July 18 Sign In

Options
13»

Replies

• readyornot1234
    readyornot1234 Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Anya_000 wrote: »
    3rd pass day. I just don't seem to have the willpower right now. I think I set my calorie level too low, but I'm glad I'm still here.

Have you tried it using your TDEE? First you calculate your BMR and then your TDEE. There are many online calculators. You’ll have to play with it to find what works for you.

My TDEE is between 1600 (with light activity) and 2000 or so (with moderate activity). Since I usually have moderate activity each day, and I don’t want a calorie deficit of more than 400 any day, I set my calories on MFP at 1630 or so (I have to play with the combinations of activity level, what my goals are, etc to get to that number - sometimes I have to put in gain 1/2 pound in order to get close to the 1630 number). I just eat at around that level each day. Then I don’t eat back exercise calories as those are already factored in (if I have an extremely active day I may eat 59-100 more though - but that’s not a normal thing). I’ve also set my protein intake to make sure I have whatever the percentage is for 75-85 grams of protein, then I have carbs set to 45%, then the rest is fat. If I don’t eat enough protein I’m hungry no matter how many calories I eat and I will just keep eating. It took some trial and error to get here but I am consistently losing a pound or 2 each month (trying to do this slowly) and I’m not hungry or grouchy or spending every waking moment thinking about it. I’m living my life (the best we can right now). Under eating and being hungry are things I never want to experience again.

Again, this works for me and you’ll have to figure out what works for you. It sounds complicated but it really isn’t and it doesn’t take a lot of time. Also, after I did it once, it’s so easy and quick to tweak occasionally if I feel something has changed such as losing too fast or not at all over a month or so.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    3rd pass day. I just don't seem to have the willpower right now. I think I set my calorie level too low, but I'm glad I'm still here.

Have you tried it using your TDEE? First you calculate your BMR and then your TDEE. There are many online calculators. You’ll have to play with it to find what works for you.

My TDEE is between 1600 (with light activity) and 2000 or so (with moderate activity). Since I usually have moderate activity each day, and I don’t want a calorie deficit of more than 400 any day, I set my calories on MFP at 1630 or so (I have to play with the combinations of activity level, what my goals are, etc to get to that number
    - sometimes I have to put in gain 1/2 pound in order to get close to the 1630 number). I just eat at around that level each day. Then I don’t eat back exercise calories as those are already factored in (if I have an extremely active day I may eat 59-100 more though - but that’s not a normal thing). I’ve also set my protein intake to make sure I have whatever the percentage is for 75-85 grams of protein, then I have carbs set to 45%, then the rest is fat. If I don’t eat enough protein I’m hungry no matter how many calories I eat and I will just keep eating. It took some trial and error to get here but I am consistently losing a pound or 2 each month (trying to do this slowly) and I’m not hungry or grouchy or spending every waking moment thinking about it. I’m living my life (the best we can right now). Under eating and being hungry are things I never want to experience again.

Again, this works for me and you’ll have to figure out what works for you. It sounds complicated but it really isn’t and it doesn’t take a lot of time. Also, after I did it once, it’s so easy and quick to tweak occasionally if I feel something has changed such as losing too fast or not at all over a month or so.

@readyornot1234 and @Anya_000 There is a trick/short cut to this that will make it even easier to first set up and then tweak as needed.
    • Determine your BMR and TDEE for What You Weigh Today (using some online tool(s) as @readyornot1234 suggested and allowing for realistic average activity level
    • Subtract a small deficit in line with MFP's rate of loss default calculations for your own chosen determination (MFP uses "500 cals / day per 1/2 pound per week")
    • Here's the short-cut ... Go to My Home / Goals - instead of going through "how do I make Guided Setup end up at that number .... JUST PRESS the green "EDIT" button on the Nutritional Goals table and enter that number as your daily goal
    • Play with the % values of the three main macros (protein vs carb vs fat) as @readyornot1234 described and press "Save Change"
    • Tweak as needed over time (as you shed weight, calories eaten should be decreasing. I suggest you check every 10 pounds down or so - This will keep the rate of diminishing calories small enough to easily adjust for as you go along.)
    • For eventual maintenance target intake, same deal but without the deficit built in.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    That sounds a lovely trip @RangerRickL.

Today's a pass day for me (so I'm at four for the month :( ). I've been struggling a bit recently with adjusting my calories around quite a lot of variation in daily exercise, and not doing it very well. I did exercise today, but not as much as expected, and guessed at a lot of the calories I ate. Long story short - I've now got a Fitbit and I'm just going to go by what that tells me for the next little while. I'm not giving up on the month!

That's what I do- If I ride my stationary bike, I put that burn into my MFP diary so that the fitbit will give me the credit for the calories burned. If the intentional exercise is "step based" (which the fitbit is already counting) I make an entry in the MFP exercise diary of what it was and the time, but only "1 calorie burned" so that the fitbit gives me credit for an exercise session, but doesn't "double-count" the calories burned.

• readyornot1234
    readyornot1234 Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    @BMcC9 - Really? That would be sooo much easier. I will have to try that tomorrow on my computer. It seems I don’t have as many options on my phone app.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,016 Member
    Options

@Anya_000
    You can raise your calorie goal now. You can set a different calorie goal each day. YOU decide *before the day begins* what your goal will be.

Take Care,
    Maddie
  • Hulya_79
    Hulya_79 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    June 18

Exercise: Yes, 80 mins walk
    Calories: Yes. I ate some of my exercise calories but I was still under of total calorie.
    Tracked: Yes

We visited Ihlara valley; https://www.journeyera.com/ihlara-valley-cappadocia/
    it was a nice day.
  • amandaross887
    amandaross887 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    July 18
    Exercised?: Yes - Lonnnnng walk with the puppy and family
    Calories?: Yes. 1,400
    Tracked?: Yes.
  • Lilutz
    Lilutz Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    yes x 3. 50 minutes walking