What’s the most your scale has jumped after too many carbs?

Options
AmyG1982
AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
I eat pretty low carb 30-50g usually and weigh once a week. This week I was up 7 lbs! I was 1000 calories below my MFP target for the week and pretty active, had lots of water so no real reason for it to be up so much except I had a higher carb day the night before (like 85g) so I’m wondering if it is just water weight from the extra carbs but that seems like a crazy amount lol

What’s the most your scale has jumped from too many carbs?

Replies

• herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    4-5 pounds. I’m typically 30-50 per day but I had a weekend getaway with rice and sweet potatoes on the menu and lots of vodka. I was surprised I didn’t gain more. Maybe because we did lots of walking that weekend as well. Took me about 4 days to lose it.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    5 lbs, I keep my carbs right around 45-50. But I had a Sunday where I hit 79, and about 60 were some good salty popcorn. Just will say brain stopped working, and mouth was open. It took about 5 days to get that out of system. I am positive that a good 4 lbs was water weight, because the salt factor on that popcorn.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I have gained 8 lbs the next day. Unfortunately part of that was because I was inadvertently glutened and I have celiac disease. It wasn't totally the 'eating the carbs' fault. It was a lot of inflammation.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I generally don't notice more than a 2-3 lb jump from carbs, but I can totally jump 9 lbs overnight from hormones at unpleasant times of month, so it may be more than just carbs.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Probably 5 at the outside, but 3 easily if I stray too far off plan.
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    We ate too many carbs for like a year and the scale jumped like 75 lbs. :rage::blush::lol:

But like, in one day or one weigh-in or whatever, 4 or 5 lbs I think?

We read somewhere there's like a 4 to 1 or a 5 to 1 ratio of water to carbs, like for how the body has to store it? I forget the right terms but like the glucose or whatever... took 4x or 5x as much water ot store the excess from 1x of carbs.

Thats why they say when you have a jump of a few lbs overnight its cos of water. Cos like, unless you're eating like 12,000 calories of anything, you're not like gaining 4lbs of fat overnight. :smiley:
  • Ecosse2018
    Ecosse2018 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    3 lbs when I am tempted by the aroma of toast and have that for breakfast instead of my usual multivitamin drink and a tisane. In 2020 I want to finally reach my target so no more than 20 grams of carbs per day. Have a great lc day everyone 😊
  • nrs101364
    nrs101364 Posts: 343 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    This week with Christmas and all I am up about 5 pounds. Not too happy with myself but not too freaked out either. Definitely feeling crappy with headaches and ready to get back into the groove.
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily at the same time and can see a 3 lb swing day to day, I think it’s a combination of water, previous day calories and the time eaten. The downside of a weekly weigh-in is if one week you are on the low end because you are a little dehydrated and hadn’t eaten for 16 hours and the following week you are on the high end because you are a little bloated and had a late dinner then it appears worse than it really is.
  • petitchatnoir41
    petitchatnoir41 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    8 pounds. I have gastroparesis though. Extreme bloating is normal. :s
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I did see that much increase at points. But, I have to say, 5-pound swings come very often depending on my eating--carbs and other things that retain water!!!
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I've had 15 pound swings. I alternate a lot at this point after hitting my goal weight depending on what my body ask for. Sometimes I do keto, sometimes low carb, sometimes I'm high carb especially during heavy exercise times. Takes extra water molecules to work through those carbs/glucose but just as fast as it adds water weight to the body a few days of keto will send me into major decompress mode. Crazy to see 15 pounds off the scale quick.
  • tierrafuego
    tierrafuego Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    5-8 pound swings after a carb cheat day (never a good idea) are typical for me. It is mainly water but will take a few days of discipline to come back off. Drinking more water is key.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    about 3-4 lbs if I eat a l ot of carbs but I weigh every day so I get hold of it fast.