Disappointing A1C results, any words of wisdom?

Options
snha
snha Posts: 388 Member
I managed to bring my A1c down from 8.4 in May to 6.7 (avg 146) in August. Yesterday it came out at 6.7, the same as last time. My doctor of course thinks that's excellent because my improvement was sustained. But I don't like it. I was disappointed and surprised. My daily BG readings have been consistently lower (at about 110--sometimes lower and other times higher, but rarely at 140). I expected the low 6s or even a 5.8 or so. But, nope :(

Initially I reduced my weight from 217 to 204. Now I reduced again from 204 to 190. I have been eating very little carbs, not more than 50, sometimes much less. I have been exercising a few times a week, 3-5, with one-hour each time.

Any explanation? do I need to just accept this?

Replies

• Paulcsb
    Paulcsb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on getting your A1C and your weight down significantly. Don't overlook the gains you have managed to get. I've found that sometimes we hit plateaus and stay there for a while, but the way I think about it, I'm better off with the healthy lifestyle even if tests don't show it. The alternative is to give up and go back to unhealthy eating and activity, and the only effect that will have is bad. Hang in there. Perhaps the plateau will be over the next time. You have done great!
  • snha
    Options
    Thank you Paul, you're quite on point there. I was just thinking along the same lines, that I am all better because of the healthy lifestyle, my ability to focus and do creative work is amazing again, after years of fogginess.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    This is a huge achievement. There is the weight loss and sustaining the lower A1C. I think you are doing the right things. Do you see any patterns in the BG numbers? Are there some foods that seem to have more of an impact on you? That might be something to glare at.
  • nrs101364
    nrs101364 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Agree. You should be proud of yourself for the weight loss, the continued exercise and the lower A1C. Keep with it, if the next round of tests do not show improvement ask your doctor if there is something else you can do. As 2t9nyt said, examine your foods and see if there is something there. Great job!
  • snha
    Options
    Thank you. I will check my food again, but I have been very strict about carbs, between 30 and 50 grams of net carbs a day! most of my other food is prepared at home, meat, cheese, nuts, and some vegetables (with limits for the carb intake). But I think it's a matter of keeping at it. In any case, I am benefiting greatly in terms of focus and energy. So, no regrets.
  • amagus
    amagus Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    First, be very proud of your achievements. Second, you can achieve under 5% A1c values, so do not give up.

Third, there is a book and website which explains how to balance carbs/fat/protein for diabetics. It is called www.bloodsugar101.com. One thing that I was not understanding before reading this book was that net carbs have no effect on blood sugar, and that low glycemic carbs still raise your blood sugar (they just do it well after the normal testing period). This could easily be why your testing numbers are low after meals, but why you A1c is higher than expected.

The website has a calculator which helps you determine how much protein and fat to eat based on the number of carbs you are eating. The calculator has both weight loss and non-weight loss settings. The balance is crucial. If you are not getting enough protein, then your liver counters with blood glucose to power your muscles.

I am not a doctor, nurse or dietitian, but find it is easy to walk through the details and when I was concerned with some of the "research" presented, I did speak with professionals who could collaborate the research references.

Hope this helps. Great job so far! GO YOU!!!
  • snha
    Options
    That's very helpful, thank you.
    amagus wrote: »
    First, be very proud of your achievements. Second, you can achieve under 5% A1c values, so do not give up.

Third, there is a book and website which explains how to balance carbs/fat/protein for diabetics. It is called www.bloodsugar101.com. One thing that I was not understanding before reading this book was that net carbs have no effect on blood sugar, and that low glycemic carbs still raise your blood sugar (they just do it well after the normal testing period). This could easily be why your testing numbers are low after meals, but why you A1c is higher than expected.

The website has a calculator which helps you determine how much protein and fat to eat based on the number of carbs you are eating. The calculator has both weight loss and non-weight loss settings. The balance is crucial. If you are not getting enough protein, then your liver counters with blood glucose to power your muscles.

I am not a doctor, nurse or dietitian, but find it is easy to walk through the details and when I was concerned with some of the "research" presented, I did speak with professionals who could collaborate the research references.

Hope this helps. Great job so far! GO YOU!!!

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Are you testing only once a day, at waking? Testing after meals and exercise can help clue you in to what’s going on. Honestly those are higher readings than I would expect for eating 50 carbs or fewer and exercising regularly - whatever your doctor says, you are the only one who can figure out what’s going on and when your sugars are high. Are you on metformin? Metformin can help if the problem is your liver flooding you with glucose. High stress hormones can also keep your body from metabolizing insulin.

You’re doing great so far! I believe in the goal of normal a1c. Don’t give up and keep asking questions!
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    snha, I totally understand where you are coming from, you think I worked hard I want them lower. But stop and just think, where you would be if you had not been diligently working on keeping pretty good blood sugar control.

I also can vouch that the www.bloodsugar 101 website is really worth a read. Interesting information there. Sometimes I find it good to go read as a reminder.

For me I try to stay at 50 to 60 carbs total, I decided not to just look at net. This seems to keep me more true for totals.

Something, I recently discovered, and am not saying anyone should do, but has really been a change for me. I now exercise at night. Often in that 10PM time frame. What I have found is when I do this. For some reason it really almost sets my blood sugars in a great way. No more high readings in the morning. Meaning on a regular basis I am seeing numbers between 100 to 110 first thing in the morning now. I admit my mornings start around 930AM,

Another thing to consider, or even ask if you are eligible for. Is a number of different health plans offer some version of a glucose meter that has a memory built right into it for daily, 7 days, 14 days, 30 days, and 90 days. As well as showing ongoing average, low, and high.
    I have one called the Livongo. So I have a pretty good idea, of what my next A1C will show. Plus I can either email or print out the last 90 days and take with me to Dr. visits. Endocrinologist really likes that I bring it with.

We know we can get it lower. I know you will have success!