something but my mind just can’t come up with those words. Lol
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Non
    Scale
    Victory
  • al4374
    Options
    Thought about it this evening...I think I’d like a Data December where I re-commit to logging all my food every day and possibly weigh in every day too. Maybe find some interesting patterns...
    That’ll fit under Determined December too obv, just thought I’d share in case anyone is looking for ideas
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    I like the idea of Determined December, then everyone can pick goals that fit with whatever they have planned...it's a holiday month for most people, so having a goal is a great idea if you want to stay on track through the month!!!
  • ploomka
    ploomka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I like Determined December! Some of my goals are not really very data measurable, and I can obsess over data, so I want to incorporate more healthy habits that don't necessarily rely on measurable data.

Determined December goals (rough draft):

1) I am determined to find delicious creative ways to add more veggies to every meal (add veggie scraps to my smoothies? pureed veggies in my spaghetti (squash) sauce?).

2) I am determined to get more steps in (data measurable. thinking of getting a fitbit or something similar).

3) I am determined to find more creative ways to achieve better hydration (more soups? fun mocktails? homemade iced tea?).
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Count me in

Make sure to keep exercising at least 40 minutes every day in December
    Two new recipes every week
    Lose 3 pounds during the month of December. Which for me ties right to keeping my carbs under 50, and my fat reasonable. And maybe more exercise.

Even with Keto desserts no more than 2 servings of anything on weekends and or 300 calories.