C25k Group starting March 2020

Options

Replies

• CILLAJ8
    CILLAJ8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    @briscogun, congratulations on completing the program! I attempted a trail run yesterday with my dog. Keyword, attempted. Too many variables; terrain, wind, sharing the path with others, my dog needing to stop several times, and it just being much harder to run outdoors. I managed to jog 24 of 44 minutes but definitely not all consecutive minutes. Longest was 4 minutes. I’ll keep trying and most likely won’t attempt anything longer than a 5k until I’m able to run one outside.

@Change_is_Good_ how are the legs feeling now? Let us know how the next run goes.

@SuzieQ136 how are the new Brooks? I have a pair and I love them!
  • SuzieQ136
    SuzieQ136 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    @Change_is_Good_ and @CILLAJ8 When I ran on Friday it was in my new Brooks. My knee pain was awful over the weekend. I saw an orthopedic doctor and they did an MRI this morning. She wasn’t comfortable giving me permission to try to run through the pain unless she knew exactly what was going on in there. Based on the severity of pain, symptoms and location, she thinks it’s either a stress fracture or strained MCL. I personally still think it’s just real bad runners knee or something. I mean let’s face it. I haven’t been good to my body the past several years and just shaped up 4 months ago. I have to expect I’m going to be very de-conditioned! I was frustrated at having to take days off. I will get results tomorrow so can at least make a plan from there. I’m crossing my fingers and hoping I can run tomorrow. Thank for checking in. I’ll update when I get results.
  • Change_is_Good_
    Change_is_Good_ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    @SuzieQ136 Oh no!!! Didn't realise that run was in the new shoes! That does sound super painful. 🤞 Fingers crossed you're on the mend nice and quick, but running can wait, don't want to aggravate it and be out of action for even longer
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    @CILLAJ8 I'm the same way when it comes to running outdoors. I know a lot of people HATE the treadmill and will only run outside, but I'm the other way around. I struggle with all the variables, the weather, is it too hot, too cold, traffic, uneven terrain, etc. It's kinda stressful for me. The treadmill on the other hand is always steady, even, no obstacles or debris, no traffic, I can play my music safely, watch tv, etc. I think I'm in the minority though...

@SuzieQ136 I'm so sorry to hear about your injury! Hope it isn't bad. I know a few years ago I over trained when I first started C25K and had to stop for a few weeks and it drove me nuts. Let us know when you hear.

It's weird being done with the program and not having structured runs each time. I've been just running for 30 minutes (still doing a 5 minute warm-up and a 5 minute cool down walk too, old habits die hard). I've done that the last 2 times out with no real issues so I guess that's good. Don't think I'm actually up to 5K distance yet, so I may just try to see if I can up my time a bit each week until the treadmill gets me to 3 miles? I'm still running at a rather slow pace but who cares? I'm not racing anybody anytime soon!

I actually looked at the C210K program for about 10 seconds this morning and went, "Nope!". Not interested in running that long or far in the least. I'll stick to my 30 minutes for now... ;)
  • Change_is_Good_
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @CILLAJ8 so sorry, I totally missed your message. Legs are much better thanks, managed the full 25 today 💪

Can't wait to do it and it feel easier though. I think that's the end goal, to do the 30 min comfortably. I am doing the 5k, just need to stop including the warm up and cool down to see if I'm running the 5k.

I do run outside, i actually quite liked it in the rain (light rain), but I don't really have much choice. I do plan my routes to be flat though, any sort of incline and that's me done 🤣

Argh @briscogun miss yours too! I'm not good at this haha.
    That's what I'm gonna miss, the structure. Might keep the app and just redo the runs for a while. And you are totally right about not being a machine, I'm just pleased I thought sensibly about it rather than feeling like I'd had actually failed. I've realised I definitely need something for energy before I go too.
  • SuzieQ136
    Options
    Hi guys and gals! Results of my MRI came in yesterday. She said it’s inflammation of the Medial Tibial plateau bone and that it’s the precursor to a stress fracture. Long and short of it is that she’s leaving the ball in my court for now. If I want to try to run, with the brace, on level surface then she won’t try to stop me as long as I agree to let pain be my guide. If I can run through the pain and still experience overall improvement, that’s fine. If it’s not healing or starts getting worse again then I have to stop. Hopefully, now that I started running on the trail instead of the uneven ground along the lake, it will continue getting better. She did say the complete healing process for bone inflammation is at least 4-6 weeks.

I went for it yesterday. I took it slow and shortened my stride (the doc said shorter strides reduces strike force). It was painful but not as bad as Friday and I was able to complete W3D1. If I still feel like I’m improving tomorrow I’ll try W3D2. Keep up the good work everyone!
  • Change_is_Good_
    Options
    Well that's good news it's not actually a stress fracture. Nice that the doctors is still encouraging exercise if you feel you can, hopefully being gentle with it will be a good thing. And congrats on w3d1 💪
  • briscogun
    Options
    @SuzieQ136 glad to hear it’s not something serious. I guess if it was bad your doctor would’ve told you to lay off a while, but it’s always good to listen to your body. I remember an athlete talking about the Differt between playing through pain and playing with an injury and knowing the difference.

So I guess it’s official, I finished the 30 minute runs a few times but now I’ve done the full 5K. Took me 37 minutes but it’s in the books! So no excuses for me anymore. I still don’t think of myself as a runner but maybe that’ll change? If you would’ve told me in March back doing 60 second running intervals that 2 months later I’d run for 37+ minutes straight and do the full 5K I’d have said you were nuts. I am NOT a runner, folks, so if I can do this please know that you can too! I am slow as molasses but it’s about keeping your feet moving!

Good luck everyone!
  • CILLAJ8
    Options
    @briscogun awesome accomplishment! Way to go running a full 5k! That’s about where my pace is too. 36-38 minutes. I ran 30 minutes today and managed 2.5 miles. Next time I’ll push to run a whole 5k. I’ve never considered myself a runner either. Maybe because I don’t have the same results on pavement than I do on the treadmill. And I’m pretty slow too. I’m gonna keep at it though. Great benefits all around.
  • SuzieQ136
    Options
    @briscogun and @CILLAJ8 nice work! Can’t wait until I’m there with ya! I did run again yesterday. Tomorrow I’ll do W3D3.
  • CILLAJ8
    Options
    @SuzieQ136 how are you feeling?
  • SuzieQ136
    Options
    @CILLAJ8 I’m doing well. Thanks for checking in! I completed W3 this morning. My knee is improving. Not nearly as much pain today. Hope you have a great weekend!
  • SuzieQ136
    Options
    W4 Complete! Hope everyone is doing well!
  • briscogun
    Options
    @SuzieQ136 nice job! Keep it up! Just keep moving, you can do it!
  • SuzieQ136
    Options
    Completed W5D2 today and with almost no knee pain! 😁 You guys, I have to admit. I’m a bit nervous about D3 this week 😳 Hope everyone is doing great!
  • CILLAJ8
    Options
    @SuzieQ136, you can do it! I know you can. Don’t let it intimidate you. Slow and steady. You’ve got this!
  • briscogun
    Options
    @SuzieQ136 you can do it! Don’t think about it, just do it! Slow but steady wins the race!
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say "hi!" :) I started C25K this week, fingers crossed!
    Wishing all the best to everyone in this thread, too. :)
  • SuzieQ136
    Options
    @CILLAJ8 & @briscogun

You guys! I did it!!! 💪 I got out of my head and just took it slow like you said. (As in “14 minute mile” slow) But I jogged the whole 20 minutes none the less. I can’t thank you guys enough for the encouragement! Are you both still running? Have a wonderful weekend.

Sue
  • SuzieQ136
    Options
    @GummiMundi welcome to the C25K group. Where exactly are you in week one?