If you use 2 types of insulin...

Have you ever mixed them up?

Last night, I was injecting my long acting insulin before bed, when I realized it was my rapid acting insulin pen. I used the same dose I would have used for the long acting.
So, I took a couple of glucose tablets, drank half a juice box. Then I injected my long acting and went to bed.
Just in case, I brought my meter and the rest of the juice into my bedroom with me to treat a low during the night if it happens. I didn't wake up during the night, and my reading this morning was 5.2(CDN) 93.8(US) So I guess I did okay.

What would any of you do in this situation?

Replies

• maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    I have done this exactly twice. And I pretty much did what you did one of the times. The other time I literally set my alarm for 4 hours after I went to bed. Reason was at that time my dosage for my long acting which is lantus was I thought pretty high. So by taking that dosage of short acting I was very concerned what could happen. As in not waking up at all. It was pretty low, I had some nuts with a bit of milk. And brought up to acceptable levels.

The more recent time I was not that worried as the amount of long acting is so much lower than it used to be. I felt safer not setting an alarm to check in middle of night. No excuse for me one pen is grey, other deep dark blue. I know better.
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    I have done this exactly twice. And I pretty much did what you did one of the times. The other time I literally set my alarm for 4 hours after I went to bed. Reason was at that time my dosage for my long acting which is lantus was I thought pretty high. So by taking that dosage of short acting I was very concerned what could happen. As in not waking up at all. It was pretty low, I had some nuts with a bit of milk. And brought up to acceptable levels.

The more recent time I was not that worried as the amount of long acting is so much lower than it used to be. I felt safer not setting an alarm to check in middle of night. No excuse for me one pen is grey, other deep dark blue. I know better.

Thanks. I guess I'm not the only one who has a 'duh' moment. I have the same things, long acting is gray(Toujeo) and rapid is blue(Apidra). I usually move them around when I use the last mealtime dose, but I guess I forgot.
    But, all's well that ends wll.