Chapter One

Options
MichPainter
MichPainter Posts: 26 Member
When I read the book the first time, it was a lot to take in. I highlighted, used little page flags to mark areas I wanted to come back to, and tried to soak in all the information. I am going to read the book again, chapter by chapter, cover to cover, and this is where we can discuss our thoughts on each chapter as we go. Let's get started!

Replies

• Shellight
    Shellight Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Excellent. I bought the book today and the audiobook yesterday. will get right into chapter 1. I picked up spices, vinegar, b12 and the yeast. I also bought the cookbook How not to die cook book. It looks like it will be a good one.
  • Shellight
    Options
    I listened to the whole chapter 1 today. It was really informative and eye opening in so many ways. I never realized how targeted we are & the children of this generation by advertising and how the stores display things. It was also shocking that when he talked about vitamins from walmart ect not even having what was on the label but dangerous stuff in them. I bought my b12 from the health store today. do you take vitamins? I am suppose to be taking calcium and D my doctor wants me too but I rarely do. I think I will buy a higher quality calcium and D one than the one I currently have. It was also very interesting learning about the amazing effects diet can have on preexisting health conditions. I want to improve my cholesterol level and prevent osteoporosis. I learned my healthy weight should be 128-140 and my waist should be under 31.5 inches. I measured my waist the other day at it was 33. I have drinking the 2 glasses of water before eating and I haven't had cravings and feel satisfied.
  • MichPainter
    Options
    I take a B12 supplement twice a week - Dr. Greger just came out with new recommendations on how much to take each week, so I adjusted to take less than I was previously. I also take D and a plant based Omega 3, Turmeric and that's pretty much it. I'm not consistent either - but I try to at least get my B12 and D in a couple times a week. I think my healthy weight is in the mid 140s. My goal is 142 - my waist is 34, so I need to get that under control. Having had 5 kids and being 54 years old now makes the work all the more difficult. But I feel pretty healthy because I also try to hit as many of the Daily Dozen as I can, and now have incorporated the tweaks into my diet as well.
  • Shellight
    Options
    Wow 5 kids do you still have any children at home? I have 1 at home and 1 who lives away. I listened to a bite more of the book last night. It solidified the harmful things in the seafood, milk and meat and the many benefits of fibre. Does your family eat plant based along with you? My hubby is picky but both of my kids will eat anything I make for them. Both are health conscious.
  • cparsons_60
    cparsons_60 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hello, my brother received this book for Christmas and I looked through it then. I've had it in mind to buy the book and read it, and finally ordered it today. It arrives on Tuesday. I look forward to reading and discussing it together.
  • MichPainter
    Options
    I apologize for setting up this group and then not following through with posts. I work in education and my job has gotten consumed with meetings and planning for shut downs and just a ton of other stuff. I'm sure everyone is feeling the same way!

That said - if everyone ate a plant based diet, we wouldn't be dealing with these viruses. Dr. Greger has a very informative video that he made 10 years on why these viruses get started (promise the link isn't spam or click bait!)
    https://youtu.be/7_ppXSABYLY

Anyway, now more than ever we need to adopt a healthy, plant based diet. Build your immune system with tons of fruits and veggies so if, God forbid, this virus touches you or your families - you will have the ability to fight it off naturally.

Best to all!
  • MichPainter
    Options
    I'm hoping to get this group restarted. I've begun reading Chapter 1 again and will post my thoughts on stuff that I think is meaningful, different than the usual stuff, worth mentioning, etc. I hope folks will join in the conversation with me!
  • MichPainter
    Options
    I know it's just me here right now, but I'm going to keep posting and see if I can revive the group (that's my plan anyway - let's see what life brings). I completed Chapter 1 (again) and although it was re-reading stuff I already know I totally enjoyed Dr. G.'s sense of humor and perfect puns that he weaves throughout the tons of information he passes on to us. A couple things that resonated with me personally included what he wrote on page 29-30 about being driven by distraction and passive overconsumption. He wrote about us liking to think we are in control, but our conscious can only process purposeful information a little at a time, so it is our unconscious parts of our brain that guide our actions up to 95% of the time. This makes me think of those time when I feel such a lack of willpower - those days at work where, even after eating my lunch, I go back into the breakroom to grab some junk food, even though I fully and completely have no intentions that day of eating anything but what I have planned out on MFP. I've referred to this absent minded eating as amnesia before, because it's as if I am doing things without my own knowledge and permission. I lose at my own internal arguments, or I just grab the junk food like a mindless zombie. Hubby is up - more later!