Valentine's Day/Easter

dawnz75
dawnz75 Posts: 579 Member
So "Chocolate" Day is just around the corner. The stores are already full of Valentines Day and Easter candies and decor. What are your plans to stay healthy and not over indulge during this mini holiday?
I tend to just purchase quality items or specialty items in packages of 3 or 4. I have 3 girls, so they each get one and the hubbie the other. But I can not have extra candy floating around in my home. I CAN eat one or two of something, but they will taste the same next Valentines Day and probably taste better if I am down 50 lbs or so... SO my goal is NO holiday candy this year, but if I find something worth it, one or two pieces will not break the bank. I just have to be mindful of the 1 piece as a gateway to 100 pieces. What about you all?

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    It is very hard for me to have one serving of anything sweet...all it does is wet my appetite and then it’s binge time....I do ok with a slice of birthday cake but candy and cookies are trigger foods for me...
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Well my daughter is in another country workin, so no buying for her. And hubbie I will get him something else this year. But I told him get me no chocolate no candy. I will make a sugar free chocolate mousse dessert for us to eat. Will be small, we eat then gone and within my allowance of food.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    valentine's day has never been a problem for me. I don't have kids or any sort of significant other, so I don't have to worry about chocolate being around, unless my sister does like she did last year and picks up a small chocolate something or other. I just tossed it into my freezer and then forgot about it until I finally through it away as it wasn't even good chocolate and wasn't tempting at all!

She tried to give me some of those smarty-hearts things, but I don't like them either, so it was easy to turn them down.

Easter, on the other hand, is a little trickier because dab blame it, I like cadbury eggs! The good news is that they are so rich, its easier to split them in half. Or better yet, if I can find the actual caburry egg mini's that come in a tray. They aren't always easy to find, and I hate the ones that are like malt balls.
  • conniewilkins56
    Well my daughter is in another country workin, so no buying for her. And hubbie I will get him something else this year. But I told him get me no chocolate no candy. I will make a sugar free chocolate mousse dessert for us to eat. Will be small, we eat then gone and within my allowance of food.

The chocolate mousse is a great idea for the entire family!...thanks....one year I made a heart shaped meatloaf, beets and cherry cheesecake....will not be any cheesecake this year!
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    We wont go out for valentine's this year as we have my step daughter so that's an easy one. Easter I'm fairly good at, I'll have 1 egg and build it into my allowance.
  • michne16
    michne16 Posts: 538 Member
    Valentine's can does not bother me but Easter candy is my kryptonite. I can't have it. At all. Or I will not stop eating it. I'm talking bags of those solid chocolate Cadbury eggs and Reese's eggs and malted milk eggs and Cadbury eggs, and on and on and on. Why did they have to start in January?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    We barely celebrate Valentine's day most of the time and I cannot remember the last time we bought any candy for Easter. It is different when there are have never been any kids involved I suppose.

When faced with something like this though I always try to figure out how I would plan to celebrate it forever and then work out a strategy. It may or may not go to plan but even if it does not it is one day and hopefully I would learn what I may need to do next time/year.

I think it depends on each person's comfort level on how much they are ready to try. If this is a really special day and it involves a nice dinner out you could bank some calories or just choose to eat maintenance that day. If you are still very new to weight loss or feeling vulnerable at the moment it may be wise to stick with your normal routine for now.

One of my most important rules is that I don't feel deprived. This exists because it is the cause of many past failures. I cannot allow myself to fall back into a trap where losing weight is always the highest priority and speed of loss leaves me feeling left out of things that are important to me. I firmly believe that when I get to the end of the losing phase I am not going to care that I could have gotten there a little sooner.
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    I am pretty happy to have come up with a way to participate in my work department's "Valentine's Day Gift Bag" thing. Most everyone puts in a piece of candy for each bag but I am going to give everyone a non-food gift.

I found some balsa wood heart shapes which I am painting in the colors of the (awful tasting) conversation heart candies, pink, yellow, light green, white, lavender.....and then writing phrases such as UR Cute, or Be Mine, etc. This is a total game changer because the craft costs less than candy, my crafting urge has been satisfied, and they are turning out to be really cute!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    I am of the opinion that most holidays are just corporate greed days now, it's just an excuse for a lot of companies to make a lot of money, so I try not to buy into it.

I've also tried to move away from the habit of associating food/drink with love.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Candy and flowers are the easy way out. I cleaned the house and did the laundry. I also bought her a plant and a card but the thing she will appreciate the most is the clean house.
  • michne16
    Easter candy is haunting me. Must resist!
  • conniewilkins56
    michne16 wrote: »
    Easter candy is haunting me. Must resist!

Think how icky those chocolate bunnies and peeps taste!...buy you a couple of good chocolates and savor them!
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Currently there are three boxes of chocolates and something called Chocolate bread (it's as big as my head) sitting in the breakroom at work.
  • michne16
    [quote="Think how icky those chocolate bunnies and peeps taste!...buy you a couple of good chocolates and savor them![/quote]

Unfortunately I can't eat any sugar or fake sugar products due to my liver so I really can't have it. I don't care about peeps but I do miss milk chocolate stuff. Especially milk chocolate eggs.
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    OMG I saw Hot Tamale Peeps at my local grocery store. If anything can push me over the edge...
  • bmeadows380
    I bought a package of 10 peeps - funny how the chicks are 7 calories less a piece than the bunnies!

Anyway, I've been really good at parceling them out. And I hunted up the mini-cadbury eggs - the ones that come in 12 pack tray like an egg carton that are real cadbury creme eggs and not malt balls - and I've been parceling them out as well. I've been really good so far with sticking to one or 2 chicks and 1 egg and working it into my calorie budget for the day, especially if I can get a walk in or an elliptical session!
  • conniewilkins56
    I hate peeps....ugh lol....give me the chocolate peanut butter eggs!
  • bmeadows380
    *laughs* I like the chocolate peanut butter and coconut ones, but can't get them in mini's to be able to allow myself that luxury, cause I don't see myself being able to stop at only half, and the sugar free variety aren't low calorie.

I did see chocolate dipped peeps the other day, though :)
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    I bought a package of 10 peeps - funny how the chicks are 7 calories less a piece than the bunnies!

Anyway, I've been really good at parceling them out. And I hunted up the mini-cadbury eggs - the ones that come in 12 pack tray like an egg carton that are real cadbury creme eggs and not malt balls - and I've been parceling them out as well. I've been really good so far with sticking to one or 2 chicks and 1 egg and working it into my calorie budget for the day, especially if I can get a walk in or an elliptical session!

The mini eggs, I will be buying them but not for me. Will be sending to my daughter in S Korea it is a candy she cannot get over there, along with the Reeces peanut butter cups, ok eggs at this time of year. I think she said they do have their version of peeps though.

The other thing that is big at this time of the year is the Girl Scout Cookies, and will be sending some of those away as well. Hard to believe but the ones the daughter likes would literally become stale in front of me. She loves the Samoas, the Tagalongs, and is willing to try whatever the new Lemon ones are. And me I would never eat any of those.

I must never buy Thin Mints, because I have control issues with them. You know where I think each sleeve should equal being eaten while reading a good book. Sigh! Some behaviors are so very hard to change.