Favourite food you've discovered recently

12345679»

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    maiomaio71 wrote: »
    Sweetcorn fritters made with fresh sweetcorn, polenta, eggs and sour cream. It's a Peter Gordon recipe if you can be bothered to look it up (kiwi chef....famous here!) that he does with oysters. I do mine without oysters but come oyster season I'm going to get some. Such a great recipe and for gluten-free people it's awesome... that's how I first discovered it.

those sound really good! Though I'll have to figure out how to sub cornmeal for polenta :)
  • bmeadows380

I'm afraid the website doesn't work for me - it'll pull up the recipe page, then goes to a sign in page, and if I close that window, it just takes me to a pages selling books.
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    edited February 2020
    @bmeadows380

INGREDIENTS
    1 large egg plus 1 egg white
    60 g (2 oz) polenta
    ½ teaspoon salt
    150 ml (5 fl oz) sour cream
    150 g (5 oz) corn kernels, fresh or tinned
    2 spring onions, sliced
    12 oysters, out of the shell (drain off juice)
    butter or oil for frying
    1 tablespoon finely sliced chives
    METHOD
    Mix egg and white with polenta, salt and half the sour cream. Stir in corn. Stand 10 minutes. Mix in spring onions and oysters.

Heat a little oil or butter in a frying pan and dollop in small spoonfuls of mixture, allowing one oyster per fritter. Cook until fritters begin to firm slightly then flip and cook no more than 10 seconds – you don’t want to overcook the oysters. Flip back over and place on a platter or in their own shells which have been washed well and warmed slightly. Dollop remaining sour cream on top of each fritter then sprinkle with the chives. Eat while still warm.

• bmeadows380
    @bmeadows380

INGREDIENTS
    1 large egg plus 1 egg white
    60 g (2 oz) polenta
    ½ teaspoon salt
    150 ml (5 fl oz) sour cream
    150 g (5 oz) corn kernels, fresh or tinned
    2 spring onions, sliced
    12 oysters, out of the shell (drain off juice)
    butter or oil for frying
    1 tablespoon finely sliced chives
    METHOD
    Mix egg and white with polenta, salt and half the sour cream. Stir in corn. Stand 10 minutes. Mix in spring onions and oysters.

Heat a little oil or butter in a frying pan and dollop in small spoonfuls of mixture, allowing one oyster per fritter. Cook until fritters begin to firm slightly then flip and cook no more than 10 seconds – you don’t want to overcook the oysters. Flip back over and place on a platter or in their own shells which have been washed well and warmed slightly. Dollop remaining sour cream on top of each fritter then sprinkle with the chives. Eat while still warm.

thanks! I"ll have to try this!
  • bmeadows380
    NOt sure if I'd put this here yet or not, but I figured out how to make 2 person Buttermilk Biscuits! (American biscuits, which are a bread, not a cookie lol)

2 Person Buttermilk Biscuits

3/8 tsp baking powder
    dash of salt to taste
    1 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
    1.5 oz buttermilk (may need a little less; start with 1 oz and add more until you get a nice soft but not wet dough)
    1/4 cup all purpose flour (if using self rising, eliminate baking powder and salt)

soften the butter, then stir in baking powder, salt, and flour until the butter is in small pieces and well distributed (like pie dough before you add water). Stir in the buttermilk to get your soft dough.

Turn out onto a small plate that is lightly floured and kneed for a bit. Tear the dough into 2 balls; flatten into 2 small patties. Place on a lightly greased small baking sheet and bake for about 12 minutes in a 425F degree oven (works beautifully in a toaster oven if you have one).

The ones I make are roughly 115 calories a biscuit, though I pretty much always eat both :)
  • itzaboutme
    itzaboutme Posts: 14 Member
    Made Lentil "meatballs" last night. My carnivore husband loved them, didn't even miss the meat.
    https://www.connoisseurusveg.com/lentil-meatballs/
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I made a surf and turf meatloaf. It came out at around a 250 calorie savings but the meatloaf was still pretty expensive at 525 per 12oz serving. Of course that is a generous serving size.

It had a good flavor but I was in a hurry and overworked the meat in the food processor which threw off the texture. The texture is not a a problem cold.

All and all not bad for a first run. I could do better.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    My grandson who is 14 was looking through the pantry and refrigerator trying to decide what he wanted to eat...he asked if he could have one of my Chobani Key Lime yogurts...I told him that was fine...then he asked for a string cheese, some almonds and a slice of Italian bread and a slice of the “ good” ham...again I told him he could have whatever he wanted...as an after thought he told me the Skinny Cow ice cream treats looked really good...I said he should take one of those, too...as he went out of the kitchen, he told me it was probably really easy for me to diet because I had all of the good stuff!...he cracks me up!...
  • bmeadows380
    so this is rather interesting: I decided to try out the black bean brownie recipe on the front page (subbing in swerve for the sugar, egg whites for one of the eggs, and sugar free chocolate chips instead of regular that I plan to spread on top like an icing). Anyway, usually, I'd just count 3.5 servings of the beans following the serving size on the back of the can.

However, today, after rinsing the beans, I weighed them and found that I had 2 servings of beans, meaning the rest of the weight in the can was the liquid they were canned in!