New Year New Start: January 2020 Accountability Thread

Options

Replies

• jacau
    jacau Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    l4a_p wrote: »
    Holy shitsnakes! That sounds even better! I've always wanted to do that! You need serious upperbody strength for that.

Give it a go! I can only recommend trying it! Long story short, I’m in love with the sport for a lot of reasons. And the Netherlands have plenty of locations with great teachers. You don’t have to be strong to begin with it. You only need to be curious. :smile:

Here the long story:

After I left the nest to explore the world on my own, I always did some sport, mostly whatever the university gyms were offering but not with overly much love. Then I had a slump for a year or two before pole dance found me. Since my teenage times, this was the first sport to really spark a light again. There were times when I had to scale back because of muscle issues (age is a *kitten* and after 30 the warranty apparently expired...) but I always stuck with it. Weight loss is strongly motivated by wanting to be lighter for those tricks that are just out of reach at the moment, running is for endurance and lowering the threshold for sweating (wet piece of soap is grippy compared to sweaty skin on smooth metal).

The upperbody strength comes over time. A non-avoidable side-effect. What I didn't expect though were the psychological growth and what else happens in the head.

Like, I'm enormously clumsy. The improvement of body control is helping with all things balance, side-stepping things, etc. Incredibly valuable! (especially when you don’t need to replace all those broken things anymore or don't run the risk anymore to step on your cat)

And my self-esteem sky rocketed. Firstly, because, you know, when you manage this really cool and impossible trick after some longer or shorter time of training, it's just satisfying! Secondly, I started to feel comfortable in my own skin. The more you learn to do on the pole, the more skin you want to unveil because that's the stuff that sticks, right? So in the beginning my shorts got shorter, then at some point the belly was exposed. Now I'm comfortable with something that basically does not cover much more than a bikini. And I am fine! I appreciate my body shape now through what it can do, like my strong-shaped thighs (thunder thighs in American English?) mean that anything with hanging at the legs is a piece of cake (more curve = more skin = more sticky contact). That helped me a lot to accept myself. And I know plenty of others who experienced this shift, too, thanks to pole.

It may not be everybody's cup of tea, but it can't hurt to try I guess.
  • sarahjen92
    sarahjen92 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    27, 5'
    SW: 125 lb
    GW: 123 lb

Goal #1: get back into the habit of eating more well-rounded meals (more veggies!)
    Goal #2: run on the treadmill
    Goal #3: don't eat food straight from the bag!!

1/21: 125 lb

1/23: 124 lb
    I'm switching up gears with running to challenge myself...yesterday, instead of focusing on "I have to run for 30 minutes" (which I find myself getting bored), I focused on running 2 miles. The challenge? See how fast I could run it (within reason since I'm not super running fit at the moment!) I did 2 miles @ 3% incline in 18:25 by jogging mostly 6 mph and adding in 30-60 second intervals of 7, 7.5 and 8 mph "easy sprints." Cooled down with a 10 min semi-power walk. I want to focus on building speed and power through the end of January and February

1/24: 124 lb
    Yesterday, I ran 2 miles @ 3% incline in 18:50 with a few 30-60 second "easy sprints" during the second mile. Cooled down with a 5 minute walk. Short and sweet.

1/25: 125 lb
    Not sure if that extra pound is simply from fluctuation or from eating a pound worth of pizza & stromboli last night lol! It was worth it though.
    Ran again yesterday. Starting to enjoy it again some...the time goes much faster when I'm "racing the clock" to get in sprints! 2 miles @ 3% incline in 18:24 with sets of 30-60 second "easy sprints" at 7-8 mph. I'd like to add in some faster sprints next week. Cooled down with a 10 minute power walk.

1/27: 128 lb
    Ate way too much food Saturday and Sunday.
    Saturday, ran 2 miles @ 3% incline in 17:58. Added a couple extra 8 mph sprints and jogged at 6.3 mph for my base (instead of 6) so seemingly making forward progress. I'm actually finding myself looking forward to running again!

1/28: 125 lb
    Yesterday I was tired from only getting 4 hours of sleep (didn’t go to bed till 1 and have to be at work by 6am). I was also stressed and a bit cranky from a lousy morning at work...I thought I might die a few times and sometimes I swear my coworkers are all high schoolers 🙄 BUT, I made myself run, and ended up feeling great! It’s amazing how a good run can rejuvenate you when you think you’re on E, mentally and physically.
    I ran 2 miles in 17:47, took a 5 minute walk break, and then did another 1 mile in 8:17. My challenge was to start at 6.5 and add .3 mph every 30 seconds till I hit 8.5, then reverse and slow down till I hit 6.5 again (or finished the mile).

1/29: 124 lb
    Did another 2 miles yesterday (managed it in 17:44). Took a 5 minute walk break then did 1 mile in 8:30. I was tired and had a headache so it was more of a “just get through this” type day. I think I’m fooling with something because my body is achy on top of the headache and general tiredness.
    Today I decided to push through with a jog. I started out thinking I’ll just do 1 mile and that’s better than nothing. I did it in 9:03, took a walk break and decided to go another mile, which I did in 8:14. Glad I did it! I felt a little better after, but am curling up on the couch with the pups, a good book and my heating pad for the rest of the evening!
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    2019: HW 78 - LW 69
    CW: 72
    Jan GW: 70

Goals:
    1. Walk at least 10k a day
    2. Keep within my daily cals
    3. Push-up challenge restart

01/01: 72
    02/01: 72
    03/01: 71.1
    04/01: 71.0
    05/01: 71.4
    06/01: 71.0
    07/01: 70.8
    08/01: 71.2
    09/01: 71.2
    10/01: 71.6
    11/01: 71.9
    12/01: 71.9
    13/01: 71.9
    14/01: 71.4
    15/01: 71.3
    16/01: 70.5
    17/01: 70.3
    18/01: 71.1
    19/01: -
    20/01: 71.6
    21/01: 71.6
    22/01: 71.3
    23/01: 71.4
    24/01: 70.7
    25/01: 70.4
    26/01: 70.7
    27/01: 71.1
    28/01: 71.1
    29/91: 70.8
    30/01: 70.8
  • Antiopelle
    Options
    jacau wrote: »
    Holy shitsnakes! That sounds even better! I've always wanted to do that! You need serious upperbody strength for that.

Give it a go! I can only recommend trying it! Long story short, I’m in love with the sport for a lot of reasons. And the Netherlands have plenty of locations with great teachers. You don’t have to be strong to begin with it. You only need to be curious. :smile:

Here the long story:

After I left the nest to explore the world on my own, I always did some sport, mostly whatever the university gyms were offering but not with overly much love. Then I had a slump for a year or two before pole dance found me. Since my teenage times, this was the first sport to really spark a light again. There were times when I had to scale back because of muscle issues (age is a *kitten* and after 30 the warranty apparently expired...) but I always stuck with it. Weight loss is strongly motivated by wanting to be lighter for those tricks that are just out of reach at the moment, running is for endurance and lowering the threshold for sweating (wet piece of soap is grippy compared to sweaty skin on smooth metal).

The upperbody strength comes over time. A non-avoidable side-effect. What I didn't expect though were the psychological growth and what else happens in the head.

Like, I'm enormously clumsy. The improvement of body control is helping with all things balance, side-stepping things, etc. Incredibly valuable! (especially when you don’t need to replace all those broken things anymore or don't run the risk anymore to step on your cat)

And my self-esteem sky rocketed. Firstly, because, you know, when you manage this really cool and impossible trick after some longer or shorter time of training, it's just satisfying! Secondly, I started to feel comfortable in my own skin. The more you learn to do on the pole, the more skin you want to unveil because that's the stuff that sticks, right? So in the beginning my shorts got shorter, then at some point the belly was exposed. Now I'm comfortable with something that basically does not cover much more than a bikini. And I am fine! I appreciate my body shape now through what it can do, like my strong-shaped thighs (thunder thighs in American English?) mean that anything with hanging at the legs is a piece of cake (more curve = more skin = more sticky contact). That helped me a lot to accept myself. And I know plenty of others who experienced this shift, too, thanks to pole.

It may not be everybody's cup of tea, but it can't hurt to try I guess.

Really inspiring, thanks for the long story! You rock and you are an example to live by!
  • Antiopelle
    Options
    zk9mfyibl6o5.jpg
    mg3tsgegxsgs.jpg

So this happened. A bug bite turned cellulitis.
    Urgent care to ER to IV and Antibiotics 12pills a day x 5 days!!!
    What a nightmare. Back in 8/2018, I got stung by a bee and same thing except I was admitted to a hospital for 4days. I guess I'm very very allergic to bug bites....

I feel terrible. nauseous, queasy, just icky. I want to feel better and strong again!!!
    Canceled OTF yesterday and vegged out on couch binged watched Netflix.
    Hope to finish up this antibiotics and cleanse after so I can start fresh in Feb!

Holy smokes! Hope you will recover well!
    Shouldn’t you carry an epipen in the future?
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    @cayenne_007 , @jacau, @Antiopelle Thanks girls- I am feeling A LOT better today.
    Still hate the pills, messing up my gut and all but the itch is subsiding and I was able to sleep more last night.

My pants are not closing due to bloat and I feel heavy from all the water I am drinking but I plan on going to workout later.
    I'm pretty sure I will feel better sweating it out.

SO I will log in tomorrow as it is the last day of January!!
    Someone start the Feb thread pleeese ;)
  • l4a_p
    l4a_p Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    BMI: 22

MEASUREMENTS
    Stomach: 82cm (32,82") -> 83cm (32,68) ^up 1cm (.5") last month
    84cm (33,07") -> up 2cm since lowest point
    Waist: 75cm (29,53") - no movement last month
    76cm (29,92") -> up 1cm since lowest point
    Belly/Upperhip: 90cm (35,43") - no movement last month
    92cm (36,22") -> up 2cm since lowest point
    Hips: 99cm (38,98") - no movement last month
    100 cm (39,37') -> up 1cm since lowest point
    Thighs: 58cm (22,83") -> ^up 1cm (.5") last month (up 2cm (1") since November)
    59cm (23,23") -> up 2cm since lowest point

GOALS
    #1 Still working on that actual pull-up/chin-up. I definitely feel I've become stronger yet the full range movement is still (way) out of reach.
    Can do 3 assisted chin-ups
    #2 Get back down to my "stable" weight of 66.x kg
    Everyone please shame and berate me. I *kitten* deserve it.
    #3 Do IF more conscientiously; I've often ended too soon at 13 or 14 hours instead of the minimum 16.
    At least I did that, but without calorie control IF is still good for the health but won't do anything for weight.

2 Jan - 68,7kg (151,46lbs)...
    6 Jan - 68kg (149,91lbs), 7day average
    13 Jan - 67,8kg (149,47lbs), 7 day average
    20 Jan - 67,8kg (149,47lbs)
    27 Jan - 67,4 (148,59lbs), 7 day average

31 Jan - 68,3 (150,58lbs), 7 day average

Actual weight this morning: a whopping 68,9kg (151,9lbs)...

I feel fat and ashamed and stupid for gaining nearly a whole 3kg again since early November. Furthermore, now that I've taken my measurements and am devastated by the results, I can't lie to myself anymore and claim it's "muscles weight' or "water". It's just fat. Welcome back!

I don't know what's going on. I don't eat unhealthy; I think it's mainly portion control that I have trouble with. Yesterday I binged on a whole batch of risotto... And it's not that I eat till I get sick or till I'm bursting. It seems I can just eat a lot and I so like the taste.
    I've also ran less because of those damn shin splint injury. I tried to replace the running with the elliptical but it's not nearly the same burn.

• Antiopelle
    Options
    2019: HW 78 - LW 69
    CW: 72
    Jan GW: 70

Goals:
    1. Walk at least 10k a day
    2. Keep within my daily cals
    3. Push-up challenge restart

01/01: 72
    02/01: 72
    03/01: 71.1
    04/01: 71.0
    05/01: 71.4
    06/01: 71.0
    07/01: 70.8
    08/01: 71.2
    09/01: 71.2
    10/01: 71.6
    11/01: 71.9
    12/01: 71.9
    13/01: 71.9
    14/01: 71.4
    15/01: 71.3
    16/01: 70.5
    17/01: 70.3
    18/01: 71.1
    19/01: -
    20/01: 71.6
    21/01: 71.6
    22/01: 71.3
    23/01: 71.4
    24/01: 70.7
    25/01: 70.4
    26/01: 70.7
    27/01: 71.1
    28/01: 71.1
    29/91: 70.8
    30/01: 70.8
    31/01: 70.4

January has been a bit of a rollercoaster but I end the month well. The goal in February will be to stay between 70.0 and 70.9, which is realistic.
    I did walk my 10K a day globally (some days were less, some days were more); and I am finally mastering week 2 of the pushup challenge.
    I feel energized, and I'm sure that the lengthening of daytime is helping. It's dusk when I arrive at the office, and almost still light when I drive home in the evening. Just a little more patience and it will be all light again ! :smiley:
  • l4a_p
    l4a_p Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    @Antiopelle Thanks for the kind words, although I really AM the type of person to react good to a bit of verbal abuse 😜No mollycoddling! ;)

And congratz on your own progress! Envious of how well you did it this month :)
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    47, 5’2”
    SW:112 ... yes found few pounds!
    GW:110... for the month of January
    CBF: 20.6%
    Goal BF%: 19%

Goal #1:Stick to light dinner diet
    Goal #2:Drinks on weekends only
    Goal #3: OTF 4x week

9/30 109.6, 19.6%
    10/30 108, 19.1%
    11/27 108.4, 19.4%
    12/31 112, 20.6%
    1/4 110.6, 20.2%
    1/8 111.2, 20.3% measurements: 33.5, 27, 33
    1/9 112, 20.4%
    1/14 111, 20.3% same measurements.
    1/16 110, 19.9%!
    1/17 109.4, 19.6%
    1/20 110, 19.6% measurements: 33.5, 28, 33
    1/31 110.2, 20.1% 33.5, 27, 33
    ud1r6go3if8c.png

So with this curb ball of ER run and antibiotics for the ear infection and the cellulitis, I ended not making my Jan goal. (but close)
    I really like the Light dinner diet. My BF lost 6lbs already since I started him on it too. And sometimes keeping the booze only for the wkend is hard, I keep it to a minimum. And it's not that hard. As long as I can keep up with 3-4 workouts a week, I feel good. Not being able to go do something outside is the hardest part of winter here... Miss the sun!
    Anyway, I will add another goal next month and try to reach that goal!
    Good work everyone! Keep it up :D
  • Antiopelle
    Options
    Take care @cayenne_007 . Hubbie and I had bronchitis end December and we are still dealing with the remains. Just make sure you have enough rest. Hugs xxxx
  • sarahjen92
    Options
    I feel fat and ashamed and stupid for gaining nearly a whole 3kg again since early November. Furthermore, now that I've taken my measurements and am devastated by the results, I can't lie to myself anymore and claim it's "muscles weight' or "water". It's just fat. Welcome back!

I don't know what's going on. I don't eat unhealthy; I think it's mainly portion control that I have trouble with. Yesterday I binged on a whole batch of risotto... And it's not that I eat till I get sick or till I'm bursting. It seems I can just eat a lot and I so like the taste.
    I've also ran less because of those damn shin splint injury. I tried to replace the running with the elliptical but it's not nearly the same burn.
    [/b]

I feel you there. Do you weigh or measure your food?

I find it soooo easy to overindulge as I can eat A LOT of food. I've eaten steaks the size of a dinner plate and 2" thick without batting an eye. Along with sides. And then had room for ice cream a half hour later :#

I've spent a lot of time through the years measuring and weighing my food, so I can often times eyeball it and know about what I'm getting. BUT, when I feel myself getting a little out of control (like, it was ALMOST a half cup serving...maybe with a little extra o:) ) I have to go back to actually measuring/weighing. Good luck and you'll get there!
  • sarahjen92
    Options
    27, 5'
    SW: 125 lb
    GW: 123 lb

Goal #1: get back into the habit of eating more well-rounded meals (more veggies!)
    Goal #2: run on the treadmill
    Goal #3: don't eat food straight from the bag!!

1/21: 125 lb

1/23: 124 lb
    I'm switching up gears with running to challenge myself...yesterday, instead of focusing on "I have to run for 30 minutes" (which I find myself getting bored), I focused on running 2 miles. The challenge? See how fast I could run it (within reason since I'm not super running fit at the moment!) I did 2 miles @ 3% incline in 18:25 by jogging mostly 6 mph and adding in 30-60 second intervals of 7, 7.5 and 8 mph "easy sprints." Cooled down with a 10 min semi-power walk. I want to focus on building speed and power through the end of January and February

1/24: 124 lb
    Yesterday, I ran 2 miles @ 3% incline in 18:50 with a few 30-60 second "easy sprints" during the second mile. Cooled down with a 5 minute walk. Short and sweet.

1/25: 125 lb
    Not sure if that extra pound is simply from fluctuation or from eating a pound worth of pizza & stromboli last night lol! It was worth it though.
    Ran again yesterday. Starting to enjoy it again some...the time goes much faster when I'm "racing the clock" to get in sprints! 2 miles @ 3% incline in 18:24 with sets of 30-60 second "easy sprints" at 7-8 mph. I'd like to add in some faster sprints next week. Cooled down with a 10 minute power walk.

1/27: 128 lb
    Ate way too much food Saturday and Sunday.
    Saturday, ran 2 miles @ 3% incline in 17:58. Added a couple extra 8 mph sprints and jogged at 6.3 mph for my base (instead of 6) so seemingly making forward progress. I'm actually finding myself looking forward to running again!

1/28: 125 lb
    Yesterday I was tired from only getting 4 hours of sleep (didn’t go to bed till 1 and have to be at work by 6am). I was also stressed and a bit cranky from a lousy morning at work...I thought I might die a few times and sometimes I swear my coworkers are all high schoolers 🙄 BUT, I made myself run, and ended up feeling great! It’s amazing how a good run can rejuvenate you when you think you’re on E, mentally and physically.
    I ran 2 miles in 17:47, took a 5 minute walk break, and then did another 1 mile in 8:17. My challenge was to start at 6.5 and add .3 mph every 30 seconds till I hit 8.5, then reverse and slow down till I hit 6.5 again (or finished the mile).

1/29: 124 lb
    Did another 2 miles yesterday (managed it in 17:44). Took a 5 minute walk break then did 1 mile in 8:30. I was tired and had a headache so it was more of a “just get through this” type day. I think I’m fooling with something because my body is achy on top of the headache and general tiredness.
    Today I decided to push through with a jog. I started out thinking I’ll just do 1 mile and that’s better than nothing. I did it in 9:03, took a walk break and decided to go another mile, which I did in 8:14. Glad I did it! I felt a little better after, but am curling up on the couch with the pups, a good book and my heating pad for the rest of the evening!

1/31: 123.5 lb - sooo close.
    I did my 2 mile jog at 3% incline in a new lower time (won't say record, cause I believe I used to run faster several years ago lol) - 17:32! I was happy. I didn't add in any extra "sprints," but I've been working on getting my base speed to 6.5 mph instead of 6, and doing longer sets at 7 mph. After a 5 minute walk break, I decided to go up to 4% incline for a little more challenge and just kept the speed between 6.5-7 mph for a mile. Did it in 9:00 and was happy...that 1% makes more of a difference than you'd think...I was starting to regret it the second half of the mile lol!

All-in-all, I'm happy with my progress. I'm more interested in a mindset change at this point, and between being able to sustain a faster pace for longer periods, and *overall* making wiser food decisions, I think I'm getting into a better place to be able to lose the weight I would like to, and keep it off.
  • brouwer28
    brouwer28 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    @Antiopelle Thanks for the kind words, although I really AM the type of person to react good to a bit of verbal abuse 😜No mollycoddling! ;)

And congratz on your own progress! Envious of how well you did it this month :)

I don't think any of us would give could give you verbal abuse - likely we've all been there ourselves! I remember feeling that way about the month of December.
  • brouwer28
    Options
    Apparently I can't form a sentence, haha. Meant to say, "I don't think any of us *would* give you verbal abuse :-D
  • brouwer28
    Options
    Height: 5'9"
    SW: 153
    GW: 140

January GW: 148

Dec 31: 152.3
    January 7: 149
    January 14:150.2
    January 22: 149.2
    January 31: 147.6

Goals this month:
    1. Stay under calorie goal everyday on MFP.
    2. Limit dessert to every other day.

1/7: Well, I haven't been great about goal #1 - but if I'm still losing weight, I'm okay with it. I've modified my dessert goal (#2) to keep it as a treat for the weekend only. Seems like I torture myself if I try to do a little here and there rather than just abstaining throughout the week. I do love my chocolate :)

1/14: Not thrilled to see that I’ve gone up since last week. Not exactly sure why, since I haven’t eaten differently, but I’m trying to remember that this is a slow and steady process. I want to quit yo-yo-ing, so if I lose an average of a pound a week, I’ll be happy.

1/22 (writing on 23): Excited to see I lost a pound since last week! If I can lose one more by the 31st, I'll be happy with this month's progress!

1/25: checking in again because I really need the accountability! I’m committing to a few simple rules between now and my final January weigh in - eat 3 moderate meals/day, no snacking, and allow myself one small treat a day. That’s it. Trying to keep things as simple and sustainable as possible. I want to lose this weight for good!

1/31: Ending the month at 147.6. Seemed like eating 3 moderate meals/no snacking/1 small treat a day worked out okay. I like the structure to it, so I think I'm going to keep it up for next month.
  • Antiopelle
    Options