Discouraged

Options
cinaminy79
cinaminy79 Posts: 18 Member
I started eating better on Christmas Eve (this time around) and I am not losing any weight. This is usually where I give up. I am really trying to stay on track this time despite what the scale says. What keeps you motivated?

Replies

• cinaminy79
    Options
    @88olds I’m not sure what the MFP calculator is? I have used MFP on/off, but have not really explored all of its benefits. I did change my daily goal calories. It had me at over 2000 calories a day and I changed it to 1700, which I stay under. I do not have a food scale but I am planning on getting one.

Thank you everyone for sharing. I am starting PF Monday. I am thinking of getting MFP premium.. is it worth it?
  • cinaminy79
    Options
    I will have to mess around with some of the functions. I think one of the main reasons I give up so quickly is no support. It’s tough when everyone in the house brings home fast food and soda. It’s hard to stay on track. I finally put my foot down and said I need help. It’s been better the past week. I just need to stay on top of it. I need to do this for me. Posting on here and having friends on MFP has really helped me.
    I did buy a food scale on amazon that should arrive tomorrow 😄. Now, I just need to learn to use it. Any tips? Do you weigh meat before or after it’s cooked?
  • cinaminy79
    Options
    @ConfidentRaven I just got the happy scale app. Can’t wait to try it. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,106 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    cinaminy79 wrote: »
    I will have to mess around with some of the functions. I think one of the main reasons I give up so quickly is no support. It’s tough when everyone in the house brings home fast food and soda. It’s hard to stay on track. I finally put my foot down and said I need help. It’s been better the past week. I just need to stay on top of it. I need to do this for me. Posting on here and having friends on MFP has really helped me.
    I did buy a food scale on amazon that should arrive tomorrow 😄. Now, I just need to learn to use it. Any tips? Do you weigh meat before or after it’s cooked?

Use the Tare function - that way you can add your plate/pot/container first and you zero it and just add stuff on/in a bit at a time and log as you go.

Ref meat - always uncooked, most nutrition info is for uncooked, and you have no way of knowing how much water weight is cooked off when cooking which makes zero difference to the calorie content. If you got it from a butchers/somewhere that has no nutritional info you can use the USDA entries/database - for example search "USDA Chicken Breast raw" or the entries from a large supermarket whose nutrition info you can check online for accuracy.

I also found it really helpful to pre-portion snacks (nuts/dry fruit/sweets/etc) and write on the lid in dry wipe marker what the weight is.
  • michne16
    michne16 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I have a scale obsession and it causes me to do crazy things. As such, I only weigh once a month (I started out weighing twice a month). I found this is much easier for me. As long as you are doing what you are supposed to be doing (eating right-food and portions and moderately exercising) you should be losing weight sans outstanding health issue. I log daily. I find this helps from obsessing about the scale yet still allows you to check in on your progress. This method may not be for everyone but it helps me.
  • Tom1997B
    Tom1997B Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I’m in a pretty similar situation, started on New Year’s Day and said I was going to give 100% and I have.. 4+ miles a day, joined the gym, sticking to thre deficit. But a week in and I’ve only lost 1lb (considering the deficit it should be more 3/4 minus waterweight)

The one thing I keep telling myself is, giving up isn’t going to make it any better, so just trying different things to see what makes a change (I’ve been eating about 6 slices of 50/50 bread a day so I’ll probably start there)

In short, just need to stick to it and if in time it isn’t working, mix it up a little bit. I have next to no idea what I’m doing wrong but I guess you don’t know if you don’t try
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,473 Member
    Options
    Tom1997B wrote: »
    I’m in a pretty similar situation, started on New Year’s Day and said I was going to give 100% and I have.. 4+ miles a day, joined the gym, sticking to thre deficit. But a week in and I’ve only lost 1lb (considering the deficit it should be more 3/4 minus waterweight)

The one thing I keep telling myself is, giving up isn’t going to make it any better, so just trying different things to see what makes a change (I’ve been eating about 6 slices of 50/50 bread a day so I’ll probably start there)

In short, just need to stick to it and if in time it isn’t working, mix it up a little bit. I have next to no idea what I’m doing wrong but I guess you don’t know if you don’t try

If you’re losing weight, anything, you aren’t doing it wrong.

So start from the place where you’re doing it right, but you want to do better. Good. Keep tinkering and adjusting.

I was listening to Churchill’s memoirs audiobook when I started tracking. With respect to something in the war effort he said- Perfect is the enemy of the good.

I found that helped me to keep trying.

And btw, do you use a food scale? It can make a big difference. And keep in mind, weight loss is mostly about intake. Good luck.

• Tom1997B
    Tom1997B Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »

If you’re losing weight, anything, you aren’t doing it wrong.

So start from the place where you’re doing it right, but you want to do better. Good. Keep tinkering and adjusting.

I was listening to Churchill’s memoirs audiobook when I started tracking. With respect to something in the war effort he said- Perfect is the enemy of the good.

I found that helped me to keep trying.

And btw, do you use a food scale? It can make a big difference. And keep in mind, weight loss is mostly about intake. Good luck.

I must admit that’s one way of seeing it. I do tend to use food scales when preparing, I’ll often use prepared meals (slimming world do some great meals) due to hectic schedules but when I’m making food myself then a food scale is a must as I’ve made guestimating mistakes before
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,473 Member
    Options
    I’m in a pr
    started on New Year’s Day

@NovusDies

That part flew right by me.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    I’m in a pr
    started on New Year’s Day

@NovusDies

That part flew right by me.

I have read enough of your posts to suspect that was the case. Happens to everyone.