March Mindfulness Challenge 2020

Replies

• supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    3/17

Yes, this virus is causing an abrupt change in our life style. Did go to coffee shop on Sunday with one friend. Stayed to ourselves in a corner. Shop fairly empty. Will visit with one friend today and just socialize with a decent distance between us. I need some minimum amount of socialization besides texting for my MENTAL health but will limit it to one or two people at a time. We have no known cases in our county but that can change at any time.

My plan of mindful eating (when hungry and in moderate portions) seems to be working. Of course, it is harder with all the media focusing on only one topic, but I feel it is a good test of my resolve.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    We're not too disrupted. We homeschool and DH already works remotely 90%. But church, soccer, and high school classes at our homeschool co-op are out. My high school senior is very involved in volunteer work. She functions best mentally when she's busy and she is completely cut-off now. She can also be a bit of a nightmare when she's bored.

I personally am sticking with my efforts to be mindful, which includes me trying not to lose all my marbles.
  • vkrenz
    vkrenz Posts: 183 Member
    Check in for March 16

Yes, everyone be safe out there. Hand washing, sanitizer, and appropriate social distancing. Our church is not cancelled yet but I'm anticipating it will be. There have been no positive cases in our tri-county area yet in southern Wisconsin.

1. Mindful exercise daily. I mustarded up the motivation to go out after work for a 3 mile walk/jog. Did great once I got out there. Too busy at work to walk on the treadmill.
    2. Low carb, < 35 daily. Very good, back at it after going way over on Sunday.
    3. Calorie deficit, <1,500 daily. Very under
    4. Get rid of 5 lbs by 3/31. Doing well.

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    My con that I was using as my primary motivation to trim up some fluff is now officially delayed indefinitely.

Very sad...

I'm digging for some more motivation, and having trouble finding any...at least I'm still going to work every day, though most of the office is working remotely so it's quiet. I can do this...if only because I'm stubborn and the month is almost over anyway.

Typically I do a big irish meal for st patty's day, but since beef prices were double normal and there was no lamb I didn't both this year...if people want to stock up for coronapocalypse they are welcome to do so, but I'm not paying the extra if I can wait, and I'm good at waiting for a better deal...so, tonight I will be hunting for chicken, since that was also all gone over the weekend and at this point I'm totally out...<sigh>...we might just be eating more pork if I don't find any.
  • baconslave
    Still sane.
    Energy wasn't great so my workout was just okay and my NEAT as garbage. Pandemic plus all-day rain plus hormones. Not a good combo. Also, I managed to tweak something in my back on Friday and so I had to do bodyweight only strength. It managed not to strain the back though. It's not raining today, so I should get to walk circuits in my yard.

FTR I'm not afraid for myself getting sick or my kids. I'm certainly concerned for my older family who have NOT taken care of themselves and are in poor health. And it's all just surreal and disconcerting right now. :expressionless:

• taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    March 16-17 check in:
    I am being more present at home but could still improve. We’ll get plenty of time to work on that, it appears. I have been more mindful at lunch the last two days but not as much during dinner. I have been pretty active so hopefully that will balance things out.
  • tcunbeliever
    It was odd having a st patty's day dinner of pork chops, but it was still delicious...no tea cakes or hot cross buns either...I did get pretzel rolls, but no one at them...

I did my workouts, but they were boring...as expected...I even did some extra cardio rather than sit around while watching TV, so that was good...rewrote the April-June workout plan in light of all the even cancellations...I hope the beach stays open, because at this point it's the only vacation I'm going to have!
  • vkrenz
    Check in for March 17

1. Mindful exercise daily. Took the afternoon off and went on a 3 mile walk/jog
    2. Low carb, < 35 daily. not so good, planned to eat out for my husband's birthday but they closed the restaurant before we got there, had to go to another restaurant drive thru that I hadn't planned for so ended up going over, ended up with 64 carbs
    3. Calorie deficit, <1,500 daily. still well under
    4. Get rid of 5 lbs by 3/31. Doing well. so far.

All this COVID is causing quite a stress level and accompanied struggle to not stress eat. I am trying to re-direct myself to exercise BUT "they" closed our employee fitness center because every other fitness center in the world is closed. WTHeck!

• tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,565 Member
    3/17-18 check in
    Move with purpose 20 min/day - 1/2, had a great home strength work out at lunch yesterday.
    More protein than fat -still pretty good but I haven't been logging
    NEAT - ok but I need to pay more attention to monitoring it
    No alarm snooze-Working at home for the next 2 weeks my be the key to correcting this.

No stress eating here because I didn't buy anything snack food worthy on purpose :)
    Also I'm a calm person in general.
  • vkrenz
    Check in March 18

1. Mindful exercise daily. Walking around in circles at work since our fitness center was closed and also went outside after work for a 2 mile walk/jog.
    2. Low carb, < 35 daily. Did good, back on track for awhile anyway.
    4. Get rid of 5 lbs by 3/31. Almost there!

How's everyone doing under the conditions of this new world we're living in? It's almost surreal. Our facility is talking about taking everyone's temperature coming in the door. I do work in healthcare so it makes sense. We haven't had any positive COVID cases in the 3 county area where I work, yet anyway.
  • baconslave
    vkrenz wrote: »
    Check in March 18

1. Mindful exercise daily. Walking around in circles at work since our fitness center was closed and also went outside after work for a 2 mile walk/jog.
    2. Low carb, < 35 daily. Did good, back on track for awhile anyway.
    4. Get rid of 5 lbs by 3/31. Almost there!

How's everyone doing under the conditions of this new world we're living in? It's almost surreal. Our facility is talking about taking everyone's temperature coming in the door. I do work in healthcare so it makes sense. We haven't had any positive COVID cases in the 3 county area where I work, yet anyway.

We stay home a lot naturally and my hubby works from home about 90% anyway, but the extracurriculars that actually got us out of the house (church, social things, co-op classes) are gone and everyone is on edge in the house. At least the adults and teens are. The younger kids can feel that and are being squirrely.

It didn't help that hubby went to the store last night and there was NO MEAT. NONE. Where's that eyeroll emoji when you need it? We have a thing or two frozen and some sausage patties and hotdogs so no one is going hungry but growing kids need a varied diet and there's not a lot of protein in those choices. Very few frozen veggies but we got a couple packs. Whether or not that's enough for a family of 6 to last a week is unsure. I really wish people would just take their share and NOT all other shares too. :rage:

Other than that we are well, and annoyed with one another, so no real problems.
    I'm staying on-plan even though I am moody as heck thanks to femaleness. Still struggling with NEAT but managing to pull enough out at the end of the day. I'm such a procrastinator. :unamused:
  • taylok23
    March 18 check in:
    I worked on being more mindful at home yesterday so that seems to be working. The eating part? Not great. I’m staying on plan but not within calorie limits by any means. I think boredom is setting in so I eat more than I really need. Otherwise we are holding it together, hubs and I. We walk the dogs and exercise together and have been tuning in to all the latest news. I’ve been off work for the week so next week I’ll be busy so maybe we won’t drive each other crazy!
  • supergal3
    3/19
    Have stayed at home since Tuesday, and then today had to take hubby to doctor for a blood test that is absolutely necessary (has bone marrow disease). They took our temps before letting us in the medical building. Was pleasantly surprised to see the waiting room quite empty.

Pumped gas with a double plastic glove on hand on the way back home.

Still pretty mindful at my meals but miss my gym workouts. Managed to take a walk yesterday so I guess that is all I will have for awhile.

• tcunbeliever
    The hoarding people - such giant sacks of richards...grrrr
  • baconslave
    The hoarding people - such giant sacks of richards...grrrr
    :joy:
    Amen to that!
  • amckholmes
    amckholmes Posts: 119 Member
    Its Friday, other than finishing off a carton of creme fresh sprinkled with monk fruit and cacao nibs, I have done well this week, staying under calories and carbs, staying above protein minimum. The weather forecast for next week is moderate temperatures and no rain. I keep telling myself I just need to push forward to good weather and everything will get easier :)
    Hoping everyone is healthy and doing whatever is needed to stay that way.
  • baconslave
    amckholmes wrote: »
    Its Friday, other than finishing off a carton of creme fresh sprinkled with monk fruit and cacao nibs, I have done well this week, staying under calories and carbs, staying above protein minimum. The weather forecast for next week is moderate temperatures and no rain. I keep telling myself I just need to push forward to good weather and everything will get easier :)
    Hoping everyone is healthy and doing whatever is needed to stay that way.

Yay! Yeah, just keep looking ahead. I've mostly been a hermit for a long time thanks to homeschooling so you basically have to create things to look forward, too. I have my routine of online haunts I visit. Sites I check for news. Performing what I call my daily Snoop n' Sip (cuppa coffee in hand). And if the weather is nice then I flee. If it's not then I read, play a video game, make something (crochet or crossstitch), or watch something while hoofin' it on the Dreadmill. Check back later on how the webworld is doin'. Have interesting impromptu conversations with the kids. We gotta do whatever it is that helps us cling to sanity, and sometimes we have to make it up as we go along.

Someone posted this on FB this morning. Day 6 in captivity! https://www.facebook.com/complex/videos/510921352904547/?t=5
    :joy:

My oldest daughter looked at YouTube vids as research yesterday to pass the time and then did a 50s makeover on her younger sister and one brother and did a photo shoot.

Today is rainy. But we've rented a movie. They are having a friend over, who is not infected. (We've had no positive cases here yet and both families have been sequestered since last week.) Our morning and early afternoon will be spent by me making them clean up the absolute disaster they have made of the house.

I am determined to enjoy my children, remembering that this shall pass, and they'll grow up on me soon. Mindfulness. :smile:
  • vkrenz
    That is a cute and creative little video, love it.

Check in for March 19

1. Mindful exercise daily. Still walking around in circles. No outside time, pouring down rain 2. Low carb, < 35 daily. Did good.
    3. Calorie deficit, <1,500 daily. Well under
    4. Get rid of 5 lbs by 3/31. I did it! Now I have to maintain it for 10 days, hoping to add a bit more to my loss column for the month. We shall see, I'm still determined.

Hope everyone is doing well, no COVID cases yet in my county.
  • taylok23
    Check in for March 20:
    Booooooo! The birthday sweets caused an increase in weight even though I stayed on plan for the remainder of the week. I guess the boredom of being at home may have also contributed to not being mindful enough when eating. Guess that is the focus for the upcoming week. Work will help take my mind off eating or at least I hope!
  • supergal3
    3/22

Have been pretty mindful at mealtime. Though they are not exceptionally low in carbs, (due to store shortages) they have been low enough in calories.
This discussion has been closed.