Leah’s OMAD Journal

Options

Replies

• Leah_62803
    Leah_62803 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    First full day home. Sad to be back to the stresses of normal life.

I weighed myself this morning after going 10 without looking at the scale and was extremely disappointed to see that I’ve only lost a little over a pound. I really expected a bigger loss after sticking to OMAD for 9 of those 10 days and hiking over 9 miles in 3 of those days. This is the first time I’ve felt really shaky in my resolve.
    I’m trying to focus on the fact that at least I did lose that little bit but it’s hard. Especially when I’m seeing people on reddit who are posting before and after pictures like “Wow, 12 days on OMAD and I’ve lost 50 lbs!” That might be a slight exaggeration...but I’m still annoyed. :p

• LadyBlanks
    LadyBlanks Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Leah, don't be discouraged. Stay the course and the losses will come.
  • Leah_62803
    Options
    I’m feeling better. Since I’ve been back to a more normal schedule, the weight is coming off quicker. Actually faster than normal so that makes me think that maybe I was retaining water or something when we first got back from our trip. The scale showed that I had only lost 1 lb in 10 days after doing mostly OMAD and hiking 9 miles...but now I’ve lost 2 more lbs in the couple days I’ve been home. So that’s weird but I’ll take it!

• Leah_62803
    Options
    I’m at 202 lbs this morning. It’s bittersweet to think that I’ll probably be under 200 in the next few days.
    Obviously I’ll be happy but it also makes me angry with myself that I even went over 200 to begin with. Back when I first joined MFP I was hanging out around 165-175 and trying to lose weight. What happened??
    I mean, I know what happened. I had another baby and hurt my back and had surgery...but still. It’s hard sometimes to feel excited about getting under 200.

But I’m trying to think positive! I just got to keep going and knocking off the little milestones as I hit them.
  • Leah_62803
    Options
    I ended up having a little bit of a cheat day yesterday. It’s weird to call it a “cheat day” since all I had besides dinner was some low calorie soup for lunch and a 140 calorie bag of cheez its. I mowed the grass in the heat and felt really awful afterwards with a pounding headache. My husband thought that eating might make me feel better. It might of helped but I still had the headache all day.
    This morning my weight was up to 203. :|
    I’m not getting too upset about it because I know I couldn’t possibly have really gained a whole pound from what I ate. Oh well.

So far, today has been more of a struggle. Probably because I ate yesterday. I feel like I’m started to feel sorry for myself like I normally do when I try to diet. That pouty feeling where all I want to do is eat and I start thinking it’s not fair that I can’t. I hoped that I’d avoid that feeling this time since I’m eating what I want for dinner. It’s funny because normally I deny myself the foods I love and I start craving them. Now I’m eating the foods I love...and craving stuff I normally don’t care about. Ha! I’m not eating breakfast so suddenly I’m thinking a bowl of cereal sounds delicious. :D
    But I think I can get through it. It will be easier on days when I’m working. Right now I’m at home with the kids and I still have to make meals for them. Right now they are sitting just a few feet away from me eating pizza and popcorn (they wanted to have a “lunch and a movie”). :#
  • Leah_62803
    Options
    I did fine yesterday after my initial struggle. Stuck to OMAD and felt pretty good about it. :)

I just had a BIG temptation today. I'm at work and a drug rep came in and brought us all boxed lunches from a deli. AHHHHHHH. This is my nightmare. :D It's usually so easy for me at work because I just shut my door and drink my Gatorade zero.
    I spent some time debating on how I could fit lunch into my calorie limit and what I'd have to do to make it work...and then I just said no. I'm a little sad because I hate wasted food (I feel like they should have asked before they brought it) but it's not worth messing up my day over. Especially since my work days are my easiest fast days.

• mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    All that hiking made you retain water FOR SURE boo!!! I work out ONE TIME and I hold water weight for 2 weeks - it's one of the reasons RN I'm not working out (even though its SO good for you and really helps lose in the long run).

GIRL, you did NOT gain 1 pound of real weight overnight :D I LOST 7 pounds yesterday and it sure as HECK was not 7 pounds of fat LMAO - the cheezits alone might have made you retain some water - you're doing JUST FINE babe
  • katjustkat
    katjustkat Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    "It sounds strange to say that it’s easier to not eat than to eat a small portion but it really is for me."
    EXACTLY the same for me. Once I have something, no matter what it is, I can't seem to stop. I didn't used to be like that at all but now it developed into a real problem. Mentally & physically OMAD is the perfect way to eat for me. I pretty much have whatever I want for dinner. It's weird but I don't lose control and don't way over eat with dinner.
    If I'm ever feeling singled out by having to implement an eating regimen, I remind myself of how good omad is for my body. I think of how much less work my body has to go through digesting all day long, nonstop. So much easier on our organs. Body has time to do it's job cleaning up the mess we put in it. Also, I love not having to think of what I need to buy and plan for my other two meals. I fall off of omad at times but I think it's because i don't always put myself first. Like the deli sandwiches that came in for you today...I would feel bad for the person that made the effort to bring them in. But...we have to learn to put ourselves first and it's a hard thing to do when we're moms and wives. Hubby used to go to get gas and would come home and throw a giant sized nutty buddy in my lap. He thought he was being nice despite me always saying don't bring junk food home. It's hard to say no to someone seemingly wanting to please you.
    You're doing fantastic and it's great that you're catching this young <3
  • Leah_62803
    Options
    katjustkat wrote: »
    "It sounds strange to say that it’s easier to not eat than to eat a small portion but it really is for me."
    EXACTLY the same for me. Once I have something, no matter what it is, I can't seem to stop. I didn't used to be like that at all but now it developed into a real problem. Mentally & physically OMAD is the perfect way to eat for me. I pretty much have whatever I want for dinner. It's weird but I don't lose control and don't way over eat with dinner.
    If I'm ever feeling singled out by having to implement an eating regimen, I remind myself of how good omad is for my body. I think of how much less work my body has to go through digesting all day long, nonstop. So much easier on our organs. Body has time to do it's job cleaning up the mess we put in it. Also, I love not having to think of what I need to buy and plan for my other two meals. I fall off of omad at times but I think it's because i don't always put myself first. Like the deli sandwiches that came in for you today...I would feel bad for the person that made the effort to bring them in. But...we have to learn to put ourselves first and it's a hard thing to do when we're moms and wives. Hubby used to go to get gas and would come home and throw a giant sized nutty buddy in my lap. He thought he was being nice despite me always saying don't bring junk food home. It's hard to say no to someone seemingly wanting to please you.
    You're doing fantastic and it's great that you're catching this young <3

This is very helpful! And yes, I’m the exact same way. Once I start eating, it’s hard to stop. Like when I talked about eating the cheez it crackers. That was the day I had the soup for lunch because I wasn’t feeling well and then an hour or so later I found myself sitting on the couch eating the crackers and I wasn’t even hungry! I just wanted to eat more and wanted the taste. The rest of the day was more of a struggle because I just kept wanting to eat and eat.
    It was super hard to say to say no yesterday because I did feel bad about it. I hate thinking that someone thinks I’m rude or ungrateful. But I am proud of myself for doing it.
    That’s a good idea to think about how good omad is for our bodies.

• Leah_62803
    Options
    I'm getting real annoyed with my weight right now. Lol.

Sunday- 202.0
    Monday- 203.0
    Tuesday- 201.8
    Wednesday- 202.0

Like, come off already! Ugh. I actually had a lower calorie dinner last night too. Not intentionally but it was low enough to put me well under my daily calorie goal. I think my body knows how much I want to see 199 so it's being stubborn. :D
  • Leah_62803
    Options
    I decided to change my profile pic and username so don't be alarmed! :D
  • mistymeadows2005
    Options
    LMAO the pic is SUPER cute!!!! <3
  • Leah_62803
    Options
    I’m feeling super frustrated. Today the weight was 201.8 again. I really thought that I’d see 199 this week. Maybe I’m just at the point already were weight loss slows down? It seems early for that since I haven’t even been doing OMAD for a whole month and I’m still obese. :(

And I sort of feel like I jinxed myself because for some reason I told my coworker about OMAD yesterday. As soon as I started talking about it I got this sort of sick feeling like I shouldn’t have said anything. I wasn’t planning on mentioning anything until people started noticing and asking about it. Now I feel like I’m going to be under a microscope.

And how do so many others seem to lose weight so quickly with this?? I think I’m going to have to leave reddit because all the people who lose 50 lbs in 2 months are killing my soul. I can’t even get under 200!

I’m just whining. I’m still sticking to it. I’m just impatient and I can’t stand to see the scale not moving.
  • LadyBlanks
    LadyBlanks Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Leah, don't be discouraged. Your body might be doing some internal healing. Dr. Berg said that the body works on healing itself and then the weight comes off. He had a patient that was frustrated because she had been doing intermittent fasting for two months and wasn't losing weight and then in the third month she started getting big losses. So keep to the plan, your whoosh will come soon.
  • mistymeadows2005
    Options
    I second Tracey!!! It's NORMAL to have a BIG slow down after the first few weeks - your body is adjusting etc :) Stay the course, run the play, trust the process :)<3
  • Leah_62803
    Options
    Thanks. I hope that's what this is. It's not even like it's that bad, I'm just so impatient. If I look at the big picture I can see that I'm being silly. Exactly one week ago I was 204.4 and this morning was 201.8 so that's pretty good. It's just the last few days that things have stalled.

Sometimes I wonder if I should try to go to weekly weigh ins but I'm worried that it would make me even more discouraged if the scale didn't move as quickly as I wanted it to.
  • Leah_62803
    Options
    This morning was 101.2 so that’s good, I guess. I need to get under 101 by Sunday to have one whole pound loss. One pound in a week seems really small but I guess I’ll take it. I know that my weight loss will get slower as I go but it seems way too early for that.
    I’m not going to give up though.

I really would like to start walking but I’m having trouble finding the time. I used to walk before my husband left for work but now he leaves very early. I’d have to get up at 4am! I just can’t do that. On days that I work, I’m in a hurry to get home because my oldest 2 kids are home alone (they are legally just barely old enough but I’m not comfortable with it). Then I’m making dinner...
    Wait. Wow. As I’m typing this I’m realizing that I’m just making excuses. I only work 3 days a week currently. So that means I have 4 full days off that I could figure out a schedule. On Fridays and Mondays, I can go in the mornings and take my youngest with me (or all 3). On Saturdays and Sundays I can leave them with my husband and go alone. Why do I do this??
    I’m getting up right now and going for a walk.
  • Leah_62803
    Options
    Ha! Funny but sad... I obviously have a typo on my weight in the above post. :D
    Of course, that’s meant to say that my weight this morning was 201.2 and that I need to get it under 201 by Sunday. Ugh. I guess my brain still can’t accept that I’m 200 lbs. :/

Anyway! I did go for a walk. I took one of my dogs. We went 4 laps around the park which is 2 miles. Poor dog was worn out.
  • katjustkat
    katjustkat Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Did you enjoy your walk? I feel so good when I'm outside. I guess endorphins kick in.
    I like omad for different reasons but it seems to be the only thing I can do to manage my weight. I decided just to keep doing omad correctly and not weigh in. I get too wrapped up and thrown off when I have the slightest gain with any diet. So...I decided if I don't weigh in and keep doing what I'm supposed to, I'll eventually lose the same weight that I would if I weighed in consistently. Without the head trips and giving up because of what my brain tells me. All I have to do is stay the course and when I feel like I've lost quite a bit then maybe I'll give it a check...or maybe not??? lol
    Can you fit in a walk on your lunch break at work? That could be fun with a coworker... Man, the days are really short! Seems like ground hog day everyday and boom it's time for bed.
    I have a treadmill desk that I can walk and work on. I trade stocks for 'our' living (20+ yrs) and it feels good to not have to be stuck in a chair all day.
    Hope you have a great weekend!
  • Leah_62803
    Options
    No, I’m not able to walk on my lunch break. I only get a short break and there’s really nowhere to walk where we’re at. Unless I wanted to walk around the steaming hot parking lot. There’s no side streets or sidewalks nearby. We are right off the hwy in the middle of nowhere. It’s honestly a weird location.
    But I only work 3 days a week so right now the plan is to walk the 4 days I’m off. I might figure out something else I can do on the days I work.

I did enjoy my walk! I love being outside and I like walking. I wish I had somewhere nearby that was more interesting to walk besides my local park but it’s something.