Leslie Sansone March 2020 Walk Challenge

Options
texasgardnr
texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
WELCOME to all walkers!

It is already March, 2020, and time to start a new monthly challenge! Spring is almost right around the corner, if not here already for some walkers! This is another extraordinarily awesome month for us to continue to walk together! There are still so many possibilities and opportunities for a healthy year, no matter what the first two months may have brought us so far this year. Every month is another opportunity because we are walking strong, not just for the current month, but hopefully for a lifetime.

Are the trees beginning to leaf out, or are tiny flowers or bulbs peeking up through the snow for you, because March is coming in like a lamb? Then getting outdoors to walk your miles will ensure that we won't miss any spring flowers or the beautiful budding trees as they begin to announce spring is finally here.
Or is the March lion peeking around the bushes ready to bring in yet more cold or snow? Either way walking outdoors is an important part of fitness walking, when possible, for those who enjoy walking some miles or minutes outdoors when possible. But either way, thankfully, having Leslie's, or other walking DVDs, to pop in the player continues to be a great alternative to walking outdoors and one of the main way that we get our walk on here.

This group is open to any and all walkers however you get your walk in. So come on in and join us!

Whenever you are posting what you have accomplished please remember to also share any strength training or other types of workouts that you are doing. We all benefit greatly by learning from one another and getting new ideas.

The goal that you choose is your own personal goal for this month 👟📅 , so change it up however you would like to.

If you find this group in the middle of the month it truly doesn't matter which day of the month that you join in. Just set your goals to reflect what you hope to accomplish during the remaining days of this month. It is never too late to join in :) , you are always welcome!

Let's tie up our shoes and get some water, and start walking with a smile 😅 this month.

Walk, walk, walk,

texasgardnr :flowerforyou:

Replies

• zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    February was a disaster, but the flu is over and I have to get back into a workout routine! Since March is going to be very busy with the VA, getting our house ready to pack up for the move, spring break, traveling and well I do have a full-time job, :laugh: I am going to walk or strength train 30 minutes each day over and above the Garmin tracking. For Leslie, that is about 2 miles. I can convince myself to do anything for 30 minutes, but right now, 2 miles just sounds daunting.

March Goal: 30 minutes a day of work out walking/strength (i.e. not the Garmin only) Hopefully this plan will help me meet my yearly challenge of 110+miles & 4 strength workouts each month, which I sure did not manage last month! :grumble: On to March as I am leaving February in the rear view mirror this year!!! :explode:
  • Deeder522
    Deeder522 Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I'm with you @zichab!

Anyone giving up anything for Lent or doing something in honor of Lent??

March Goals:
    Miles Tracked: 70
    Apple Watch: 2 workouts of 15mins or more.
    Side Goal: Make it the whole month taking my new vitamin combo packs.
    Lent Goal: Drastically reduce sugar intake, specifically HFCS
  • zichab
    Options
    March Goal: 30 minutes a day of work out walking/strength (i.e. not the Garmin only) Hopefully this plan will help me meet my yearly challenge of 110+miles & 4 strength workouts each month.

3/1-Just Walk-Walk Off Fat Fast-2 miles=2 miles total

Giving up something for Lent was not a tradition in my church (United Methodist) as a child so I have not done it as an adult. However, I am working on a Dry March Challenge along with my 30 minute workout challenge so maybe I'll count that! So far one day down! :laugh:

Walk Strong @Deeder522! :bigsmile:

• Deeder522
    Options
    zichab wrote: »
    Giving up something for Lent was not a tradition in my church (United Methodist) as a child so I have not done it as an adult. However, I am working on a Dry March Challenge along with my 30 minute workout challenge so maybe I'll count that! So far one day down! :laugh:

Walk Strong @Deeder522! :bigsmile:

Me either, I was raised CRC. I've found as, an adult, changing habits during Lent makes it more acceptable and easier to explain.
  • zichab
    Options
    March Goal: 30 minutes a day of work out walking/strength (i.e. not the Garmin only) Hopefully this plan will help me meet my yearly challenge of 110+miles & 4 strength workouts each month.

-Vivofit tracked 2.5 miles=4.5 miles total
    3/2-WAH 2 Mile Power Walk-2 miles=6.5 miles total

@Deeder522- Oh my gosh, CRC is a breakaway church from the Dutch Reform and my whole family is Dutch reformed. My mother was United Methodist so we were the only ones in my father's family who were not Dutch Reform. However, this is a good idea as I have a couple of work things to go to this month and I usually have a glass of wine, so now I can say I gave it up for Lent!!! I never thought of that to be honest. I am two days into March and am on a roll! :laugh:

Walk Strong! :bigsmile:
  • monikawalia06
    monikawalia06 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello, I need some help. Can someone guide me how can I create a routine using leslie's workout videos to loose weight? I intend to loose close to 35 kgs in the span of 6 to 8 months. Are Leslie's workout enough to achieve this goal and maintain thereafter or do I need to do something else too (other than eating clean) ? I don't want to go to gym. Hate it. Any help is appreciated 🙂
  • Deeder522
    Options
    @monikawalia06 Hello and welcome. I think we can help you come up with a schedule. What access to her videos do you have? DVD's, the Walk App, YouTube, maybe a combination of those. Leslie has a couple of sets of videos that give a schedule to follow. Her Miracle Miles 5 disc set has a calendar that lays out nearly a full year of walks. She's has a few 6 weeks walks laid out on YouTube too.

Weight loss and management is mostly food management. I highly recommend logging all your food into MyFitnessPal to help watch what you eat. Also, don't forget to up your water intake too.

Glad your here, we look forward to walking with you in this journey.
  • Deeder522
    Options
    @Deeder522- Oh my gosh, CRC is a breakaway church from the Dutch Reform and my whole family is Dutch reformed. My mother was United Methodist so we were the only ones in my father's family who were not Dutch Reform. However, this is a good idea as I have a couple of work things to go to this month and I usually have a glass of wine, so now I can say I gave it up for Lent!!! I never thought of that to be honest. I am two days into March and am on a roll! :laugh:

Walk Strong! :bigsmile:

Hey, if you're not Dutch you're not much. ;)
  • monikawalia06
    Options
    Dear
    Deeder522 wrote: »
    @monikawalia06 Hello and welcome. I think we can help you come up with a schedule. What access to her videos do you have? DVD's, the Walk App, YouTube, maybe a combination of those. Leslie has a couple of sets of videos that give a schedule to follow. Her Miracle Miles 5 disc set has a calendar that lays out nearly a full year of walks. She's has a few 6 weeks walks laid out on YouTube too.

Weight loss and management is mostly food management. I highly recommend logging all your food into MyFitnessPal to help watch what you eat. Also, don't forget to up your water intake too.

Glad your here, we look forward to walking with you in this journey.

Dear @Deeder522 : Many thanks for your prompt response. Her DVDs are very pricey in India, therefore I use YouTube to access her videos. I will try to be very regular in maintaining my food diary on MFP. I will look into the videos you mentioned to make a work out plan. Will keep you guys posted and messaging for more information ! Thank you
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    @monikawalia06

Hello! Glad you joined us.

I completely agree with Deeder's response to you questions.

I don't like going to a gym either. I work at home using DVD's and youtube and HasFit. (HasFit, like Leslie has lot's of workout schedules to choose from. They used to all be free, but now quite a few of them have to be purchased. :/ but you might still find some that are free. They have very good strength workouts.

HTH
  • AnnofB
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Deeder522 wrote: »

Anyone giving up anything for Lent or doing something in honor of Lent??

March Goals:
    Miles Tracked: 70
    Apple Watch: 2 workouts of 15mins or more.
    Side Goal: Make it the whole month taking my new vitamin combo packs.
    Lent Goal: Drastically reduce sugar intake, specifically HFCS

DH gave up soft drinks. I joined him in that a few weeks ago. I want to reduce my sugar intake too! It's crazy how many things have it now!
  • AnnofB
    Options
    March goal: 7 miles a week and 2 strength workouts a week.

3/1....Rest day
    3/2....Strength & Stamina and Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga
    3/3....34 minutes of Walk Off Fat Fast - 2 miles, I think
    3/4....55 minutes of light weights, upper body, lower and abs; Burn to the Beat 1 mile
  • monikawalia06
    Options
    Here is my March log. Wish me luck ! Need to make this a lifelong habit
    3/1 - Rest
    3/2 - 45 minutes leslie walk from YouTube
    3/3 - 2 miles walk video from YouTube
    4/3 - 45 minutes, 3 miles walk from YouTube
  • AnnofB
    Options
    @monikawalia06

You are off to a great start, this month! :)
  • zichab
    Options

-Vivofit tracked 2.9 miles=4.9 miles total
    3/2-WAH 2 Mile Power Walk-2 miles=6.9 miles total
    -Vivofit tracked 2.4 miles=9.3 miles total
    3/3- Rest Day-Vivofit tracked 4.3 miles=13.6 miles total
    3/4-Just Walk-Burn 30 Workout-2 miles=15.6 miles total

@monikawalia06 - I also concur with @deeder522 and @AnnofB-I lost 100 pounds just tracking my calories as MFP directed and walking with Leslie and some walks outside in good weather. The real key is watching those calories as closely as you can because they are tricky little things! A few over and you gain a pound you do not want. :grumble: The other thing you should know is that you will not lose weight every week, so do not get discouraged. That was the hardest part for me. There are other weeks though where you will lose 2.5 pounds in the week so it all averages out. Just be ready for that to happen. Keep logging on MFP and here and you will lose it.

@Deeder522 -Thankfully I am Dutch! Since my children and grandchildren live in Netherlands, it is a very fortunate thing is it not???? :laugh:

@AnnofB There is sugar in everything!!!! Bread has sugar in it for heaven's sake. I bake bread and there is no need to put sugar in it!!! I have been a label reader for a long time because my DH has high BP so sodium is our enemy. I began to notice that when something said "Low Sodium" the sugar grams were higher. We got really savvy about choosing things that did not have sugar or I made it myself. Giving up sugar for lower sodium though means cooking a lot more from scratch, but he is worth it. :heart:

Long work day tomorrow! :tired_face:

Walk Strong Everyone! :bigsmile:
  • monikawalia06
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement. I have some queries with regards to my workout.

What do you think is the better option:
    1. Incorporating strength training once my body gets comfortable with leslie's workout? That is when my flexibility and stamina is better OR

2. I should begin strength training straightaway for weight loss? Somehow I find that bit daunting

@AnnofB: Many thanks for sharing info on Hasfit. Checked their website. Looks promising !
  • monikawalia06
    Options

-Vivofit tracked 2.9 miles=4.9 miles total
    3/2-WAH 2 Mile Power Walk-2 miles=6.9 miles total
    -Vivofit tracked 2.4 miles=9.3 miles total
    3/3- Rest Day-Vivofit tracked 4.3 miles=13.6 miles total
    3/4-Just Walk-Burn 30 Workout-2 miles=15.6 miles total

@monikawalia06 - I also concur with @deeder522 and @AnnofB-I lost 100 pounds just tracking my calories as MFP directed and walking with Leslie and some walks outside in good weather. The real key is watching those calories as closely as you can because they are tricky little things! A few over and you gain a pound you do not want. :grumble: The other thing you should know is that you will not lose weight every week, so do not get discouraged. That was the hardest part for me. There are other weeks though where you will lose 2.5 pounds in the week so it all averages out. Just be ready for that to happen. Keep logging on MFP and here and you will lose it.

@Deeder522 -Thankfully I am Dutch! Since my children and grandchildren live in Netherlands, it is a very fortunate thing is it not???? :laugh:

@AnnofB There is sugar in everything!!!! Bread has sugar in it for heaven's sake. I bake bread and there is no need to put sugar in it!!! I have been a label reader for a long time because my DH has high BP so sodium is our enemy. I began to notice that when something said "Low Sodium" the sugar grams were higher. We got really savvy about choosing things that did not have sugar or I made it myself. Giving up sugar for lower sodium though means cooking a lot more from scratch, but he is worth it. :heart:

@Zichab: did you face any issues with loose skin or toning/cellulite after loosing 100 pounds? Any advice on how to ensure minimal skin sag?
  • monikawalia06
    Options
    Here is my March log. Wish me luck ! Need to make this a lifelong habit
    3/1 - Rest
    3/2 - 45 minutes leslie walk from YouTube
    3/3 - 2 miles walk video from YouTube
    4/3 - 45 minutes, 3 miles walk from YouTube

3/5 - Walk off fat fast 2 miles from YouTube
  • AnnofB
    Options
    March goal: 7 miles a week and 2 strength workouts a week.

3/1....Rest day
    3/2....Strength & Stamina and Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga
    3/3....34 minutes of Walk Off Fat Fast - 2 miles, I think
    3/4....55 minutes of light weights, upper body, lower and abs; Burn to the Beat 1 mile
    3/5....2 miles of The 4 Mile Super Challenge
  • AnnofB
    Options

Same here with the label reading and being amazed at what now has sugar in it. We used to subscribe to Mother Earth mag and one particular month featured how to make bread. I need to find that issue on the whole collection CD we bought. I read something lately that pointed out that sugar has become enemy number one now instead of salt. I believe it. 😯