Do you follow a diet plan besides CICO?

Options
I've been doing some research (not weight loss related) about how a low-carb diet can have some great benefits for those of us with TBI/RHI symptoms. While all my "bumps" are older (most recent was 2013), I have some mild side effects - they don't control my life, but they do affect it.

I've done a paleo diet for a time in the past - I didn't find that too hard to live with other than my budget at the time simply couldn't support it. That isn't much of a concern anymore, and while I'm doing a little more research, I'm seriously considering going back to that and seeing if it makes a difference - not like it's going to hurt anything!

I couldn't deal with full on keto (far too restrictive for me), and since none of my injuries are "new" there's really not much point in trying to put myself through that considering what I am, and am not, willing to "give up."

Just wondering if anyone is following any other specialized diets, and if so, your reasons for doing so. Figured we may able to share research and recipe ideas that take specialized needs into consideration.

Replies

• Ecosse2018
    Ecosse2018 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Low carb has worked for me too. CICO just didn’t!! I only have 10 lbs to lose so being patient, determined and I will get there. 🌝
  • ku140
    ku140 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I dont have a specific diet, but I do focus on getting more protein in my day and to take out the excess carbs
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I did use low carb to help with my loss a few years ago, but the second I began putting carbs back in my diet, the weight rolled right back on again. And doing further research, it seems that any diet that restricts one of the macros, while helping with weight loss also seems to lower you life expectancy if you follow it long term. I'm in this for the marathon, not the sprint. ;)
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,973 Member
    Options
    poisonesse wrote: »
    I did use low carb to help with my loss a few years ago, but the second I began putting carbs back in my diet, the weight rolled right back on again. And doing further research, it seems that any diet that restricts one of the macros, while helping with weight loss also seems to lower you life expectancy if you follow it long term. I'm in this for the marathon, not the sprint. ;)

Ya, I couldn't do it for the weight loss - not worth it. Helping with my TBI problems, however, would be worth it. It's still early, but anecdotally, it seems like there have been improvements already - need to give it more time to be sure it's the change and not just a fluke, but if it helps, it would be worth it for me - but wouldn't be something I could just "go back" to eating how I used to.
  • FrankieandSpots
    FrankieandSpots Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I try to stay low-ish carb.
    Too many carbs make me want to eat everything.
    I try to stay roughly near the macro goals of 25% carbs, 60% fat and 15% protein - carbs and protein usually end up being a couple of percentage points higher than that.
    I like to get at least 80-90g of protein and 25g of fibre and usually exceed those.

When I've reached my goal I like the idea of experimenting with eating less protein, since it seems to be the most expensive macronutrient (and therefore more carbon/environmentally costly) and there is some evidence that I'm not quite sure I believe about animal proteins being linked to shorter lifespans.

And I'd like to grow/hunt/make more of my food or buy it locally. We're doing pretty well in that and I've been buying bulk organic oats/polenta grown in the state (but not super close).
    Mostly more expensive, but I think it's worth it to me.
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    And I'd like to grow/hunt/make more of my food or buy it locally. We're doing pretty well in that and I've been buying bulk organic oats/polenta grown in the state (but not super close).

I like your thinking, we try this as well at home.
    I couldn't hunt myself, but I live in a rural community and although I don't eat a lot of meat, I would prefer it from an animal that has spent its life in the woods as opposed to a meat factory. So when hunters bring us some game, I will always accept it, clean it (thank you youtube!) and eat it.

• cayenne_007
    cayenne_007 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Antiopelle wrote: »

I like your thinking, we try this as well at home.
    I couldn't hunt myself, but I live in a rural community and although I don't eat a lot of meat, I would prefer it from an animal that has spent its life in the woods as opposed to a meat factory. So when hunters bring us some game, I will always accept it, clean it (thank you youtube!) and eat it.

We do eat grass fed beef that we had processed locally. It's funny how much leaner it is than anything I've bought in a store. I try to use as many fresh veggies as possible - I think eating so many over processed foods is one of the things that causes so many health issues.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,973 Member
    Options
    We do eat grass fed beef that we had processed locally. It's funny how much leaner it is than anything I've bought in a store. I try to use as many fresh veggies as possible - I think eating so many over processed foods is one of the things that causes so many health issues.

I've done local CSA's in the past for both meats and veggies. The flavor, texture, and colors are so different than what you find in the grocery store!!
  • FrankieandSpots
    FrankieandSpots Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    We get a vegetable CSA now, our veggie man buys things from other farmers as well so we get cool things like avocados and tomatoes out of (our) season.
    I've recently left 'poor-uni-student' status and I love being able to spend more money on nice food.
    I'm kind of amazed at how much I CAN spend on food if I'm not careful (nice cheese being one of the bigger expenses :blush: )
  • lhorne2
    lhorne2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have been following a Flexible Dieting Lifestyle (counting macros) for about the past 6 weeks. It really is CICO but its more involved. Right now I weigh EVERYTHING on a food scale but I meal prep most everything so I do it all on Sunday morning. Learning more and more about it on a variety of podcasts. I have lost about 6 lbs. Im 5' 1" and now weigh 127 (I was up to 133), I was on and off with the 21 day fix containers but eventually found them too restrictive and unrealistic as a way to maintain once I lost. I kept gaining back the same stupid 8 lbs that I would lose using the container plan. On flex dieting- I follow an 80-20 rule (80% of my food is whole "clean food--ie meat, dairy and produce- extremely low amount of processed food). I usually leave room for a little snack in the evening. Vey very easy to adhere to. Went out last night and had two drinks (vodka and soda-lol). Still stayed within my calorie range (1550). . My macronutrients are set at protein 30%, and 35% each for fats and carbs. You can set them however it works for you. So far- I think this lifestyle will be easy to adhere to - no food is looked at as bad or good. Some people follow Flexible Dieting using a lot of junk food and can still lose (IIFYM). Im not doing that - I limit my junk food to a daily treat if there is room. Last night Halo Top choc Ice cream with Toroni Dark chocolate syrup! Oh- and those two cocktails I had!!
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm on Liberal Low Carb Diet.I eat up to 100g each of carbs and protein per day . I eat a lot of vegetables and some fruits too.After I lose 10 lb , I will increase carbs to 150 g a day and see if I can maintain my weight.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing IF, mostly because my medications and supplements all seem to require that I take them "on an empty stomach" but also "never with that other med that you also take on an empty stomach."

>_<

I'm trying to maintain over 100g protein per day (though, ideally around 130g), and only a 250 cal/day deficit, but some days my step count gets a little out of hand and I end up with slightly steeper deficits.

I try to avoid xenoestrogen sources like soy and certain plastics that do not go well with my thyroid replacement, and pursue organic produce as often as I can afford it.
  • ShredWeek1
    ShredWeek1 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I find it is easier for me to eliminate than to balance. I don't eat meat/fish/poultry, my dairy is skim milk in an occasional Starbucks latte or some Halo once a week. By and large, I don't eat sweets. I have a dessert once a month, and my favorite dessert is pie. With all these eliminations you'd think that I was slim, but I still have to work at my weight...I love breads, salty snacks (including nuts), protein bars...foods which are highly processed and calorie concentrated and which I can eat to the point of discomfort. My "eating plan" is to eliminate these foods and to focus on unprocessed foods as much as I can.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing IF, mostly because my medications and supplements all seem to require that I take them "on an empty stomach" but also "never with that other med that you also take on an empty stomach."

>_<
    Yeah, this....for me too. Two different meds that must NOT be taken with food or within 1 hour of each other. So generally 'breakfast' is at 3 or 4 pm because I'm a night worker in Security/Policing.