Sleep

Options
I began keto with intermittent fasting (16/8) about 10 days ago. I’m on target with my macros and I’m eating until I’m full and not stuffed. My appetite for sweets is completely gone (yay!), and I feel great. BUT my sleep is suffering. Sometimes at night I feel really hungry, even though my feeding window closes at 8pm. I ate a LOT of processed food and sugar prior to this and never had sleep issues. Oh, and the scale hasn’t moved much in this 2nd week. Suggestions?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Are you tracking calories? I suspect you are low on protein and/or fiber. Or its possible you are like me, and need to eat until you are stuff to go extended periods of time.
  • erincatherinet47
    erincatherinet47 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    No I’m not tracking calories at this point. I’m just focusing on a balance, but may start tracking calories at some point.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2020
    Options
    No I’m not tracking calories at this point. I’m just focusing on a balance, but may start tracking calories at some point.

I would at least track a few days to see where you lie. Then you can adjust.
  • Rfraser1
    Rfraser1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I can't help with the sleep but with the scale issue. Following the keto macros will not help you lose weigh unless you have a calorie deficit, in essence you are replacing one energy source (carbs) for another (fat). So if you eat the same amount of calories it doesn't matter whether they're carbs, fat or protein, you won't lose weight because you are not burning off more than you eat.

The first week of any diet usually has great results, and a lot of the keto weight loss in week 1 is due to water weight which is why not having a change in caloric intake had an effect on the scales then.

This is a clear article that helped me understand it too:https://amplemeal.com/blogs/home/lose-weight-keto-diet

I hope that helps!
  • walker1world
    walker1world Posts: 259 Member
    Options

I tried to add you but the system blocked me. Most people on keto don't track calories.

I have always wondered what organ in the body uses a calorie?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    There are a couple things that might help with sleep. Keto will help balance hormones (mostly) but there is a bit of a pendulum effect while you get to ta stable hormones point. If your previous diet was deficient in fat, then your body may go a bit crazy when it has fat since fat is the base material many hormones are manufactured from.

Also, fat loss can cause estrogen to surge since excess estrogen is often shoved into fat cells for storage - that happens no matter what method is used to lose weight.

Licorice root tea or supplements can help as they are good adrenal food and with hormone issues many times the adrenals are overstimulated. This food can cause a blood pressure increase in some people and therefore should not be taken by anyone who already has high blood pressure. There is a TCM (traditional chineese medicine) formula called "nervous fatigue" which will also feed the adrenals, but without the BP risk.

The loss of water associated with keto can also cause some B vitamins to be lost, which can impact sleep and energy levels if you are deficient. So, a standard b-complex or multi with plenty of Bs can also help.