Intermittent fasting on keto

JanesWorld1985
JanesWorld1985 Posts: 11 Member
I broke my 36 hour fast with a nice juicy T-Bone steak and a cute little healthy salad. This is the first time I’ve gone that long without eating (besides when I was young and partying)
I feel so satisfied after eating which doesn’t happen often when I’m not dieting. Who else does intermittent fasting? How long do you go before you eat?

Replies

• KayB2020
    KayB2020 Posts: 46 Member
    I did IF about 98% of the time for the last year or so following low carb. I started strict keto in March 2020 and now I generally do 18:6, but occasionally 20:4 or 16:8. I did some longer fasts last year (24-48 hours) and may do some longer ones again next month.
  • Krisydee103
    Krisydee103 Posts: 416 Member
    It is not unhealthy to do 24-72 hour fast atleast once a month as there is tremendous benefits on the cellular level but def not everyday. I typically do 20:4 (4-5days a week) as you lose the benefits of weight loss when you do it everyday (not to mention it lowers your basal metabolic rate). I love it as I feel more energized when I do and eat less and have less cravings. I follow Dr. Berg and Thomas Delauer on Keto and IF so I know my facts pretty good. The only thing that has kept .e from my goal is my drinking....eeeekkk... add me keto friends if you would like.
  • synergyseeker88
    synergyseeker88 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm doing OMAD (one meal a day) and that seems to be working for me. :)
  • the3dwizard
    the3dwizard Posts: 39 Member
    Doing 16:8 5 days a week.
  • rachaelk679
    rachaelk679 Posts: 1 Member
    Doing 16:8 7 days a week.
    Enjoying keto ... just started logging to make sure my calorie count is legit.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    It is not unhealthy to do 24-72 hour fast atleast once a month as there is tremendous benefits on the cellular level but def not everyday. I typically do 20:4 (4-5days a week) as you lose the benefits of weight loss when you do it everyday (not to mention it lowers your basal metabolic rate). I love it as I feel more energized when I do and eat less and have less cravings. I follow Dr. Berg and Thomas Delauer on Keto and IF so I know my facts pretty good. The only thing that has kept .e from my goal is my drinking....eeeekkk... add me keto friends if you would like.

Out of curiosity, why would you want to lower your BMR? That means you would burn leas calories per day.

Why I don't object to IF, I wouldn't do it because it doesn't support my goals. There is sufficient evidence on spreading protein over 3-4 meals a day to optimize MPS. Given i try to maintain or gain muscle in a deficit, its just a more optimal approach for me. I also aim for 1-1.2g/lb of protein per lb of weight.
  • SamFranks99
    SamFranks99 Posts: 5 Member
    She was saying she doesn't do IF everyday so she does NOT to lower her BMR
  • psuLemon
    She was saying she doesn't do IF everyday so she does NOT to lower her BMR

Thanks. Read the wrong
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 351 Member
    This is an interesting subject, I typically eat low carb (50g total) low sugar, Gluten free, low calorie, I don’t lose much weight, I’ll be honest, I’m working with an endocrinologist though so hope is near. Lol. my doc suggested IF and just recently I have been able to stay on track 16:8 has been successful for me, I no longer night time eat which was a trigger for me but I have been gaining, I thought it would help with losing 😑 but some of you guys have mentioned basal metabolic rate and now I’m wondering if my weight gain while IF is from crappy quarantine not always on track with diet eating or if it’s the IF. It’s probably my food choices, they havnt been the best due to the current pandemic and supply shortage. But when I read about the BMR it was like a light bulb turned on.. how long should one try this style of eating before seeing it’s not the right path for me personally.. 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    I find 16:8 IF and Keto is pretty natural. I am rarely hungry in the AM on Keto so it’s just a natural cycle. I have breakfast maybe once a week to shake it up a bit.
  • rachhughes548
    rachhughes548 Posts: 1 Member
    Since starting Keto I do at least a 16:8 everyday but most days can easily do 18:6 I was so surprised at how easy and clarifying it is. I used to eat constantly and feel such a difference!
  • minxiemoogan
    minxiemoogan Posts: 3 Member
    Hi, I'm brand spanking new to Keto. The fasting is the easy bit, and I read that you should eat 70% fat 20% protein and 10% carbs. Which sounds quite hard. What is the norm if there is one, or am i getting hung up on this percentage and macro deal.
  • AgnesFerniot
    AgnesFerniot Posts: 62 Member
    I fell into fasting overnight from about 18:30-19:00 until next morning 07:30-08:30 so 12-14 hr fasts with only sips of water before bed. Longer than that I grab food and binge. Not fully keto more like low carbs b/c carbs and fats are a huge problem for me.
    B)
  • psuLemon
    CBell223 wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of anything over 24 hours. At that point, you start losing lean body mass pretty quickly. Totally not worth it to me.

Hmm there are some studies that contradict this statement. I am not advocating for longer fast, but I am wondering why you say "you start loosing muscle mass" instead of saying "I start loosing muscle mass"?

I have come to the conclusion that all dietary information is merely a suggesting cause every individual is very different and reacts to ever food in their own special way. Would you agree?

Studies support typical results in a population. Yes, there are variables but generally not going to be significantly different. Things like total protein consumption and weight training are going to be a driving factor for retaining muscle. Fasting does not retain muscle. What it does is cause transient increases in HGH. This is driven by the increase fatty acids flowing. HGH is commonly associated with muscle. But in reality, its non muscle lean body mass (tissue, fluid, bone, etc..). Keto is already an impediment to gaining muscle since carbs are anti catabolic and support increased muscle recovery. Keep in mind there is nothing anabolic about fasting.
  • Joseph1104
    Joseph1104 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi there. I’m new to this blog And MFP
    My doctor is recommending IF / keto for weight loss . 16/8
    I’m really hoping that it will finally help me to lose extra 50 lbs .
    I guess I’m just looking for some support/ motivation .
    I realize we are all different but can anyone tell me their actual successes with this or do I need to start a new blog?
  • AgnesFerniot
    AgnesFerniot Posts: 62 Member
    down 2.5 #. B)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Joseph1104 wrote: »
    Hi there. I’m new to this blog And MFP
    My doctor is recommending IF / keto for weight loss . 16/8
    I’m really hoping that it will finally help me to lose extra 50 lbs .
    I guess I’m just looking for some support/ motivation .
    I realize we are all different but can anyone tell me their actual successes with this or do I need to start a new blog?

@Joseph1104
    Over 1.5 years I lost almost 100lb. Toward the end as calorie needs decreased I started using IF as a strategy to keep within decreased calorie goals. I like to eat more later in the day, so I fast until lunch or dinner, leaving a big bulk of calories for those 2 meals. I still use it to maintain my weight though I'm no longer keto, just low-carb.

If you want to keep track of your personal success you can create your own thread here in the group and report there and maybe get cheers or feedback from other members. There's also a monthly challenge thread we keep pinned at the top of the Group page where members report their progress during the month if you are interested in that. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10798851/june-monthly-challenge#latest