JUMP IN June 2020 Challenge

Replies

• emt4jesus
    emt4jesus Posts: 15 Member
    On plan except for calories. Can't seem to get enough and therefore I get the dreaded "you are not eating enough" message when I try to end my food diary each day. I think I'm going to drop my calorie goal from 2000 to 1800 and see if that helps.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    6/12-14
    Steps -> 3500 Friday, 7000 Saturday and 4800 Sunday
    Movement -> moved every hour on Friday during work
    Food -> on point Friday, Saturday was a train wreck and Sunday was on point.
  • amckholmes
    amckholmes Posts: 119 Member
    June 14, almost half way through the challenge. Weather offered me less outdoor time last week, but I managed two long bike rides for a total of +97km and +87,000 steps. Feeling very good about making both goals. Have had a bit of distraction with overeating (of low carb foods) but am continuing to keep my focus on returning to my eating plan and not obsessing over it when I fall off the wagon for a few hours. Have an awesome week everyone, stay healthy :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    emt4jesus wrote: »
    On plan except for calories. Can't seem to get enough and therefore I get the dreaded "you are not eating enough" message when I try to end my food diary each day. I think I'm going to drop my calorie goal from 2000 to 1800 and see if that helps.

Sounds like a good idea. :smile:
  • baconslave
    Been campin'.
    Got some good reading in while watching the kids bike and mess around. So did get above sedentary on Friday and Sunday. Sat I rode bikes with the youngest when his required accompanying sibling(s) weren't available, played cut-throat badminton, and hoofed around a bit. We were supposed to be leaving the campground today but weather turned on us starting yesterday afternoon so we packed up earlier. 6 people in an RV, 4 of them rowdy kids, didn't sound like a vacation paradise. Shooting for a walk if the raining quits or a walk-at-home vid. We shall see.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    6/11-14 Check in:

1. Mini Break workouts (10 min x 4, 5 times) ✔✔✔✔
    2. Eat low carb ✔X✔✔
    3. Limit drinks to weekends✔✔✔✔
    4. Close all 3 rings on Apple Watch (stand, move, exercise) daily ✔XX
    5. Stress Less...✔✔✔✔

Friday rest day and the rest of the days I went OTF & walked.
    I am feeling the happy sore. Glad it's back open again!
  • Neecee911
    Neecee911 Posts: 125 Member
    Hello all! This seems to be the place for chat!?! Just signed on here as I've been on a low carb plan for over 4 weeks now. The longest I've ever managed as I love fruits and veggies too much. The key, for me, was discovering sausage, and now I live for breakfast! So far, I've lost around 12lbs. I first tried to go old style Atkins20, but cannot live without half and half in my coffee and have not been willing to take on all the extra calories with heavy cream or use nothing, so that's my compromise. I've averaged 36g (T) / 27g (N) carbs per day, with a 20:60:20 split on C:F:P, on days with no alcohol, so now you can tell me what needs fixing (besides giving up the alcohol!)

My goals. Starting June 15.
    1. Stick with this WOE and all that that entails, including no alcohol
    2. Swim 4-5X (pool's open, yay!)
    3. Do one house reorganization activity per day
    4. Do one gardening activity per day

Fatigue. What's the cure?
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    Retreat weekend = not a lot of steps or physical activity. I did go horseback riding and used some muscles that haven't been used in about 25 years... but definitely not a sporty weekend. 6/15 - I have weight lifting scheduled for lunch this afternoon and a hot yoga class in the evening. Need to get back on track!!
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    6/14:
    Water:✅ got plenty
    Calories/macros: was over on both but am not beating myself up. I ran and did a dog walk but that is about it for activity. Of course those are the days I eat too much versus my busy days. I need to get it together!
  • ccrdragon
    6/15:
    Steps -> took a walk at lunch, 8200 steps for the day
    Movement -> moved every hour during work
    Food -> calories low for the day, carbs < 50 net
    Exercise -> Lunch walk
  • emt4jesus
    emt4jesus Posts: 15 Member
    6/15
    Meeting my plan. Got in a 2 mile walk before work. I changed my calorie goal from 2000 to 1800. I'm struggling to get 1500. Today I'm trying my first 24 hour fast. Everything I've read points to fasting being beneficial. I have a friend who has lost 48 pounds doing a low carb diet and intermittent fasting.
  • baconslave
    Neecee911 wrote: »
    Hello all! This seems to be the place for chat!?! Just signed on here as I've been on a low carb plan for over 4 weeks now. The longest I've ever managed as I love fruits and veggies too much. The key, for me, was discovering sausage, and now I live for breakfast! So far, I've lost around 12lbs. I first tried to go old style Atkins20, but cannot live without half and half in my coffee and have not been willing to take on all the extra calories with heavy cream or use nothing, so that's my compromise. I've averaged 36g (T) / 27g (N) carbs per day, with a 20:60:20 split on C:F:P, on days with no alcohol, so now you can tell me what needs fixing (besides giving up the alcohol!)

My goals. Starting June 15.
    1. Stick with this WOE and all that that entails, including no alcohol
    2. Swim 4-5X (pool's open, yay!)
    3. Do one house reorganization activity per day
    4. Do one gardening activity per day

Fatigue. What's the cure?

So. Fatigue since it was last mentioned. Are you watching the electrolytes? Keto folk require a minimum of 3K to 5K milligrams of sodium per day due to the biological effect ketosis has on water retention. (A great many are definitely are on the higher end of that spectrum.) So you have less sodium on hand since the body excretes more. So you have to re-up. If sodium is up then the body will replenish potassium and mag, which you can get through foods. If it's down, it will end up leeching those out too. However, I personally find I need to supplement a little potassium and mag myself even when I'm not keto. (I'm just low-carb currently.) I can rattle on about this more if electrolytes is actually an issue.

And your macros. I usually don't harp on macros as I say that as long as you are prioritizing meat, a little LC dairy, and green leafy veggies (for the carbs) then your macros usually fall just fine. Though if fatigue is an issue then you might want to up protein just a bit. Maybe, if after locking down electrolyte deficiency, fiddle with macros and make that 55/25 on the fat/protein for awhile and see if that helps.

A third thing might be eating too little. I don't know what your calories look like, but if you've hit all the other points and are still having the issue, then making sure your calorie deficit isn't too low. You may need to up it a tad if that's the case. Which sucks because you lose a little more slowly, but you are able to stick in there because fatigue won't continue to make you absolutely miserable.

Just some thoughts.

Anyway, HTH. And welcome to the challenge. :smile:
  • weatherking2019
    6/15 Check in:

1. Mini Break workouts (10 min x 4, 5 times) ✔
    2. Eat low carb ✔
    3. Limit drinks to weekends✔
    4. Close all 3 rings on Apple Watch (stand, move, exercise) daily ✔
    5. Stress Less...X

My fiancee's ex MIL & SIL was over to see his daughter. Why can't they meet somewhere but our house? He was at work so not home. I work from home and like to eat lunch on patio. They were there the entire day. It got me stressed.😣
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    6/15 -

Weight lifting:
    Squat - 5x5 100lb
    OH Press - All over the place, I'm going backwards on this one and need to figure out why.. should have been at 65lbs, barely made it at 55lbs
    Deadlift 1x5 115lb

evening: Hot Yoga - 75 minutes.

Maybe doing both on the same day after a weekend of excess wasn't a good idea, but I showed up and didn't walk out of the class.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    @Neecee911

I'm going to echo @baconslave and say more salt or electrolytes. Not only does LC/keto already require more salt, but you are increasing the water loss with alcohol consumption.

Additionally, alcohol depletes B vitamins, so might want to get a B-multi for the day after drinking, it will help restore what you have lost in the vitamin world.

If you don't want to give up drinking alcohol, you don't have to, just make sure it fits your calories and don't overdo it.

When I was on keto I would randomly be completely unable to process alcohol so I could literally be drunk all day on 2 glasses of wine because I would just never sober up.
  • baconslave
    6/16:
    on-plan: :+1:
    exercise: :+1: Flailing Away the Pounds for 1hr 20min or so. (Leslie Sansone vids) :smirk: 12k steps for the day.
  • ccrdragon
    6/16:
    Steps -> 4000 steps
    Exercise -> yard work, 30 push-ups and 25 squats, plus getting the bikes in shape for riding
    Food -> calories on point, protein 145g, 21 net carbs

Other good news is I went for my first bike ride in years this morning, did 40 minutes on the local bike path!
  • baconslave
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    6/16:
    Steps -> 4000 steps
    Exercise -> yard work, 30 push-ups and 25 squats, plus getting the bikes in shape for riding
    Food -> calories on point, protein 145g, 21 net carbs

Other good news is I went for my first bike ride in years this morning, did 40 minutes on the local bike path!

Fun!
    I've finally got my youngest riding a bike without training wheels (he had a vision delay that required neurorehabilitative therapy.) Now we can finally go on the local 15 mile bike trail sometime this summer. Twill be epic!
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    6/15-6/16:
    Water✅ On both days. Definitely been trying to be cognizant of diet soda and keeping it to a minimum so I’ve been successful there.
    Calories/macros: ✅ 👎
    Yesterday I was doing well but under-ate at dinner and made me bit queasy. The saboteur joined me on a grocery run and got some carby goodies that I sampled later. Was left with a sour stomach until 2am when the dog had a seizure and I forgot all about it. I NEVER learn!
  • weatherking2019
    6/16 Check in:

1. Mini Break workouts (10 min x 4, 5 times) ✔
    2. Eat low carb ✔
    3. Limit drinks to weekends X Had a bit of casamigos tequila
    4. Close all 3 rings on Apple Watch (stand, move, exercise) daily ✔
    5. Stress Less...X

Burned 583cals at OTF last night. ESP/Endurance Strength Power day. It was tough.