This February I Will....

Options

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,975 Member
    Options
    fbnjebmwdo3e.png
    ]

I am focusing on my art practice, as it is key to my maintaining my weight. It relaxes me, gives me purpose, leads to discovery & learning, and brings me joy!

Feb 1 - began Major Re-org of Art Studio

🎨 Feb 2 - coloring book fun that I embellished with added drawings, quotes, family member’s names!!! I like it much better if I personalize the page- just had never thought of it before!

🎨 Feb 3 - played with watercolor on scraps of paper. No pressure. The best one was just pure chance :)

Jan 30-Feb 2 Major revamp of art studio to support my current interests. Not giving away much - just organizing more efficiently. Loved all empty boxes & bins downstairs for other uses. Two more days to go on the revamp!

🎨 Feb 4 coloring book for hours over several times of the day - relaxing

🎨 Feb 5 organized my scrap paper, then planned the framing of my friend’s tapestry.
    Then off to art group- coloring book
    Plan to do pen & ink flower piece later today for an upcoming exhibit in town!!!!

It was so nice to have a clear table to play with my paints today!!! Fun!!

🎨 2/6 helped a friend choose fabric/wall paper at a Re-use non-profit for her tapestry. Chose a few things for my fabric & paper supplies; was moderate.

🎨 2/7 Took 20-30 minutes of notes of a novel I hope to use as inspiration for a handmade art book/diary.
    Watched two videos: one on some principles that aid with composition & another that reminded me to use phone to see in process art in value scale &:or upside down to improve composition. Reminded that I don’t use enough dark darks :)

2/8 collected vintage-y items into one place
    2/9 Art studio reset
    2/10 coloring book (driving lots)
    2/11 Painting class with friend
    2/12 watched a teaching video on developing one’s own artistic voice (driving lots)
    2/13 watched a collage teaching video
    Major Reorg. of art studio supplies (driving lots)
    Got 2 new art supplies & only the two I planned to get! Yay!

Weight is up after my trip - I am resisting the urge to toss art aside :) I can find the balance.

2/17 lots of work with design, values, & composition !! Got a little overwhelmed, but pulled myself out of it!!!

More work on my collage

2/18 Lots of work with values & doing thumbnails of compositions with lights & darks. #determined
    Now figuring out how to improve the composition of my collage

Straightened watercolor area.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 Sometimes when we learn or practice new things, that feeling of overwhelm leads to new understanding. It’s part of the growth process that we need to accept before we can move on. It’s like when I tried to focus on macros, it was just too much so I just logged food. I am slowly but surely moving towards focusing on macros but growth comes in itty bitty pieces, so for now it’s enough to know it will happen in due time. We can learn a lot about ourselves from our creative endeavors 🧵 🎨 💃 🎸 etc.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    @MadisonMolly2017 Sometimes when we learn or practice new things, that feeling of overwhelm leads to new understanding. It’s part of the growth process that we need to accept before we can move on. It’s like when I tried to focus on macros, it was just too much so I just logged food. I am slowly but surely moving towards focusing on macros but growth comes in itty bitty pieces, so for now it’s enough to know it will happen in due time. We can learn a lot about ourselves from our creative endeavors 🧵 🎨 💃 🎸 etc.

@nebslp
    Yes! Thank you for your encouragement & wisdom! I found some extra sleep helped, too!!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    fbnjebmwdo3e.png
    ]

I am focusing on my art practice, as it is key to my maintaining my weight. It relaxes me, gives me purpose, leads to discovery & learning, and brings me joy!

Feb 1 - began Major Re-org of Art Studio

🎨 Feb 2 - coloring book fun that I embellished with added drawings, quotes, family member’s names!!! I like it much better if I personalize the page- just had never thought of it before!

🎨 Feb 3 - played with watercolor on scraps of paper. No pressure. The best one was just pure chance :)

Jan 30-Feb 2 Major revamp of art studio to support my current interests. Not giving away much - just organizing more efficiently. Loved all empty boxes & bins downstairs for other uses. Two more days to go on the revamp!

🎨 Feb 4 coloring book for hours over several times of the day - relaxing

🎨 Feb 5 organized my scrap paper, then planned the framing of my friend’s tapestry.
    Then off to art group- coloring book
    Plan to do pen & ink flower piece later today for an upcoming exhibit in town!!!!

It was so nice to have a clear table to play with my paints today!!! Fun!!

🎨 2/6 helped a friend choose fabric/wall paper at a Re-use non-profit for her tapestry. Chose a few things for my fabric & paper supplies; was moderate.

🎨 2/7 Took 20-30 minutes of notes of a novel I hope to use as inspiration for a handmade art book/diary.
    Watched two videos: one on some principles that aid with composition & another that reminded me to use phone to see in process art in value scale &:or upside down to improve composition. Reminded that I don’t use enough dark darks :)

2/8 collected vintage-y items into one place
    2/9 Art studio reset
    2/10 coloring book (driving lots)
    2/11 Painting class with friend
    2/12 watched a teaching video on developing one’s own artistic voice (driving lots)
    2/13 watched a collage teaching video
    Major Reorg. of art studio supplies (driving lots)
    Got 2 new art supplies & only the two I planned to get! Yay!

Weight is up after my trip - I am resisting the urge to toss art aside :) I can find the balance.

2/17 lots of work with design, values, & composition !! Got a little overwhelmed, but pulled myself out of it!!!

More work on my collage

2/18 Lots of work with values & doing thumbnails of compositions with lights & darks. #determined
    Now figuring out how to improve the composition of my collage

Straightened watercolor area.
    2/19 composition ideas for an art piece for local exhibit. Watched Q&A video on values!!

2/20 collaged two pages using my new learning on lights & darks & varying shapes at a friend’s house 5 hrs!! Such fun!

2/21 watched videos on “mother color”
    & mixing paints,

2/22 watched art instruction videos, manipulating images digitally to improve composition, coloring book relaxation
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options

This is so true, @nebslp! And @MadisonMolly2017, I agree...sleep really does help!
  • themedalist
    edited February 2020
    Options
    It’s been a busy couple of weeks. My family is moving my Dad (who had a stroke last summer) into a new retirement community this Wednesday. There’s been a lot of details to be worked out. I think he’s going to really like the new place. It has a lot more dining options, activities, and the residents are mostly retired military, which my dad is. And as a bonus, my mom will be moving there too in the next few weeks. They won’t be able to share an apartment at least right away because dad needs nursing services and Mom will be in assisted-living. But at least they will be together!

My goal this month of getting to bed earlier has been hit or miss. I’ve probably averaged about 40%. But I am sleeping much better because of the humidifier so that’s something!

I’m really enjoying having more daylight! I leave work at 5:30 and now my 10 minute walk to the parking lot is still somewhat light. Pretty soon the drive home will be in daylight too! I’ve been listening to the audiobook, Hardwiring Happiness, by Rick Hanson and he stresses how important it is to notice and focus on little happy moments throughout the day and to look for things to be grateful for. I’m very grateful for the longer day!
  • themedalist
    Options
    This article on building healthy habits is worth reading:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/18/well/mind/how-to-build-healthy-habits.html
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,758 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    @themedalist , I’m glad to hear you’ve found a good place for your dad that suits him and that your mom will be at same place, even if not in same apartment. That sounds like the best set up for his situation. We’ve been able to move my BIL into a board and care home. It seems to be working out, but we are holding our breath since he has been pretty agitated and uncooperative.

I love the idea of focusing on little happy moments throughout the day. I need to check out that book by Hanson.

@MadisonMolly2017, I hear you about the frustration/overwhelm when trying something new. I run into that sewing. Yes, a good night’s sleep often helps or putting the thing your working on in “time out.”

@nebslp , I love what you said about the overwhelm leading to a break through. You are a wise woman. I can imagine being without your sewing machine, scary! 😳🥺. Actually, I keep putting off taking my machine in for that anxiety.

@scotthirons Welcome! Starting first thing in the morning is a great plan.

My goal has been going well! 😊

February 14 ✅🦆
    February 15 ✅🦆
    February 16 ✅🦆
    February 17 ✅🦆
    February 18 ✅🦆
    February 19 ✅🦆printed out March calendar
    February 20 ✅🦆
    February 21 ✅🦆I was very proud of my calendar when I went to the dentist.
    February 22✅🦆
    February 23 ✅🦆
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    2/23 manipulated compositions on iPhone & worked on bookmaking project
    2/24 ditto + some coloring book
    2/25 lots of art - studied texture video
    2/26 lots of art - experiments with supplies!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    How is everyone doing?

2/27 located & studied properties of different inks! Fascinating!

2/28 Mark-making studies & practice
    Also the universal means of some common shapes
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    Here it is the end of February. It seemed like a long month for me but I enjoyed being home much of the time. Congratulations to those of you who worked toward your goals, especially @77tes, @MadisonMolly2017, and @themedalist for working so faithfully. I was wondering about so many of the members who started out with us this month and hope you are doing well.
    Here's my wrap-up for the month.
    My main goal was to keep my calorie burn higher than my food intake. That involved logging food and checking my fitbit report, then recording the numbers. As usual, I hit only 50% of logging days but the information I was able to gather was insightful. I discovered that at least 90% of the time I recorded I was under my calorie burn but only about 200 calories. Good, and if I had been consistent throughout the month, I know I would have lost weight. As it is, 50% is not what I need to aim for and the difference needs to be greater, and the big one...I need to be consistent with my logging. I will have to kick up the activity a notch next month to get a 500 calorie deficit daily and lose some pounds. I had my cholesterol checked this month and it is very high, so I aim to do what I can to change that in March.

I have been playing my guitar faithfully every day that I have been able to and my knowledge and ability to play chords has been increasing. Now I've added learning notes and am having fun with that even though it's a struggle to remember which finger is supposed to do what from one day to the next!

Granddaughter's quilt has been delivered and she loves it. YAY! I have started working on the Quilts of Valor kit that I received and it's going together much faster than I dreamed it would.

Bedtime is a bit of a struggle yet. I only slept 4 hours last night so took a nap this afternoon. Now I'm not ready for bed so I'll be late tonight.

Also been spending time studying photography. Understanding the concepts is SUCH a struggle! Once in awhile I get a glimmer of hope but I need to actually practice what I've been learning to make it all make sense. I MUST do this!

Wrap-up complete. Good bye, February. Hello, (almost) Spring! See you over in March.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    I’m really happy that I chose this goal even though it is an easy one. Checking my calendar doesn’t come naturally yet, so it isn’t really a habit.

February 24 ✅🦆
    February 25 ✅🦆
    February 26 ✅🦆
    February 27 ✅🦆
    February 28 ✅🦆
    February 29 ✅🦆 March calendar is filling up fast .
  • themedalist
    Options
    Here it is the end of February. It seemed like a long month for me but I enjoyed being home much of the time. Congratulations to those of you who worked toward your goals, especially @77tes, @MadisonMolly2017, and @themedalist for working so faithfully. I was wondering about so many of the members who started out with us this month and hope you are doing well.
    My main goal was to keep my calorie burn higher than my food intake. That involved logging food and checking my fitbit report, then recording the numbers. As usual, I hit only 50% of logging days but the information I was able to gather was insightful. I discovered that at least 90% of the time I recorded I was under my calorie burn but only about 200 calories. Good, and if I had been consistent throughout the month, I know I would have lost weight. As it is, 50% is not what I need to aim for and the difference needs to be greater, and the big one...I need to be consistent with my logging. I will have to kick up the activity a notch next month to get a 500 calorie deficit daily and lose some pounds. I had my cholesterol checked this month and it is very high, so I aim to do what I can to change that in March.

I have been playing my guitar faithfully every day that I have been able to and my knowledge and ability to play chords has been increasing. Now I've added learning notes and am having fun with that even though it's a struggle to remember which finger is supposed to do what from one day to the next!

Granddaughter's quilt has been delivered and she loves it. YAY! I have started working on the Quilts of Valor kit that I received and it's going together much faster than I dreamed it would.

Bedtime is a bit of a struggle yet. I only slept 4 hours last night so took a nap this afternoon. Now I'm not ready for bed so I'll be late tonight.

Also been spending time studying photography. Understanding the concepts is SUCH a struggle! Once in awhile I get a glimmer of hope but I need to actually practice what I've been learning to make it all make sense. I MUST do this!

Wrap-up complete. Good bye, February. Hello, (almost) Spring! See you over in March.

@nebslp, so much that I love about your post! You’ve got great insight into what’s working well and what needs a bit more attention. That’s huge! It’s hard to make changes if we don’t know exactly what is changing.

It’s tough to be excited about food logging. I think of it like flossing my teeth. Pretty boring, but has a huge positive impact on health and is pretty quick to do.

I hope you get more sleep. Sleep improves everything.

And of course, I’m thrilled to hear you are playing your guitar! Your family will love it when you are leading the sing-alongs at your upcoming family gatherings.

• themedalist
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    I’m really happy that I chose this goal even though it is an easy one. Checking my calendar doesn’t come naturally yet, so it isn’t really a habit.

February 24 ✅🦆
    February 25 ✅🦆
    February 26 ✅🦆
    February 27 ✅🦆
    February 28 ✅🦆

Great job, @77tes, on your February goal! Woohoo!
  • themedalist
    Options
    Well, I probably made my February goal, to be in bed earlier each night, about 50% of the time. But that 50% of the time, I noticed that I definitely felt better the next day. So I’m going to keep making it a priority even if it doesn’t happen every night.

I’ll post the March thread very soon!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options

Thank you @nebslp

I know you can do this!
    I wanted to encourage you to stick with your 200 calorie deficit, and not feel you have to bump it higher.

If you make a 200 calorie deficit a habit, you’d lose 1.7-1.8 pounds a month, which adds up to 21 pounds by next March 1st.

We know losing 5% of your weight decreases your cholesterol lab numbers.

If you do a 100 calorie deficit, you’d lose 10.5 lbs by next March!!

When I do my calculations when I gain, it turns out to be 50 calories extra per day...1/2 a piece of toast. It’s the little things here or there that make a difference.

I’m very glad you are enjoying your guitar, quilting, & photography! Developing our interests, I feel, is a crucial part of weight loss & maintenance!

My best to you!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    77tes wrote: »

February 24 ✅🦆
    February 25 ✅🦆
    February 26 ✅🦆
    February 27 ✅🦆
    February 28 ✅🦆

Hey @77tes !
    I’m not sure it’s an easy one! You did an awesome job!!

Will you continue this I Will in March!

Best Wishes!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Well, I probably made my February goal, to be in bed earlier each night, about 50% of the time. But that 50% of the time, I noticed that I definitely felt better the next day. So I’m going to keep making it a priority even if it doesn’t happen every night.

I’ll post the March thread very soon!

Hi @themedalist !
    50% is awesome!! It’s hee Ed loftily time me to read you felt better the next day, too!

You are very inspiring!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options

2/29 learning tips to improve my mixed media work, such as if I write on a piece of tissue paper, adhere it, the words will seemingly float!!!

This challenge really helped me this month. I’m trying to make my maintenance eating & exercising more habit-based, so I have more time for my interests. I’m crafting a balanced life over time- or trying to :)

See y’all in March❣️
  • themedalist
    Options

Thank you @nebslp

I know you can do this!
    I wanted to encourage you to stick with your 200 calorie deficit, and not feel you have to bump it higher.

If you make a 200 calorie deficit a habit, you’d lose 1.7-1.8 pounds a month, which adds up to 21 pounds by next March 1st.

We know losing 5% of your weight decreases your cholesterol lab numbers.

If you do a 100 calorie deficit, you’d lose 10.5 lbs by next March!!

When I do my calculations when I gain, it turns out to be 50 calories extra per day...1/2 a piece of toast. It’s the little things here or there that make a difference.

I’m very glad you are enjoying your guitar, quilting, & photography! Developing our interests, I feel, is a crucial part of weight loss & maintenance!

My best to you!

such good advice! Thanks, @MadisonMolly2017!