I need an Emotional Eating support posse.

insideoutgirl
insideoutgirl Posts: 45 Member
I’d like to have a support group for people struggling with this. I’m suggesting daily checkins, open diaries, sharing successes and struggles. Anyone in?

Replies

• mermaidnj
    mermaidnj Posts: 161 Member
    I'm in..
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    Hi, @insideoutgirl , I share my diary with friends .I lost 26 lb last year but I've been struggling for 7 months now.It started since I went to stay with my mother in Thailand . I try to maintain my weight but I already gained back 6 lb.@memaidnj, I'm sendind you a friend request.🤞🏽💙
  • insideoutgirl
    Thanks so much. Sounds challenging to live with a parent and in a different place!
  • insideoutgirl
    Thank you!
    mermaidnj wrote: »
    I'm in..

• mermaidnj
    Good morning insideoutgirl and Malimalai , hope we can make this theard an active and supportive place I for one could sure use it! I really struggle with the emotional peice of weight loss.

I also am living with and caring for an ageing mother back in my childhood home which brings both advantages and disadvanteges..

I live in New Jersey and we have been pretty hard hit by Covid19 .. I have not been out much in two months we have had pretty strict quaetine guidlines also living with a 95 year old woman with COPD we have to be extra cautious..

• Malimalai
    Hi @mermaidnj , you care for your mother so well that now she is 95 even if she suffers from COPD.It is hard to live with spreading of Covid19 out there.You must be in the 60s like me. I'm 65 by the way.I left home because my mum was very harsh and unreasonable with me. My brother who lived with her was also on drugs and a drinker.After he died last year age 62, I went back to live with my mum for 6 months.Mum is 89 and she is still unreasonable and fanatical about her religion too.It is best for everyone that I made arrangment for some people to look after her.She can look after herself with some help at the moment. Back in Australia, our son and his girlfriend came to live with us since December.That is enough about me.Feel free to talk if you want to talk, here or you can message me in private.Have a good day.🕊✌🏽🌹
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    I have been doing fairly well lately. I continue to work hard on understanding my emotional connection to food. I really want to know more about it and explore ways of addressing the unhealthy relationship I have, then practicing what works. I hope you all are finding some light on your tunnels.
  • Malimalai
    @mermaidnj , go for it ! you can do it ! I'm doing the same too. 🤗
  • SuzieQ136
    SuzieQ136 Posts: 38 Member
    I’d like to have a support group for people struggling with this. I’m suggesting daily checkins, open diaries, sharing successes and struggles. Anyone in?

I’m in as well. I’ve been working hard for about 4 months on improving my overall health. To date I’ve lost 39 of the 64 pounds I aim to lose. I’m very much of an emotional eater and would love an active thread to offer and receive support along this crazy journey. I’ve also started the “Couch to 5K” (C25K) program. It’s a free app that guides you through an 8 week training program that starts out with short walk/run intervals and gradually increases over the course of the 8 weeks. The program only has you run 3 times a week so it’s realistic and doable for people like me who aren’t runners. I’m finishing week 3 of the 8 week program and it’s been excellent for me! Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Blessings,
    Sue

• Ellevated
    Ellevated Posts: 182 Member
    Hi there. I used to struggle a lot with emotional eating. I had forgotten I was a member of this group and actually came on to pop into another group when I saw this thread subject.

Anyway, if you want to add me for support on this (or tag me in this thread), feel free to do so. I log all my meals daily so am on MFP regularly, although I am more active on the news feed than in the 'Community' section.

I don't have an open diary, so if that's a deal-breaker I'm not for you, but any of you can feel free to reach out if not!

I've been at 'maintenance' for about 2 years and slimming down was a very slow process for me, but I didn't give up.

It is possible to recover from emotional eating, so whether any of you choose to reach out to me or not, please take heart in that.

<3
  • Malimalai
    Hi @SuzieQ136 ,You're doing great in losing all that weight. it's a good idea that you joined the exercise app, you will be more active.I'm looking forward to see you in the news feed. x 🌞
  • mermaidnj
    hello all... I am glad to see some new faces all of us at diffrent stages in our journeys..

Did not do well with the logging the last few days so much for my 7 day plan! I have come to realize in the last few days that I eat when I'm angry.. a complicated emotion for me comming from a family bacround where anger was just" not done " well at least not visably .. Always raised to be nice ,turn the other cheek, forgive and forget well you get the point..

So the thought orrured to me that aong with stuffing those feelings with food wieght is a way to say if you can't see how angry I am I make you see it!

Hope all had a pleasent weekend and any of you mothers enjoyed your day yesterday..
  • Malimalai
    @mermaidnj , You have to put yourself first like you said. You have to stand up and be firm with people instead of hurting youself. Take care of yourself no matter what and you will feel better. One day at a time. Have a good day. 🌼🌞

• rheinn1979
    rheinn1979 Posts: 8 Member
    Instead of committing to 7 days, can you commit to 3? How about one day? How about one meal? Start small, with commitments you know you can keep. We are here to cheer you on. *kitten*, I'm on my 16th commitment of the day. Every hour I will commit to making healthy choices, despite what family/loved ones say or throw at me, (especially strawberry shortcake... Mmmm). I log every bite of food, every calorie taken in. I don't measure the stuff that doesn't matter to me (yet) like water, fats, carbs, blah blah blah. I can't do it yet. I don't have the mental capacity to track all that stuff AND stress about kids, life, Pandemic, work, money, messy house. Since I can't sell the kids, I will just track calories.

It's been 3 weeks for me, with a day off for Mother's Day (because my hubby's strawberry shortcake really is that good) with no regrets. In one week, I will move to daily commitments. It's super hard though. With hourly, if you fall off track it's really easy to hop back on the next hour. You can't really fail a whole day. You just have some hiccups. By switching to the daily version, it's more risk, you know? Because if you accidentally go over, you risk just saying screw it and the whole day gets tossed.

I used to have a reminder in my phone. Every hour, log. Even if it was that one wheat thin I snuck from the kids' snacks. It's habit now, if my hand is near my face, my phone is in my other hand trying to record calories. I've been at 1300 calories for 2 weeks now, and I've pretty much hit that target every day. It's not easy, but it's progress. (And more progress I've made than the last 8 years combined.)

Also, try writing down alternatives actions when angry. Punch pillow, scream loudly, take a cold shower, go for a swim, walk the dog, throw a ball really hard. Anything other than food.

You got this, mermaid.

mermaidnj wrote: »
    hello all... I am glad to see some new faces all of us at diffrent stages in our journeys..

Did not do well with the logging the last few days so much for my 7 day plan! I have come to realize in the last few days that I eat when I'm angry.. a complicated emotion for me comming from a family bacround where anger was just" not done " well at least not visably .. Always raised to be nice ,turn the other cheek, forgive and forget well you get the point..

So the thought orrured to me that aong with stuffing those feelings with food wieght is a way to say if you can't see how angry I am I make you see it!

Hope all had a pleasent weekend and any of you mothers enjoyed your day yesterday..

• mermaidnj
    @rehinn.. thanks for the pep talk.. and yes one hour at a time I can do.. log it log it log it will be my new mantra!
  • SuzieQ136
    SuzieQ136 Posts: 38 Member
    Hey 👋 just checking in. How’s everyone doing this weekend?
  • Westieok
    Westieok Posts: 13 Member
    Took a long weekend since no vacation in over a year. Couldn’t go anywhere so food was equal to fun. Back on it today.
  • sparklejpatt
    sparklejpatt Posts: 6 Member
    SuzieQ136 wrote: »

I’m in as well. I’ve been working hard for about 4 months on improving my overall health. To date I’ve lost 39 of the 64 pounds I aim to lose. I’m very much of an emotional eater and would love an active thread to offer and receive support along this crazy journey. I’ve also started the “Couch to 5K” (C25K) program. It’s a free app that guides you through an 8 week training program that starts out with short walk/run intervals and gradually increases over the course of the 8 weeks. The program only has you run 3 times a week so it’s realistic and doable for people like me who aren’t runners. I’m finishing week 3 of the 8 week program and it’s been excellent for me! Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Blessings,
    Sue

Sue, I'm doing c25k as well! I love it and it's been so great for me (when I stick with it). Great work heading into week 4!
  • sparklejpatt
    sparklejpatt Posts: 6 Member
    Hi everyone! Has anyone read Linda Spangle? She's wonderful and so insightful. I read and re-read her book Life is Hard, Food is Easy. Everything she says about emotional eating clicks with me and helps me make sense of why I'm doing what I'm doing. Seriously, only $10 on Kindle. Gotta get it.