Monthly Post February 2020

Options
13»

Replies

• Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,958 Member
    Options
    Good morning and happy Monday all!

@loulouowens welcome! So glad you found our little corner of the internet! You got great advice from the others here, hope everything goes smoothly for you!

@mamainthekitchen and @KateNkognito hope your weeks go well! @orlcam hi!! B)

@A_Dabauer I found when I was traveling for work last month that it was pretty easy to stick to my WOE. I found a lot of the food I didn't eat due to the high carb / sugar content so what I could eat was less... I did eat breakfast in the AM since I was worried that lunch and or dinner would not be fulfilling and honestly I was glad I did. You do what works best for you! :)

Sigh, no Jet Blue sale yet! LOLOL But you better believe I am keeping an eye out. :#

Things are good here. Sticking to Keto and 16:8 eating window from 1pm to 9pm give or take. Made a lovely dish in our new Instant Pot last night - chicken breasts, cauliflower, coconut milk, and curry seasoning. Came out fabulous and so easy! I think we made a good purchase and I am looking forward to all the yummy stuff we will be able to make!

See you guys soon!
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Darn it! I have tried to post three times and I keep losing it!
    Short version: I am doing great. I love more sunshine. Happy Monday. Happy fasting!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning all!

Hope you survived Monday okay! Tuesday is here. Same thing planned as yesterday, for me. Stick to my Keto WOE and eat meals between 1pm to 9pm. Drink lots of water, take my vitamins, etc.

Have a great day and see you all soon. B)
  • KateNkognito
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Pretty normal fast day. I *may* have had a couple of snack sized chocolates, though. :o Otherwise, pretty darned good. I cooked dinner again. What? I think the world would end if I did that for a third night in a row, so I will grab carry out tomorrow. :D Have a great rest of the week! Happy fasting!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning all!

LOL @KateNkognito It seems I am around snack sized chocolates all the time... I have a colleague who stocks the break areas in our office with them. :( Stay strong!

Things are good here. Sticking to my Keto WOE and drinking my water, vitamins, etc. All good.

Have a great day and see you all soon.
  • KateNkognito
    Options
    Today was... busy. That's a good word for it. :o Let's just say there were many tiny chocolates that were sacrificed (snacrificed?) to ensure that everyone made it out alive. Tomorrow is a fast day. I will stay strong. I have my salad packed and an emergency KIND bar if I need it.

@Meghan509 I admire your fortitude in standing strong against the chocolate. :)

Have a great second half of the week! Happy fasting!
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Haha ‘snacrificed’ ?????? Hahaha
    Love that Kate!!!
    And YES, Meghan, how DO you do it???? Sometimes I think I’m better saying no out in public, but not at home. It certainly doesn’t help if I’m shopping down the candy isle either!! I figure it’s cheaper if I buy a larger bag of wine gums, and convince myself they’ll look cute in a little dish on an end table.... then later while watching tv, I grab some... then well, you know where this is going! But how do you not buy it??? Argh !!
    Yesterday was my 31st wedding anniversary!! Being a rainy dull day (not like last year when it was full blue sky and we took that seaplane tour over the big city!!) so we headed to a cute little restaurant for appitizers and a glass of wine... nice being a quiet day we got the best table!
    Made an omelette this morning with bacon on the side for lunch then had coleslaw & chicken for dinner... other than the entire bag of wine gums, I did just fine! :s

Hope everyone else is staying strong! Have a good day!!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning all!

Thursday is here - almost Friday!! WOO HOO!

Too funny... Thank you both! Regarding your comment on how I do it. At home we have no "illegal" foods or sweets. Maybe a stray box or two of pasta up in the cabinet that we didn't want to toss, but otherwise nothing. Work is different of course, as mentioned previously.

Honestly, by not eating any sugar and less carbs and by following the Ketogenic Lifestyle I have ZERO CRAVINGS which for me is one of the best positives of the Keto WOE. Another positive is pretty much ZERO hunger. Two of the main things that have always derailed whatever WOE I was following in the past.

Yes, I do miss pizza and I miss baked goods. But, honestly no big deal. Feeling better, losing weight, and having zero to little inflammation is better for me. Last year at this time I was waking up in pain every day, dealing with hip pain, back pain, general blah feeling all the time. Physical Therapy for ten months! Now pretty much no pain.

Tomorrow is weigh in day for me and I am hoping I am down .8 or more because then that will mean I am back in the 160's. Let's goooo!!

Have a great day and see you all soon. :)
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning everybody!

Friday is here! Weigh in day for me. Down 1 pound, which brings me officially in to the 160's! WOO HOO! Really hoping to be some where in the 150's by my birthday, which is May 9.

Hope everybody is having a good week and has a good weekend. I'll see you all soon.
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    Awesome Meghan!!! Congratulations!!!
    I’m feeling a tad competitive.... haha as I too would like to be in the 150’s and your bday is as good a day as any!!! ;)

I’ll post a little later.... going back to bed!!! I’m a grown *kitten* woman who drank too much red wine last night... o m g !! >:)
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Welcome, @loulouowens! As the other ladies here have mentioned, make fasting work for your life, there is no "single" way to fast. For me personally the key thing that I try to achieve is keeping my insulin as low as possible as frequently as possible. Insulin is your fat-storage hormone, and keeping it low really aids in your weight loss efforts! While most of us are aware that insulin is raised when we eat carbs, all foods have an impact on insulin. So the key is to increase the length of time between eating (not reduce calories as most diets recommend). In a traditional alternate day fasting schedule or a 5:2 schedule, which it seems that you're describing, you'd eat 18:6 or 16:8 on your eating days. When in your eating window, you want to focus on eating a full meal and not snacking if possible. Again, this is just basic guidelines, lots of us follow many different methods and strategies. For myself, I look at my schedule for the week and then decide what method I'm using what days. I use everything from 18:6, one meal a day (OMAD), alternate-day fasting, all the way up to a single 100 or so hour fast in a week, depends on how I'm feeling or what's going on! Good luck and feel free to ask as many questions as you like!

So it's been a bit of a challenging week here. Not surprisingly, taking an antibiotic gave me nausea and the like, I had no energy and generally felt like crap all week. I added a probiotic into the mix and that has helped with the GI effects thankfully, but the week was mostly a write-off in the weight loss category. I floated 3-5 pounds above last week's low most of the week. All in all, considering how fast I've been losing prior to this, I'm not upset at a single week stall in the slightest, just a bit annoying. LOL! And then this morning, 24 hours after taking my last antibiotic, the scale found a new low again. Only half a pound lower than last week, but I'll take it!

Next week is going to be challenging for a whole other reason. I'm going to Vegas for a conference, so food choices will be limited unless you count alcohol as a food choice. 🤣🤣🤣 My plan is to fast on my travel days, and 18:6 or maybe even OMAD on the days I'm at the conference, I'm certainly aiming to balance fun with keeping on working that scale in a downward direction! In some ways, this will be a good test of the difference between fasting and my old normal. Other times I've travelled even being careful as I can with food choices invariably I put on at least a pound a day while I'm away, and then I would lose those pounds at a snail's pace on my return. It was so frustrating. In theory, anyway, keeping your insulin low overtime is supposed to help with resetting your leptin sensitivity. Leptin is the hormone that makes your weight loss rebound. So here's to seeing how I rebound or don't rebound. :neutral:
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Blonde moment here, I totally didn't realize there was a whole page of comments I missed!

Huge congratulations to @Meghan509 on hitting the 160's! I'm hoping to be there in a month or so myself! :smiley: However I've some significant numbers to pass in the 170's yet, you know those plateaus I never could ever pass in the past. *Fingers Crossed*

@mamainthekitchen I do similar to Meghan, regarding forbidden foods. Nothing is forbidden, but I don't buy the things I typically wouldn't eat. I seldom even go down the middle isles of the store, as that's where all the dry foods are, and I typically eat, whole unprocessed foods, which are all on the outside edges of the grocery store. :) Also like Meghan (we really might be twins) ;) I get a lot of pain and inflammation when eating those types of foods so it really makes such a big change to my health when I avoid them. I don't eat strict keto, just generally low carb, I will add some sweet potato for a treat, or I love sushi, so eat rice there on occasion too! Honestly, that's one of the things I like about fasting the most, is I have to choose "less" food to eat because I aim for close to 50% of my meals to now be fasts. :D
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    Thanks for the info @A_Dabauer and yes Meghan’s had amazing improvement with her inflammation by changing her diet! Oh and yes wine is a food group!!! Although judging by how I STILL feel, I’m going to omit that group for a while!! ;)

I’ve got a ton of housework here and it’s gorgeous outside!!! My daffodils are almost in full bloom!!
    Off to have a boiled egg and leftover ham.... then power through my chores!
    Have a great Saturday people!!