Corronavirus Thread.

Options
88olds
88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
How’s GoaD handling this?

I may be staying in. I have an appointment at the gym tomorrow. Unsure as to what to do.

Replies

• cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,863 Member
    Options
    don't know exactly what to do here, may choose to walk around the neighborhood instead of going to the gym. Maybe sign up for 1 of the grocery delivery services of some kind, Still going out to dinner with friends tonight though, what else is there?
  • 88olds
    Options
    @cakeman21k What else indeed?

I walked in the park yesterday and did upper body with what I had at home. Looks like more park walking today. Lunch at home.

Publix will bring the groceries for a price.

There’s almost 2M people in our county. 3 reported cases.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    I had my appointments for Dentist, Vet, ENT, haircut, car inspection, tax preparer on hold due to surgery 22 January! Now THIS, not a happy camper.

Still not fully mobile, PT but slow recovery with my leg/foot.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I'm still doing "community" things (mostly going to synagogue and related events--note that Purim starts tonight), but am doing my best to follow best practice guidelines (no handshakes, wash hands frequently, avoid touching face, avoid touching shared items, etc.).

With that said, I have/had three business trips coming up, but it's likely they'll all be cancelled. It doesn't make a lot of sense to have face-to-face meetings right now when we can do much of our shared work via webinar.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    We had a mandatory meeting Friday about the university's contingency plans in the event that the county health department orders campus closed. Spring break is next week. I fear the odds are high that someone will bring something back from their travels. Thus far no reported cases in our county (western suburbs) but they are starting to slowly pop up in the Chicago metropolitan area.

Signs were up at the fitness center this morning about not coming in if you have any upper respiratory symptoms. I'm most worried about the residents here at the retirement community. The flu outbreak in 2006 did result in 2 deaths and a lot of very sick people.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,204 Member
    Options
    Our company is limiting travel. Talking about having folks work from home if the situation warrants it.

I am doing normal stuff - just washing my hands and using hand sanitizer. Except for the grocery store, I don't general do "crowd" stuff anyway.

Had two doctor appts in the last week. Handwashing deluxe.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,536 Member
    Options
    I am just taking care of normal business, but I am retired, so mostly that is shopping and volunteering. A Korean ESL student I tutor has suspended our weekly sessions after canceling 2 weeks in a row. She is scared about meeting at the library or about going out too much. I have a back procedure today. They have added a virus screening questionnaire to the check-in process. But beside washing my hands longer and trying to follow the CDC guidelines. I will be making some hand sanitizer to keep in my car. There is none to be found around here.
  • 88olds
    Options
    Day 2 of self isolation. Cancelled personal training for today. Walked in the park yesterday. Going back today. It’s the only reason I have to get out of my PJs.
  • steve0mania
    Options
    The university just cancelled travel and face-to-face classes. I'm now waiting to see if the hospital follows suit.

I was at a Purim event last night (megillah reading and services). They asked everyone to wash their hands upon entering the building, and asked anyone who was feeling even a little bit ill to stay home. There are some religious issues with this (we are commanded to hear the megillah reading--generally that means in-person, but there are leniencues in times of emergency).

All three of the business meetings I was supposed to attend have been cancelled.

A friend of mine is in self-quarantine due to contact with a known case of coronavirus.

Whee.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    As an introvert, I've been training for this my whole life. :) I do have an appointment for a haircut this afternoon. When I called to make an appointment, she did ask if I had any "cold symptoms".

Other than that, it's pretty much life as usual. There IS an advantage to living in a very small town in a beach area. Had this happened during the on-season, I would have been a little more concerned with the influx of people from out of the area.

Yesterday I got an email from my doctor's office asking that any patients who needed to be seen call ahead and let them know the symptoms before coming in so they could determine whether you should come in or not.

We (the state of NC) got a whopping big 300 test kits <sigh>
  • 88olds
    Options
    As an introvert, I've been training for this my whole life. :) >

Love it. I can do this self isolation thing for a week, maybe two. But I’m cutting back on things that keep me sane. An already delicate balance.

I’m putting off hair cut, dentist, massage, personal trainer, and skipping Tai Chi class and not going to the gym. But walking in the park is an ok gym substitute.

And for what? On Friday DW has surgery. Am I going to wear a hazmat suit to the hospital? I think not.

Also not eating out. Maybe pay for a trip to Italy with the money I save.

And this- as someone pointed out in a FB discussion- all of life has risks and trade offs. I’m planning to get my bike on the road to add to my exercise options. So I avoid the gym by getting hit by a car. On thing leads to another.

Maybe it’s better to just do my routine and stick to the hand washing etc.
  • steve0mania
    Options
    I'm on a committee that has to make decisions for an organization, so I've gotten to think about this a lot lately, and how best to balance safety and hysteria.

Simply stated, many communities will have (or already have) coronavirus running around in them. The primary goal right now is to minimize transmission to the extent possible. Many, but not all, young(er) folks will be fine if they become infected, but many (but not all) older/sicker individuals will become severely ill.

My viewpoint has changed a bit. Instead of worrying primarily about myself, I've been thinking a lot more about how we best protect our more vulnerable population elements.

As such, many of my own approaches (and those we're developing for our organizations) are geared at protecting the vulnerable, and avoiding a serious exponential increases in cases and illness in our local community. Local hospitals and health care have a limited capacity to manage the sickest patients. There are only so many ICU beds and ventilators!

So, we work to limit spread. The basic recommendations have been broadly transmitted: good and frequent hand-washing, avoid direct contact with people (i.e., no more handshaking!), avoid touching your own face, maintain "social-distance" (at least 3 feet, as that seems to be the WHO recommendation for how far a droplet travels when you sneeze--although I feel like I've also heard 6 feet somewhere), wipe down potentially contaminated surfaces with an approved agent (the EPA has a list on their website).

In addition, we're in the process of moving get-togethers that can't be cancelled (such as daily prayer services) to larger rooms to encourage greater distance between participants. We're cancelling get-togethers that aren't absolutely required. We're asking everyone to wash hands upon entering the building, and we're keeping internal doors open where possible (to avoid having everyone touching door-knobs, etc.), and the staff is wiping down surfaces a couple of times a day.

My own job (at an academic hospital) has cancelled all work-related travel unless absolutely necessary, and we've cancelled "large" meetings (that would normally occur in one of the auditoriums). The University has cancelled face-to-face classes and most non-essential meetings.

While some of this may seem overboard, the consequences of a severe event are significant. No one wants a repeat of the New Rochelle situation: (as I understand it), one infected person went to a bar mitzvah and transmitted the virus into a community that had a number of additional gatherings.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,080 Member
    Options
    Like Cindy I am pretty much an introvert.
    •Sad travel story for our grandson who is suppose to graduate in May from St John's in New York. he was home for spring break and returning to New York on Monday. They had already prevented study abroad students from say Italy from going straight to campus. He checked his phone constantly for messages while in line to board the plane from Portland OR to New York. In mid flight they canceled all classes for at least a month and he had about 24 hours to vacate his dorm room taking the books he needed. His mom got him a return flight Tuesday mid day and he packed up an extra suitcase with text books etc. He set up home office at home.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Been home recovering from Heart Valve surgery since Tuesday 3/3/20 with some complications. DW and I had to return to our Heart Ctr North Ga Hospital Gainesville Ga the very morning the news reported we had our 1st reported person in the ER with symptoms. Turns out they were negative to Corona. Getting back out to Heart Ctr for one week surgery follow up tomorrow 3/12.
    May cancel that one only because I went in Monday and escaped hospitalization and surgery. I'm dealing with swelling and bleeding along with aneurisms and something else.
    Staying put at home for now. Doctor has me down for 3 weeks.
  • 88olds
    Options
    There’s the illness- scary. And now the panic- more scary I think.

I’m becoming a park walking regular. I get a nod of recognition here and there. Yesterday I recognized a woman from the cardio area of the gym walking outside.

Gotta remember to take my phone to get a step count for the big loop. I
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,204 Member
    Options
    Want to make your own hand sanitizer?

https://www.wired.com/story/how-to-make-hand-sanitizer/
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,863 Member
    Options
    We are on a 4 day trip to Boston for a family wedding, the good news is there is less traffic on the road at least through DC Baltimore and Philadelphia between schools closing and people telecomutting It makes the drive less offensive than I have had in the past. Also fewer people at the rest stops and resturaunts!
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Our university is switching to being a virtual campus after spring break next week. All non-essential staff are to work from home starting on Monday. All events have been cancelled. All travel is cancelled. And there was a lot of panic buying at the stores yesterday which made the local news.

It is conceivable that this will go on long enough to force the cancellation of commencement in early May. I really feel for our students whose lives and academic careers are being so disrupted. But I also understand that we need to take measures to reduce the stress on our health care system in order to be able to save lives.

I leave tomorrow morning for a much more rural part of the state. The friends I'm visiting are outdoorsy types and crowd-adverse like me. I need to be out in nature to get away from all the stress. There will be bike riding and hiking along with nature photography.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,937 Member
    Options
    Our university is switching to being a virtual campus after spring break next week. All non-essential staff are to work from home starting on Monday. All events have been cancelled. All travel is cancelled. And there was a lot of panic buying at the stores yesterday which made the local news.

cvvbypmtgn5d.jpg

• steve0mania
    Options
    Well, one of my kids' colleges has extended spring break by three weeks, and will have some period of virtual learning. Unfortunately, they haven't provided enough clarity to know whether they will move back to class-based learning, or just stay virtual through the rest of the semester. This has a big impact on whether my kiddo should pack up everything for spring break, or just take the essentials home.

My other kiddo's college has declared the rest of the semester will be on-line.

My third kiddo's (out of state) high-school continues to "monitor the situation." I'm fine with that, but it's making it a little challenging to figure out who needs to be where and when!

I guess we just have to learn to live in a state of uncertainty!