staying hungry

brenn24179
brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
I lost my weight 40 lbs eating 100 gr of carbs or less and logging but now I am staying hungry for some reason, maybe I am just hungry for foods that I dont eat. Could be stress, adult kids, 92 year old Mom, life stuff. Finding it hard to stay on course after 2 years. Is stress making me want carbs?

Replies

• supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Stress can make me run to carbs. It might be the same in your case. I usually find if I up my protein at each meal I do a little better in keeping the carbs under control. Sometimes I go really low carb for a few days to lose that craving for sugar/flour products.

I know that stress is a part of life and I try to deal with it without adding more carbs (which in the long run only increases my stress).
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Yep, you have very similar circumstances as I except no kids - 3 elderly parents instead, in various stages of cognitive impairment. My big issue is tons of dairy as my stress go-to. Like a lb of cheese at a time. Cut in thick slices and eaten consecutively over 45 minutes in the evening. Sometimes with organic blue corn taco chips. If I could get rid of those two habits It'd all be a breeze.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I've never had the loss of appetite as a side effect of keto/low-carb...however, there are lots of things that trigger a raging appetite...stress, cold weather, certain times of month, being more active, having alcohol, having sweets/sugar.

I try a variety of things to deal with the incessant hunger when it arrives...

1 - non calorie drinks like hot/cold herbal teas, coffee, diet sodas, etc.

2 - high volume foods, things that take up a lot of room in my stomach (so I feel full and satisfied) with a low calorie cost, so things like green salads and brothy soups and cups and cups of low carb veggies like celery.

3 - getting my protein, I do not naturally crave a lot of meat, so I do really have to work on eating more meats sometimes, and when it's the hungries then I try to go with lean meats particularly so I'm getting a bigger protein punch per ounce/calorie than the fatty meats that I normally eat.
  • brenn24179
    did better today, feeling sorry for myself lately dealing with adult kids and Mom and finally decided enough is enough, people have it harder than you do so get a grip and quit doing all this overeating. I seen a guy in Mcdonalds with one leg and I thought I could certainly go with a small amount of food with my stress, my stress could be a lot worse. I am planning on drinking more water and coffee when I get hungry and upping that protein of course.
  • LadyBlanks
    LadyBlanks Posts: 1,070 Member
    If you haven't, you may need to recalculate your calories for your new weight. Are you in Maintenance or still losing? If you are maintaining, you may need more calories.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    I feel you here. I never got the appetite suppression either. My body just likes to eat. So I can overeat keto/LC just as well. So there is a lot of hungries going on with me whenever I'm in weightloss-mode or at maintenance. I chew gum, drink diet sodas, have flavored teas, and do higher protein and IF, concentrating my cals at the end of the day for supper and a bedtime snack so that I don't go to bed hungry.
  • supergal3
    @baconslave : I, too, can overeat on any diet plan. I know there is a lot of talk re fat having a satiety factor but I have never noticed it. It helps me to talk to myself i.e. "you ate enough for the day" or "how badly do you want to reach goal weight?" (a food program really starts in the brain), and keep busy and interested in non-food agendas.
  • baconslave
    supergal3 wrote: »
    @baconslave : I, too, can overeat on any diet plan. I know there is a lot of talk re fat having a satiety factor but I have never noticed it. It helps me to talk to myself i.e. "you ate enough for the day" or "how badly do you want to reach goal weight?" (a food program really starts in the brain), and keep busy and interested in non-food agendas.

I read a book called Beck's Diet Solution. It teaches you how to "think" like a thin person. I have a very very strong appetite/hunger drive. The book suggested I remind myself that hunger is not a crisis! So I told myself that. I told myself "Girl, you ain't dyin'!" And if I had to wait to eat, y'know what, there's fat available, Body, you can eat that. So I just breathe and get busy or do those hacks I mentioned. It is a lot harder during the Hormone Rebellion time we female get to experience montly. :unamused: But I do alright for the most part.
  • supergal3
    I have no monthly excuse. :(
    I will look at the book you mentioned.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2020
    I feel all you. I am a huge volume eater and my weight loss calories are at 2000-2200. The only way that i can lose weight is with limiting or cutting out breakfast and adding a ton of cruciferous veggies with high protein. For example, an omelet for me is 5 eggs, 1 tbsp heavy cream, shredded cheese, peppers, onions, avocado, salsa and usually a side of nuts. And its combined with diet dew and a ton of water. So just keep at it.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    I am going to look for Becks Diet Solution. I have been craving snacks lately bad. And often they lead to a downfall for me. But I am determined that there is no quitting this round. This is it, to keep on keeping on.
    So I did make some pumpkin fat balls as I call them. Not quite as heavy duty as fat bombs. But working 3 a day in, is taking my mind away from sweet snacks.
    And I no longer deal with the hormone situation, and do not miss it even a little. Great thread.
  • supergal3
    Also found a free downloadable PDF of "Never Binge Again". Don't know if I possess an inner "Pig" but it might be worth glancing over.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Becks Diet Solution is a very useful book. If you can, try to work your way through the exercises. I've known several gals that thought it was great. We were all together on one of the old 3FatChicks chat board. (Ancient internet days, lol - it is still around though.)
  • ploomka
    ploomka Posts: 308 Member
    Also found a free downloadable PDF of "Never Binge Again". Don't know if I possess an inner "Pig" but it might be worth glancing over.

Thanks for this. I downloaded free kindle edition from Amazon.

I’m not really sure about his approach though. I’m not a never/always person. I feel this mentality sets one up for failures. Anything, even one bite, on the “never” list is “pig slop binge”? Like, I practice sugar avoidance. But does that mean I’ll never eat a single gram of sugar? No, if it fits with my macros, I’ll absolutely eat some dark chocolate. I don’t feel like this qualifies as a binge. I couldn’t think of a single thing I would put on my never list.

Maybe this approach works for folks who are struggling with committing to a certain WoE. But for myself, I think it’s an unsustainable approach, and sets one up for a lot of guilt and self abuse.

• al4374
    al4374 Posts: 44 Member
    Highly recommend Becks Diet Solution!
  • brenn24179
    yes I love that book Becks Diet Solution, very helpful
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I too found the Beck's Diet Solution helpful. You can get it on Kindle if you have an IPad or kindle reader. I learned a few tricks in it.
  • baconslave
    ploomka wrote: »

I’m not really sure about his approach though. I’m not a never/always person. I feel this mentality sets one up for failures. Anything, even one bite, on the “never” list is “pig slop binge”? Like, I practice sugar avoidance. But does that mean I’ll never eat a single gram of sugar? No, if it fits with my macros, I’ll absolutely eat some dark chocolate. I don’t feel like this qualifies as a binge. I couldn’t think of a single thing I would put on my never list.

Maybe this approach works for folks who are struggling with committing to a certain WoE. But for myself, I think it’s an unsustainable approach, and sets one up for a lot of guilt and self abuse.

Me too, I cannot do perfect keto, I am Chinese, so when eat with my family, I definitely not going to eat rice, but I am definitely going to enjoy my mom's amazing braised pork belly even though there are sugar in the seasoning.

I just use dessert flavored tea to curve craving for snack. I don't need to even add sweetener
    My favorite are Salted caramel tea by Bigelow, they are selling in Walmart now.

Sounds like I need to try that tea! :love:
  • skinnyjingbb
    skinnyjingbb Posts: 127 Member
    baconslave wrote: »
    ploomka wrote: »

Me too, I cannot do perfect keto, I am Chinese, so when eat with my family, I definitely not going to eat rice, but I am definitely going to enjoy my mom's amazing braised pork belly even though there are sugar in the seasoning.

I just use dessert flavored tea to curve craving for snack. I don't need to even add sweetener
    My favorite are Salted caramel tea by Bigelow, they are selling in Walmart now.

Sounds like I need to try that tea! :love:

If you want to try it, definitely buy them now, Walmart only have sell them as seasonal item. Although you can always buy them online I think.
    Add a bit of heavy cream and sweetener to make more like a dessert.