Pre-menstrual eating

Options
Hello,
I am new to this group, trying to lose weight again.

I find when I'm premenstrual I just want to eat and eat and eat! It's awful!

I was doing well and then a loss triggered me.

A small victory- I was in the store yesterday, actually 2 stores with a relative and she kept pointing out unhealthy junk foods! I didn't buy any.

Replies

• ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Hello, and welcome to the group! I hope that you find support here.

Yes, I can relate to your experience of pre-menstrual drives to eat. I can understand why you would label that as "awful;" it certainly feels that way to me much of the time, too.

And yet, as I advance in age I consider that my body has a voice, too, and that right before my period it has needs that are not consistent with my body, for example, whe it is ovulating. When ovulating, I have high energy, I digest food better, my weight goes down, I retain less water, etc. But before I bleed, my body slows down, it begs to have extra care, it retains water in preparation of huge bodily event, I am more likely to get sick, my immune system is slower because its strain is heavier, and my body asks for more calories and water.

I spent more of my life feeling guilty and angry about my body's needs because they do not fit the mainstream ideal of consistency, which by the way comes from male experience -- and they do not have body fluxuations in exactly the way that women do.

Today, I try to listen to my body and to HONOR it, because it is a beautiful machine that knows what it is doing, more than I do. I trust it. When it needs, I give.

Now, when it comes to junk food, chances are that sugar and trans fat, for example, is not what your body needs. Instead of sugar, it might need sleep or something else, such as carbs from whole foods, like some potato. Often, my body needs more carbs around my period, and also magnesium and extra iron. Make your period a journey inward to listen and to experiment with finding out what your body really needs. And then give it freely. Your body won't ask anything harmful or destructive from you.
  • leelee_lani
    leelee_lani Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I totally binge during PMS, I’m a bottomless pit for fatty and salty foods. I’m back on track with 48 days of logging on MFP but over ate today. It definitely wasn’t nearly as bad as usual, I’ll give myself that... but I ate three pieces of garlic bread because I just couldn’t help myself and a second helping of dinner. Oops. Trying to be kind to myself about it and not do the usual guilty loathing thing. It’s a work in process. Glad I can spill the beans here to work through it. Hoping my damn period starts soon so the craving will be gone!
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    @leelee_lani sounds like you're showing yourself some compassion and really focusing on the successes rather than what you might, on another day, think of as a failure. That's so great! 🥳

Recently, I have been weighing my food and found for the first time in a very long while that my PMS was not really noticeable this month in terms of food cravings. Of course, it may be a fluke but I always experience strong cravings this time of month. Weighing the food has helped me in a lot of ways, and possibly with PMS cravings to some degree.
  • fostersu
    fostersu Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    YES. I very much relate- I’ll be feeling hungry and grumpy and just want to EAT and I’ll suddenly remember the time of the month. It’s like a surprise every time 🤣.

@blessedwith3boys Glad you had a small success- they add up