Hot hot hot! Bit of a newbie, any advice?

crashdolly
crashdolly Posts: 19 Member
Hey friends,

I've been trying to go LCHF for the past year or so on and off. Decided to properly commit myself on Jan 1st and loving it. Have been lurking on here for a while on and off as well. I've had a few headaches and brain fog yesterday but nothing unmanageable.

One thing I have noticed is after my evening meal I am HOT. My face is flushed and I'm opening windows everywhere to cool down. Very unlike me.

Anyone else experience this? Did it go away? Am I just going to save on my heating bill forever?

Just FYI, I have PCOS and type 2 warning signs, if that's relevant. It's probably those pesky hormones again...

Thanks in advance for any insights!

P.S. I'd also love some friends out there if anyone wants to add me!

Replies

• chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    How often does this happen? I haven't had hot flashes since starting to eat low carb. I've had 2 before in my life, at random times.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    The headaches and brain fog are symptoms of low sodium. Are you supplementing sodium?
  • crashdolly
    chelny wrote: »
    How often does this happen? I haven't had hot flashes since starting to eat low carb. I've had 2 before in my life, at random times.

It seems to happen if I have a big evening meal, about an hour afterwards. If my evening meal is lighter, it's not so bad.
    The headaches and brain fog are symptoms of low sodium. Are you supplementing sodium?

I am, I was expecting those side-effects and they've cleared up now (7 days in).
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    In my experience (I was keto for 1.5 years until I got to goal) and from listening to all the members here and in other forums there are many people who have a more noticeable hormone shift. Hormones run everything basically and any big diet change can potentially impact that in a big way. Also, weight loss mobilizes stored estrogen so many report a 3 or 4 months disruption to their cycles (and also lack of skin clearness and the cranky and BO and greasy hair) that eventually resolves positively. And since intake and digestion and blood sugar regulation are also hormone driven, that surge when having to deal with those processes sounds like it might impact some. I experienced the hot flash some on keto, particularly if I was doing IF and my fasting window was long. After I finally broke my fast, I would indeed feel a flush. Don't get me started on my level of sweatiness for awhile. :unamused:

All that to say that it's hormones, and it will hopefully die down after a few months once everything sorts itself out. YMMV.

• tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Big meals do that to me as well. And hot coffee LOL

Feel free to add me :)
  • crashdolly
    Thanks for the help, friends. I'm hoping it's the hormones - as that's one of the big pushes for me to go low carb, getting my hormones actually functioning!

I'm holding strong and loving it. Here's to more sweaty times to come 😂