Fitness trackers/smart watch?

jjlewey
jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
I have had a fit bit for a couple of years now. First I had an alta hr and for the last year and a half or so a versa. My versa is starting to not hold its charge, so probably will need to be replaced soon. I was wondering what others have and use. I have done some research on the Samsung and Garmin trackers but do not know anyone that has one. Everyone I know with a tracker has a fitbit. The apple watch is a no go for me because I dont have an iPhone. What are your recommendations and why please and thank you.

Replies

• papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    I have a Samsung watch active and I really like it. It keeps track of steps, a bunch of different exercises like swimming, running, rowing, etc.

It syncs with S health on my samsung phone where I can also keep track of blood sugar and blood pressure.

And it syncs with MFP
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    I also have a versa right now. and i've decided when it dies I want the garmin vivo active series. I like the look of the watch. I like that it's waterproof for swimming but still does most of the things that I use my fitbit for. I think overall it would just be more compatible with my lifestyle and activities and would like to try something taht's hopefully a bit more sturdy than the fitbits that I've had have been.

it stores up to 14 days of activity tracking in case you don't sync daily. has bluetooth. and gps tracking along with a compass which will help when i'm hiking...
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    Oh my goodness, I'm sounding like my grandparents here, but bear with me!

It bothers me to lay down good money (can't you just hear your grandpa?!?!?) and have a piece of electronics not perform or, worse, break.

My solution is to be about two generations behind "the latest" and I've been very pleased that 1) most of the software bugs are resolved and 2) it is VERY inexpensive.

Three or four years ago I started with the original Fitbit and loved it for a good long time (2.5 years?). I wanted a device that I could swim with so now I have the FitBit2 which I am still getting used to - navigating the screens provides me a challenge that I am not always up for and end up manually logging my exercise in the app. My husband now uses the original Fitbit (with a cracked screen) and he seems to enjoy it, however he has not been successful in downloading the app to his iPhone (this may be a user issue, just sayin').

Finally, for work reasons, I use a Virgin Pulse olde-timey pedometer and I like that it not only syncs with my FitBit2 but also with MFP.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I had one of the first fit bits and I had it connected to my desktop computer...loved it but the band broke and it was before you could have multiple bands...I super glued it for awhile but it finally broke for good....I only have a cell phone minimal usage one, I do everything on my I pad...I would like a fitness tracker I can swim in....can you synch them with an I pad?....I don’t know what kind to get....I only need it for swimming and steps....I could still have it connected to the desk top I guess....
  • jjlewey
    I am leaning towards a samsung watch
  • jjlewey
    I had one of the first fit bits and I had it connected to my desktop computer...loved it but the band broke and it was before you could have multiple bands...I super glued it for awhile but it finally broke for good....I only have a cell phone minimal usage one, I do everything on my I pad...I would like a fitness tracker I can swim in....can you synch them with an I pad?....I don’t know what kind to get....I only need it for swimming and steps....I could still have it connected to the desk top I guess....

I think almost all of them would sync with your iPad. You would have to look up specific models but most likely they would.
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    edited November 2019
    I bought the new Samsung Watch Active 2 that came out about a month or two ago. I really like it -- except once in a while it stops tracking gps/steps/etc during a workout session. I'm hoping that glitch will be fixed in software updates, but until it is I'm kind of hesitant to recommend it.

If not for that, though, it'd be phenomenal. The screen is great, the processor is snappy, and the battery life is miles better than the old Mobvoi Ticwatch S2 WearOS watch I had used previously (since February). The glitch has happened maybe 2-3 times since I bought the watch. Happened yesterday and I lost 2300ish steps off my count as it assumed I flew for part of my walk.

More on battery life:
    Charged it overnight last night and it came off the charger at 6am. Actively tracked 90 minutes of walking and 40 minutes of running, received my daily 50ish notifications and it's down to 66% at the end of the day (11:45pm right now). My old watch would be down to maybe 20% by this point. Note: I don't keep the screen in always-on mode.
  • jjlewey
    @merph518 I have read reviews and watched youtube videos on that watch in particular. No one else has mentioned the issue that you just did, that I have seen. I like it alot from what I have seen.
    I loved the battery life from my fitbit versa until recently. I dont know what happened to it the last 3 or 4 days. It used to last 3 or 4 days on a full charge now it is about 8 hours, and seems to be getting worse. I fear it will die soon.
    The chief complaint I have heard with Fitbit's is that they dont hold up over time, and I can attest to that. While over a year is a good amount of time I did pay over 200 bucks for my versa when it came out.
    I am apprehensive about whether I will like different software interactions. I am accustomed and do really like the fitbit app.
    I also dont really like to spend money lol.
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    I have a xiaomi band. It cost about $40NZ. Battery lasts a good 4 weeks before needing to be recharged. It's waterproof (I wear it in the shower but haven't swum with it), and scratch proof. It doesn't have a GPS but I've found its step tracking is really accurate. It's heart rate monitor gave me exactly the same results as the apple watch when I compared them. I love it but I only wear it for the time, steps and activity tracking. I like seeing my VO2 levels when I've played squash or tennis, and the time spent in aerobic or anaerobic exercise. The sleep tracking is good but it doesn't always pick up when I'm awake in the middle of the night. It doesn't sync with MFP or MND which is my food tracking app. No bugs that I'm aware of. I'd highly recommend it for cost (cheap as chips) and it's battery life!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    I started with a Vivoactive HR, I did a lot of research before buying. My priorities for buying at the time were built-in GPS (i.e. not relying on sync to phone) and waterproofing. This was the only reasonably priced option at the time that delivered both.

I did have some issues with the waterproofing but this was dealt with very well with Garmin and it was replaced without any problem. Just before I upgraded to my current watch there was an issue with a software update and again it was replaced (out of warranty) free of charge.

When upgrading earlier this year, I did consider moving to Fitbit, but Fitbit do not have the capabilities for rowing (on water) that Garmin do, so I have stuck with them and got a Vivoactive 3 Music. I have been very pleased with it.

The fact that when things do go wrong Garmin sort out things quickly and without issue is a big plus for me, I have heard some horror stories about Fitbit's customer service so it's deterred me from switching.

DC Rainmaker's blog is a good one to look at when considering a new device, he does very thorough reviews of most brands. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/

• merph518
    Considering Google is about to buy Fitbit, you'll likely have to leave the familiarity of Fitbit OS at some point anyway, if that helps your decision.
  • katy9599
    katy9599 Posts: 874 Member
    I appreciate the replies here because I’ve been thinking about asking for some kind of fitness watch for Christmas, but I don’t even know where to start. My daughter had two of the very basic fit bits a few years ago. Each lasted about a year then stopped holding a charge. A couple friends love their Apple watches, but those are more expensive and have more features than I probably need.

I don’t think I’ll care about sleep tracking (I’m weird and probably couldn’t sleep with it on anyway). I do want it to count flights of stairs! I work in an old split-level house converted to offices so I climb a lot of stairs.

I’m not necessarily a “data” person. I don’t keep spreadsheets or need to track heart rate or calorie burn precisely. I’m more just curious in my overall numbers, and I think there would be some motivation to get off the couch to hit my step goal.
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    @katy9599 You might look into a step pedometer, such as the Virgin Pulse model that sells for ~$40 USD. It uploads to MFP, tracks steps and flights of stairs and gives the time. Nothing more. Straightforward and reasonably priced using a standard CR2016 battery (flat, round, nickel-sized, available in Walmart by the "other" batteries for hearing aids, pace makers, etc.). It is less than 2" in diameter and probably 1/2" in thickness.

It can be worn as a clip to a belt / waist band or worn from the six-inch tether (as I do, from my lanyard). Here's a picture:

x9pgfbfyyu1l.jpg
  • katy9599
    katy9599 Posts: 874 Member
    @hansep0012 Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll look into that type of device. I definitely like the price point!
  • jjlewey
    edited November 2019
    So fitbit has great customer support! At a friend's suggestion I decided to call fitbit and make a claim. I bought my fitbit in April of 2018, it was definitely out of warranty. Initially they offered me condolences and a 25% coupon off any new device. I, in my nicest voice, replied that I was thinking of buying a samsung watch because I heard they were more durable. The agent asked me to hold for a second, came back and said he just got authorized to give me a free replacement. They are sending me a new versa free of charge!
    Now the moral dilemma, I still kinda want the samsung active 2 watch.
  • ConfidentRaven
    ConfidentRaven Posts: 1,428 Member
    I was reading that the Aplle series 3 may be going down to 129 for black Friday. I would be willing to bet it's not the only device that we'll see have a sale. Just thought I'd toss it out there.
  • jjlewey
    I heard the samsung active 2 is going to be 50 dollars off at costco for black friday. I have not seen any other deals though
  • merph518
    edited November 2019
    From my research, Apple Watch seems to be the best for fitness tracking. It's just not an option for me because I don't have an iPhone and Apple is stupid for not supporting Android syncing with it.
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    I have an apple watch series 3. I love love love it. But not so much for fitness tracking. I don't like the pre programed exercises that they have for options. I do like some aspects like reminding me to get up every hour but for tracking my Zumba its not super awesome.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    jjlewey wrote: »
    So fitbit has great customer support! At a friend's suggestion I decided to call fitbit and make a claim. I bought my fitbit in April of 2018, it was definitely out of warranty. Initially they offered me condolences and a 25% coupon off any new device. I, in my nicest voice, replied that I was thinking of buying a samsung watch because I heard they were more durable. The agent asked me to hold for a second, came back and said he just got authorized to give me a free replacement. They are sending me a new versa free of charge!
    jjlewey wrote: »

I have a great idea....send the extra one to me! LoL