Mistakes You Aim Not to Repeat in Your Dieting Methodology

Weigo2020
Weigo2020 Posts: 41 Member
edited December 2019 in Social Groups
Hello All, to kick off the group, I’d like to ask those who wish to share what you learned from your previous tries at dieting? I’ll start off. I tried keto diet last year (2018) and did it for 9 months. I would do very low carbs for 5 days a week and in the weekends I would cheat and eat whatever. On top of that I ate large amounts of swerve (processed sugar alcohol) which is supposed to be low carb and taste like sugar. At the end of the year I experienced a lot of pain and inflammation and had to go to rheumatologist and nutritionist who ran a battery of tests. Turned out I had very low vitamin d levels. My coach broke it down form me and told me that high protein = high uric acid, which forces the body to draw on calcium levels to regulate the blood ph which leads to vitamin depletion. On top of that sugar alcohols aren’t that great for you either. Anyways, I’m sure I was not supposed to be doing keto for 5 days a week and eating whatever I wanted for 2 days. No more keto no more artificial sugar or sugar alcohol this year. I’m doing IF, no sugar, no gluten. Care to share? Please do!

Replies

• adoucet15
    adoucet15 Posts: 25 Member
    Thanks for this thread. I tried keto as well in 2018 and it shot my cholesterol way up so I had to get off. Probably wasn’t doing it right, even though I had high HDL which is the good cholesterol I think. Anyway didn’t really work for me.

Mistakes I won’t repeat, not planning ahead!

I have a pretty easy time “dieting” because I’m used to it. I don’t eat gluten or dairy for health reasons, and there are several other foods that are hard for me to digest so I’ve always had to avoid.

But not meal prepping or buying my own food is what does me in every time.

This year I’m sticking to my IF as it’s been the most helpful, and I’m buying workout equipment to build a home gym so I can work out conveniently.
  • dudleycallison
    dudleycallison Posts: 14 Member
    I’ll comment on a mistake I made in my exercise methodology... I rarely feel motivated to just go exercise. Then four years ago I walked a pilgrimage journey of 170 miles. Each day I walked to see, listen, think, and discover. The difference was huge. Now rather than just mindless gym-time, I try to stay “awake”- mentally, emotionally, spiritually. It’s not always possible, sometimes you just gotta put in the time and get to work. But a “pilgrimage mindset” reminds me that my goals are more than weight loss. I want to be healthy in every dimension of life. Reflecting on these things while I exercise can make a big difference.
  • nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    My number one lesson learned is always have a plan B..... just because the day doesn’t go as planned doesn’t mean it still can’t be successful with the right choices.
  • squirley13
    squirley13 Posts: 112 Member
    I will read and research (not from traditional sources) all ingredients of food and food products. My mistakes have been not knowing exactly what every ingredient is and what it does to digestion and nervous system. I plan to eat clean and simple with being 90% carnivore from local, free range, grass fed, kosher and uncured when at all possible.
  • Zella132
    Zella132 Posts: 131 Member
    Mistakes You Aim Not to Repeat in Your Dieting Methodology
    The biggest mistake that I aim to NOT repeat this year is to stop logging and regularly weighing myself. As long as I do those 2 things, I seem to have very little trouble staying on track with the rest of my goals.
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    The biggest mistake I resolve not to make again is getting overly confident about my weight loss. I had it nailed for a while, was doing everything right, and I loosened up the reins on myself and undid so much progress. I need to recognize my progress for what it is- the result of mindful and intentional hard work and not expect the results to keep happening when I don't "work it".
  • Zella132
    Zella132 Posts: 131 Member
    cabwj wrote: »
    The biggest mistake I resolve not to make again is getting overly confident about my weight loss. I had it nailed for a while, was doing everything right, and I loosened up the reins on myself and undid so much progress. I need to recognize my progress for what it is- the result of mindful and intentional hard work and not expect the results to keep happening when I don't "work it".

ditto that.
  • squirley13
    squirley13 Posts: 112 Member
    I realized my mistakes have been emotional eating and eating when exhausted instead of just going to bed! I hadn’t done these things since 2018 but the habits came back in April. Aspiring to change and be my own mommy, I will tell myself to stop ✋ fighting the fatigue and stop 🛑 stuffing my feelings. Since I’ve gained back what took 3 months to lose I’m hoping it will come off quicker than before since I have “practice” at it.