Any insight out there?

akincaid18
akincaid18 Posts: 8 Member
Hello. I’m in my third week of keto and I’m not seeing any results. I realize this is not common so what gives? I’ve done everything right to a “T” and no loss. Have not cheated. My macros are on point and calories on target so what gives?? I’ve done low carb for a couple years with success so I’m used to watching carbs etc and maintaining my weight. I was trying to lose 10-15 lbs more before a family vacation so decided to go keto. But I’m not losing anything!! Any ideas, suggestions, advice? Thank you!

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    It’s entirely possible to lose fat without losing scale weight.
    xberci70wmjq.jpeg

If you are also not seeing any difference in your body, which will be very slight after only 3 weeks so MSU be hard to see right now, then you may simply be eating too much of the right things.
    Or, you think you’re eating the right things but actually aren’t... I’ve talked to many people over the years failing to lose weight upon going keto only to find out they are drinking an entire cup or more of heavy cream a day or eating an entire brick of cream cheese as a daily snack. Keto isn’t a fat free for all like some bloggers will lead you to think.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    I can’t seem to edit my spelling error :lol:
    That should be it may be hard to see it after only 3 weeks. MSU has nothing to do with it autocorrect
  • akincaid18
    Thank you @Sunny_Bunny_ ! I really appreciate the insight! :)
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    When I hit a plateau of 2 weeks or more, I adjusted calories down...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2020
    What do your calories look like? Did you just start exercising? Are you using a food scale? And what are your stats?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    If you aren't already tracking measurements, then please start now, for your own sanity...I have lost clothing sizes on keto even while gaining weight...it's not all about the scale, right, it's about having less fat, and being healthy, and, of course, looking good...I definitely recommend the measurements, you are likely to see changes there even when the scale is being a brat.
  • akincaid18
    @psuLemon My calories are 1200, I did just recently start back up at the gym. I am not using a food scale. Most of the things I measure are in quantity form (i.e. 2 eggs 2 pcs of bacon). Can you be more specific on what stats? Thank you!
  • akincaid18
    @tcunbeliever THANK YOU!!!
  • psuLemon
    akincaid18 wrote: »
    @psuLemon My calories are 1200, I did just recently start back up at the gym. I am not using a food scale. Most of the things I measure are in quantity form (i.e. 2 eggs 2 pcs of bacon). Can you be more specific on what stats? Thank you!

You would be surprised how many extra calories you cam eat when you don't measure with a food scale. Given you seemingly don't have much to lose, it will be more important to be a bit more exact.

Also, given you just started to workout, you have to consider the extra water weight you will carry from that. I know as a male, i maintain 2-3 lbs from it. Women can carry more, especially during their TOM. So i would recommend giving it a bit more time and getting a food scale.

Stats = age, height, and weight.
  • akincaid18
    Of course stats are 39 yr old female 5’11 182 lbs
    Thank you so much for the advice! Much appreciated!
  • psuLemon
    Given your stats and you said you exercise, i would ask why you are aiming to eat that little. There is a possibility that is causing additional water retention, but additionally, that will not support exercise and recovery.

What is your exercise routine btw? And do you have any goals outside of just weight loss?

In a general sense, i would add a food scale, but i would also put you at a more calorie appropriate level 1500-1600.

• akincaid18
    Ha! Honestly the 1200 was automatically calculated by fitness pal based on my goal of wanting to lose 1 lbs/week. It is dang hard to keep at that number too! Usually at the gym I will do 25 minutes moderate jog on treadmill and then another 30+ minutes on machines. Alternating leg/arm days. At minimum trying to go 5 days/week. My goal is to lose weight but do it the right way and not relying solely on the diet; instead add exercise and get my body and mind in shape! Thank you again for the helpful advice!
  • psuLemon
    akincaid18 wrote: »
    Ha! Honestly the 1200 was automatically calculated by fitness pal based on my goal of wanting to lose 1 lbs/week. It is dang hard to keep at that number too! Usually at the gym I will do 25 minutes moderate jog on treadmill and then another 30+ minutes on machines. Alternating leg/arm days. At minimum trying to go 5 days/week. My goal is to lose weight but do it the right way and not relying solely on the diet; instead add exercise and get my body and mind in shape! Thank you again for the helpful advice!

Keep in mind with MFP, you are supposed to eat back exercise calories. Or if you are consistent, you can run a tdee calculator (like frog fitness) and aim for a standard target daily and not worry about exercise calories. The latter is my preferred method. So 1500 might be a bit more up your alley and a good place to start. IME, active tall women tend to be close to 1700.

From a fitness standpoint, i would get on a purposeful structured lifting routine. What you are currently doing is going to cause muscle imbalances and can lead to injury. If you want something focused on the butt and lower body, i would recommend looking at StrongCurves. If you combine this with cardio routines and higher protein (~110-130g), you will get a more shapely and lean body as you lose body fat.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • akincaid18
    Thank you!!! 😁