Long post from a lurker

Options

Replies

• FitByFifty1970
    FitByFifty1970 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Sorry I have been MIA online - distracting week - been stressing over a job search - been dealing with it for over 2 months and it came to a head and I finally have a verbal offer (written s/b Monday) so I'll give notice sometime this week and then take a few weeks off work totally before I start in 2020 to prepare for a huge challenge that comes with this opportunity. I did purposefully indulge for a few days over the past two weeks knowing it was temporary and logged it all. I gained a pound back when I weighed in last Sunday which I think I've lost over this past week, I'll see tomorrow, it was a lot of sodium filled foods so my body may be excited to retain water for a while longer. It's all good. I did have an unexpected indulge (binge?) yesterday - I REALLY wanted McDonald's so knowing I'd not handle it right I deluded myself that I'd get a double cheeseburger and be done with it...and to nobody's surprise I bought a big mac, qtr pounder, AND a basket of fries....and ate all but half of the big mac. And (TMI warning) spent a LOT of time in the bathroom with tons of cramping and other 'issues' all last night. Logged it all. Interesting experience. Not guilty or anything, after the pain I was in I have no need for guilt, lol. I'll see what the scale says tomorrow but nothing else has changed. I planned and logged out my food for the week, bought only what I need and today was just fine for me. I do make swaps so I'm not forcing myself to have things I don't want but I keep my options limited.

p.s. - it's truly amazing how much less money I spend on food. Had an egg roll, large wonton soup w/ noodles and it was over $10, had pizza delivered ($22 - tossed what I didn't eat), had Five Guys $20. That McDonald's from yesterday was like $10. Four meals over $60? That's crazy. I buy a bag of frozen stir fry veggies w/ sauce packet at Aldi for $4, add in 2 cups of extra frozen broccoli (entire bag is $1), add in microwave cups of rice ($2 for two cups) and make 2 really large and filling meals for $7.
  • FitByFifty1970
    Options
    I lost what I gained, another win for basic CICO. I could hit the 25 pound loss milestone this Sunday. Losing 10% of my starting weight is coming soon too. Size 18 suit pants were technically on today (wasn't pretty and luckily my jacket hid the strained waist) so actually fitting in them is coming soon too.

Sooo here is something......had to do paperwork for a job I'm supposed to start in January. The background check will be done then, not before. But the paperwork requires my height and weight. I put my anticipated weight on my start date (215) rather than not do the paperwork in advance and see what I weigh that morning..... and then lie anyway.....
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    You are doing great...hang in there!
  • FitByFifty1970
    Options
    TY!!!!!!!
  • FitByFifty1970
    Options
    I guess I'm using this as a kind of blog. If I'm not supposed to I'll stop, not sure the preferred rules of the group.

I made a list of every milestone I will hit along my journey. I did list a goal date but that's not as important as the actual date for obvious reasons. I chose pounds lost, % of weight loss goals, and specific scale goals. For example I have lost 20 pounds, and my next few goals are 10% of starting weight lost, 25 pounds, then to be in the 220s. And so on. I really wanted to do by dress size too but that will stress me out. I was a tight 22W when I started in Sept but I cannot really say where I"m at now since every outfit is different. Right now an 18 in a work pant fits fine, an 18 in my jeans is technically on but it doesn't actually fit yet, plus my belly fat distorts things. Then on top I'm making progress but not as much as my pants (was a very tight 22W suit jacket and now a reasonably fitting 20W jacket). So which to track? Plus we cannot spot reduce (sadly, if anyone wants to be an instant gazillionairre you should work on that). So although the dress size matters to me more than the scale I can't use that for milestones to track. It will stress me out.

BUT (always a but)

I start a new job in January and will have to buy new clothes. It's business casual for the most part, and I don't have clothes for that. I REALLY want to be not in the plus size. I also won't buy TOO much but since it's a new job it will be more than I want to considering I'll have to rebuy things over and over again. I despise shopping and not because I'm fat, the stereotype of women and shopping never applied to me ever in my life. If I ever were to be wealthy I'd 100% hire someone to just put stuff in my closet that I should wear. I have zero interest in having input into the process.

Weigh in is tomorrow morning. If I lose 2.2 pounds I hit the 25 pounds lost. If I lose 2.8 I hit that and 10% of my starting weight. If I lose 3.4 I hit both of those and will be in the 220s. But in the end if I lost even .2 of a pound it is still a loss and I'll take it!
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I hear you on the new clothes. I was around 22/24 and am currently between an 18/16 for pants. so I don't want to buy anything new that might not fit six months from now. I went to a local thrift store and snagged two size 16 dress pants a few weeks ago, which fit pretty snuggly at the time, but I figured would work for the spring maybe? I might have to try them on again today...

I'd check out thift stores! they might have fewer items in the 16/18 range, but whatever you find will be less expensive and if they get too big you can always re donate. 😃
  • FitByFifty1970
    Options
    I have found in the past being size 18 is tricky. Plus 18 is cut too big, regular 18 is too tight. When I've been larger or smaller I had options, at 18 and 16 not so much. A size 14 will help but that's quite some time away from now. I'll put off the shopping until the last minute as usual. I have suits in smaller sizes so I can maybe just buy tops and use the pants (I normally wear sleeveless under my suit jacket).

I wish I didnt despise it. People seem to enjoy putting their newly slimmed bodies into smaller clothes and the excitement of it all.
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    @FitByFifty1970 We don't have any specific rules about what to post where, don't worry about it.

I know all too well your frustration with clothes sizes. Right now I'm in a 2xl for shirts... I just retired one 2xl shirt this morning for being really baggy on me... yet I have a couple 2xl shirts in my closet that aren't even close to being able to be buttoned yet! It's ridiculous.
  • michne16
    michne16 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I also belong in the "i hate clothes shopping" camp. I have gone from a 28 to a 14 so I've had to replace my wardrobe in intervals over the past year. I have found that dresses get a lot longer wear than pants so if you have that option, take it. There's a lot of good sales on right now. I am also contemplating buying some pants in too small sizes so that I can buy them cheaply and have them on hand when needed. The only risk in doing this is sometimes inexplicably I jump sizes. It's hard to know when that will happen. I've been very fortunate in that I had a friend give me all of her "fat" clothes that I have been able to supplement my wardrobe. In the plus size arena, try Women Within online. They have reasonable prices, lots of sales, and several basics that you can buy to stretch your wardrobe. Also Amazon. Because I am always in transition and am uncertain about my size it is helpful to order here because if it doesn't work out, then you ship it back for free.
  • dembkogirl
    dembkogirl Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Agree with above on looking at thrift shops to find some clothes for sizes that you anticipate being out of soon. Almost 90% of my winter clothing is from Goodwill, it takes time but I tend to find at least a few cute things everytime I go and when they are $2-3 I don't mind if I grow out of it quickly. Now I will say I do tend to buy my pants new only because it's hard to find the style/size I like in thrift stores.
  • FitByFifty1970
    Options
    @merph518 is it wrong of me to be somewhat relieved men have these issues as well? I am not wishing ill-will but I generally thought mens' clothing was cut more standardized. I didn't realize they could relate as well so I'm glad I learned something.

@michne16 Can we work on a clothing fairy that just tells us what we should wear? I really just don't care about any of this. The only good part of being slimmer is that the same clothes in a smaller size don't look as sloppy. But I've got the big boobs so shirts are baggy to fit over 'em and got big hips but a flat butt (life is cruel) so pants hang/sag from my butt. I know even at my goal size I'm never going to have that problem go away nor will I tailor my clothes but simply being smaller makes it not as sloppy.

@dembkogirl I hate shopping so much that the idea of having to wade through the goodwill/thrift is trauma inducing! I dated someone and he laughed because I'll never do a yard sale or flea market but enjoy auctions immensely. He said it was b/c it was nice and orderly and I don't have to browse, lol.

If anyone is in western PA and loves to shop and dress up other people you just let me know. :wink:
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Ha, it's not wishing ill-will. I think it's generally comforting to know that you're not alone when it comes to frustrations in life.

I grew up *near* western PA (Jamestown, NY), but I'm not there anymore. Besides -- I don't have much fashion sense anyway ;)
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I was not a fan of clothing or shopping initially, but I have grown to enjoy it. But, even though I have grown to enjoy it (not a remark on you/your desires, but more as a prelude into the next statement), I still find clothing frustrating. Because none of it's the same and what looks good to my eyes doesn't look good on me (for a variety of reasons: some physical, some mental, some a combo, and some a lack of confidence).

I did a style box (and want to do another one), which was nice. Because a box came with things that all worked together and I didn't have to try stuff on in the utterly depressingly sterile dressing rooms that are designed to somehow bring out the worst shadows.

Good luck!!
  • FitByFifty1970
    Options
    Oh, now that's an idea. Garanimals for adults! I'm so old, lol
  • FitByFifty1970
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I weighed in on the 24th and hit both the 25 pound mark (was 26) and 10% of my starting weight (11.64%). Last Sunday the 1st I got into the 220s (226.2). I don't know what tomorrow will bring. I haven't been hungry / wanting to eat this past week yet I've been feeling really bloated so whatever tomorrow brings I'll take it and move on. If I lose .2 of a pound I'll hit the 30 pound milestone which would be cool. I also have been having a rosacea flare up too so something is clearly off with me and my body. I don't have a facial until the 21st though. I'll ride it out and see how I feel in a few days.

I am leaving my job this week so I have a bunch going on. I pre-tracked already and some days that meal can be my only meal but that's okay, not too unusual for me though I usually like my large meal in the evening. I am not intermittent fasting or whatever people call it, it's not intentionally doing that. I enjoy the feeling of being full (not stuffed) so I bunch my calories together rather than spreading it out.

Also, and you may find this weird but I also enjoy feeling hungry (not starving). Having my food planned and ready to go makes feeling hungry easier, I know I can easily rectify it. I believe that since I stuffed myself so often and for so long that feeling hungry is new and also helps me appreciate the luxury that I have access to food anytime I want it.

All that said I had a goal of 224 for tomorrow that I will be shocked if I come even close to hitting. On paper I should be there based on my calorie input but I feel like my body is not ready to let more weight go right now. But boy, I really would like to see 226.0 so I can claim my 30 pound milestone! :blush:
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    You are doing great...hope you hit your goal!
  • FitByFifty1970
    Options
    Thanks, I did get my new milestone which was a nice surprise! I posted a lot more detail in the shared numbers thread so won't redo it here.
  • FitByFifty1970
    Options
    I was offline for a week. Felt weird. I weighed in last Sunday very very early (like 4am) and was up .2 of a pound. Was a little surprised but okay. Then was traveling and eating and totally offline. Weighed in early afternoon today and was down to 221. My goal from my 12/8 weigh in to today was 222 (would be 3 pounds over the 2 weeks) so I'm very pleasantly surprised. I feel really bloated though from eating and drinking. I would like to see 219 next Sunday to be in the 21#s. That would be so cool.

What's more amazing is I found my forever person. I was pushed so hard to be dating and I didn't want to. I had resigned myself to being alone. This is kinda insane, it's like a really bad awful romantic movie that would make me puke except it's real. Crazy week, left my job, found the love of my life. Now if I can be in a size 8......
  • FitByFifty1970
    Options
    Lost my long post, to summarize....sorry I went MIA. Started a new job and eyeball deep in a new relationship. Haven't been online at all. Checked in on the scale time to time, just posted today though. Up 1 pound this past month. That's good news. Didn't revert to my ood weight. Hoping things calm down and get more normalized and then back on the downward trajectory. Missed a lot of you guys. Hope all is well.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Started a new job and eyeball deep in a new relationship.

Oooooh how exciting, congratulations on both!