Some Thoughts about Lent

Options
NovusDies
NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
I am very reluctant to discuss anything religious online. I am also not going to try to advise anyone on what they should or should not do if they observe Lent in a traditional or non-traditional manner. I am going to throw out my thoughts and if anything sticks that is fine, if not, that is fine too.

I do observe it myself but for me it is optional.

Last year when making my decisions about what to do or not to do for Lent I realized that being in a calorie deficit meant that I was already giving up something food related. This helped to guide me about what I would choose to do. Last year and this year I have also made my choices with the idea that I should not be too aggressive and end up miserable enough that I could not stick to my plans. I wanted to "feel" it without adding restriction(s) that unraveled everything if that makes sense.

It goes against my personal beliefs to disclose what I did and will do. I typically give up 2 things which I did last year and will do again. I have also decided to add 2 things for the first time. They are small things but I like the idea of "giving up" 10 minutes of my day to do them.

I decided not to do any full day fasting whatsoever last year. Since I am in maintenance this year the idea is back on the table but I am still not sure it is a good idea because of my exercise schedule. In the past fasting days were always pretty still and quiet days. If I do decide to do it this year I doubt it will be more than one single day.

Discuss it if you would like but please keep this confined to trying to balance health goals with any Lent goals you may have.

Replies

• papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    This year a faceboook friend put the challenge out to exercise every day for Lent. I've decided I could get on board with that so I joined. I'm not prepared to give up anything food wise. I used to give up regular coca cola during lent but I've been off that since August and my one minor occasional substitute is Cherry Coke Zero which I don't want to give up.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    First I will admit to not being terribly religious. But for a number of years, I happen to have a friend who is, and eventually she calls me and keeps asking me to pair with her and give something up. Being that we have been doing this for oh about 43 years now, I will admit it is a habit.

I have noticed that I have been chewing way too much gum, yes it is sugar free, but I have noticed it from standpoint of when I chew too much gum, literally my jaws start aching. You would think I would get a clue and just stop. So I am giving up chewing gum for lent. And my intention is to see how long I can make it without it, even afterwards. Or put a hard number of what is acceptable.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    papayahed wrote: »
    This year a faceboook friend put the challenge out to exercise every day for Lent. I've decided I could get on board with that so I joined. I'm not prepared to give up anything food wise. I used to give up regular coca cola during lent but I've been off that since August and my one minor occasional substitute is Cherry Coke Zero which I don't want to give up.

Seems reasonable. I imagine Lent challenges like that could be fun. I have never done one.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    First I will admit to not being terribly religious. But for a number of years, I happen to have a friend who is, and eventually she calls me and keeps asking me to pair with her and give something up. Being that we have been doing this for oh about 43 years now, I will admit it is a habit.

I have noticed that I have been chewing way too much gum, yes it is sugar free, but I have noticed it from standpoint of when I chew too much gum, literally my jaws start aching. You would think I would get a clue and just stop. So I am giving up chewing gum for lent. And my intention is to see how long I can make it without it, even afterwards. Or put a hard number of what is acceptable.

I don't think being religious is a requirement. Lent is a good time to do exactly what you are thinking of doing and try to break a habit you think is bad. My wife and I are doing one thing together that should help us to stop automatically jumping into the same rut so much.
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of doing something extra for Lent as well as giving something up. I think an exercise or meditation goal is a good one. Start a good habit as well as break one. Food for thought.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I am "religious" (I hate to use that term lol) but Lent wasn't something that was regular observed where I grew up or in my church. I didn't even know what it was until I was went to college and then moved to PA where it is a very popular custom amongst most of the population, religious and non-religious. Most people in that part of PA observe it, whether they are church-goers or not.

I can understand the value of it - for spiritual purposes and even for non-religious ones; as you said, taking that time to break a bad habit and get some support while you do it can be very beneficial! I know most people seem to think of a food (one gentleman I worked with would give up sweets every year for that period), but giving up something non-food can be just as valuable, and maybe more so. I know of some who would give up TV or computer time, or something like that, and strive to use that time for something more productive.

That said, I still don't really plan to observe it myself.