Finding an Initial Stopping Place aka The First Goal Weight

Options

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I am on Day 6 of my break and I am feeling pretty bad...I am up 11 pounds and I feel lethargic,bloated and yukky...I know the gain is most likely water weight but I feel like I am undoing all of my hard work...I have been eating junk and I need to concentrate on some wholesome food today...it is scary how quickly years of bad habits return...no binges though so that is a good thing...I am still glad I am taking this break and I am glad I waited to take it until I felt mentally strong enough to semi control it!...not sure how I will feel in another week if I keep gaining!...but I am doing this and learning a lot...especially that the extra food isn’t as much fun as I had thought it would be!

The bloating and yuck really help hammer home the lesson, don't they? I wish I could say the lesson remained with me and I didn't make the same mistakes a second, third... you get the picture, but I did re-learn the lesson in less days after the first time.

The only way to get accustomed to immoderate eating is to just keep doing so much of it that our bodies are forced to adapt again. I hope that never happens again.

I think that is probably why at the end of the weight loss process it is good to take a break every 6 weeks. It gives us more chances to get out of the habit of treating maintenance like a holiday eating spree.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Day 6 update....well, what I was afraid would happen has begun....I am like a human vacuum this afternoon...after swimming for almost 2 hours this morning, I came home starving!...I don’t think I am in binge mode because I am very aware and in touch with the way I am feeling....usually I go into denial and eat on auto pilot...I did have a minor argument with my daughter after lunch and my response or my excuse was to grab a cookie but I was still ok....then the dog knocked the cookies off the counter and they went flying out of the box....I was picking them up and I just started munching on the ones that didn’t break...feeling completely out of control I fixed a sub and ate it....I also drank THREE diet sodas....now I feel sick and I might just call it a night and go to bed...I didn’t sleep much last night any way....tomorrow it’s maintenance calories only and no extra calories...If I don’t get this under control in the next couple of days I am going to cut this break short...I hate to not finish this but I am questioning whether I can get it under control...I know this is a learning process and God knows I still have so much to learn...I am so sorry I am not handling this the way I wanted to...trying not to feel guilty or ashamed....sigh....I hate to let myself or others down...I wanted to make this a good example of what a diet break should be...
  • deafenbaugh
    deafenbaugh Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm still not getting it. I read the materials on MFP and so they suggest that by taking a diet break that it may prevent your body from changing your BMR? Is that right? And, how do you know what your maintenance calories are. I know MFP has given me a number to lose 2 lbs per week but how do you figure your calories for maintenance? Not that I am even close to taking one-just got started :).
    Luann
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Day 6 update....well, what I was afraid would happen has begun....I am like a human vacuum this afternoon...after swimming for almost 2 hours this morning, I came home starving!...I don’t think I am in binge mode because I am very aware and in touch with the way I am feeling....usually I go into denial and eat on auto pilot...I did have a minor argument with my daughter after lunch and my response or my excuse was to grab a cookie but I was still ok....then the dog knocked the cookies off the counter and they went flying out of the box....I was picking them up and I just started munching on the ones that didn’t break...feeling completely out of control I fixed a sub and ate it....I also drank THREE diet sodas....now I feel sick and I might just call it a night and go to bed...I didn’t sleep much last night any way....tomorrow it’s maintenance calories only and no extra calories...If I don’t get this under control in the next couple of days I am going to cut this break short...I hate to not finish this but I am questioning whether I can get it under control...I know this is a learning process and God knows I still have so much to learn...I am so sorry I am not handling this the way I wanted to...trying not to feel guilty or ashamed....sigh....I hate to let myself or others down...I wanted to make this a good example of what a diet break should be...

Anyone can go through the diet break thread in the main section and see countless examples of textbook breaks. They won't learn much there if they need to know how to handle what you are going through. You have had a moment of weakness and you have put together a good follow-up plan on what to do next.

What makes others feel powerless is seeing people who claim never to have problems and wondering why they have so many.

What makes others feel empowered is reading the problems of others and how they worked through it. It may not be ideal but it is only going to ruin a few hours or maybe a day for you not your entire weight loss effort. You will bounce back from this and move on towards a healthier weight.

You have also learned some important things during this process. It is not maintenance that set you off or it would have happened day 1 or at least by day 2. This might have just as easily happened if you had been in a deficit the last 6 days.

• NovusDies
    Options
    I'm still not getting it. I read the materials on MFP and so they suggest that by taking a diet break that it may prevent your body from changing your BMR? Is that right? And, how do you know what your maintenance calories are. I know MFP has given me a number to lose 2 lbs per week but how do you figure your calories for maintenance? Not that I am even close to taking one-just got started :).
    Luann

At any time you can set MFP to maintain your weight by going through the guided set-up and it will give you the estimated maintenance.

Since you are currently trying to lose 2 pounds per week your daily deficit is 1000 calories so maintenance for you will be the calorie goal you see plus 1000. It is important to know this anyway because some days you may naturally go over your calories a little you will still lose some weight as long as you don't go over by more than 1000.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    @conniewilkins56

Did your blood sugar crash after swimming? I’ve had episodes where I’ve gone flying out of the gym to the closest and fastest fast food. Bk? No too many cars. McD? No I hate McD. But it’s empty. Get a 1/4 lber and scarf it down. Out of my mind.

It’s not just that we get calories for exercise, the calories have to be deployed to support workouts. Not that every time we go for a walk we need added fuel, but 2 hrs swimming is substantial. Maybe look at that and experiment.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    @conniewilkins56

Did your blood sugar crash after swimming? I’ve had episodes where I’ve gone flying out of the gym to the closest and fastest fast food. Bk? No too many cars. McD? No I hate McD. But it’s empty. Get a 1/4 lber and scarf it down. Out of my mind.

It’s not just that we get calories for exercise, the calories have to be deployed to support workouts. Not that every time we go for a walk we need added fuel, but 2 hrs swimming is substantial. Maybe look at that and experiment.

Good catch.

When I have not properly accounted for my activity I have sometimes entered into what I call "dazed" eating. It is not auto-pilot but it almost feels like I observing my actions instead of being completely in control.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I think I experienced that^^ this weekend. I pushed mowed knee high weeds and grass for 3 hours on Saturday, not counting where I mowed my regular grass as well. Then I went on an 8 hour walk on Sunday morning. On both days I found myself eating over my deficit+exercise calories because I just was still hungry. I had suspected then that it was because of the extra activity, especially in this heat, that was driving my body to want more food, and knowing the stress that kind of activity was on the body, I didn't get too upset with myself on the extra food.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I usually drink 0 Gatorade while I swim and I have a banana before and 1/2 protein bar and water afterwards...I am certainly not an Olympic swimmer but I do continuous movement swimming,treading and aerobics for 90 minutes plus....

Day 10 update....the past few days have been a nightmare.....after initially not being able to eat as much, I slid that slippery slope right back into old habits....you would think after 14 months I would learn but evidently, I don’t learn very well!...I am up 15 lbs....15 POUNDS......no, I don’t feel like a failure but I do feel bloated,stuffed,uncomfortable and sleepy....naps I had entirely quit taking are back on my schedule...the only thing working better are my bathroom habits...probably from excess food intake....yep, all food turns to poop!

I have learned a few things....one thing is having the right mindset and a plan in place for the food you are going to eat during your break.....I do have a plan for the next couple of days and back to regular plan on Saturday morning... I am going to try maintenance again in a few months and try to have better controI and a different plan of attack...also made the decision to get some psychological help when I get closer to my goal to help avoid binging...I know I am going to have to struggle with maintenance the rest of my life...Hopefully I can lose weight at a renewed pace after this 15 pounds is gone...

My advice to anyone contemplating a break is to weigh all of the pros and cons carefully and only do it when you are feeling ready for it...be prepared to gain a few pounds...and don’t let the break become your normal way of eating again...I started out strong but then my gluttony side decided to take over!...you can teach an old dog new tricks but it takes a little longer to master the tricks!

Next year on my 70 th birthday I WILL be at my goal...and I will be healthier and stronger!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I finally got a handle on things this morning!....swam 95 minutes and ate ONLY A little under maintenance....it felt SO good to eat less today!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I finally got a handle on things this morning!....swam 95 minutes and ate ONLY A little under maintenance....it felt SO good to eat less today!

I knew you would.

I am not worried about you. I think you will get around or through the obstacles. It is inevitable.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Ha!....this morning I was down SEVEN pounds....is this even possible?....I will say I had a perfect maintenance day yesterday after being all over the place earlier in the week so that helped....I will finish this week up strong and Saturday morning the second half of my diet/journey/whatever it is will begin....90 down, 70 to go....
  • deafenbaugh
    deafenbaugh Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Good for you Connie!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I am waiting for my follow-up with my plastic surgeon before I finalize this but I think I have made my decision on the end of phase 1.

193 would keep me out of the 2's most of the time so that seems like a good weight to stop and just work on recomp for a year or more. However, I am done with this being open-ended so I am also going to set a final date and I have decided on November 20th. So 193 or Nov 20th - whichever comes first.

I thought about Nov 11th because that would be 1000 days but I really think I will make 193 before the cutoff and my weight loss/management weeks begins each Friday morning as soon as I have weighed and Nov 11th is a Wednesday. My preference is to reboot my spreadsheet on Fri mornings.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I am waiting for my follow-up with my plastic surgeon before I finalize this but I think I have made my decision on the end of phase 1.

193 would keep me out of the 2's most of the time so that seems like a good weight to stop and just work on recomp for a year or more. However, I am done with this being open-ended so I am also going to set a final date and I have decided on November 20th. So 193 or Nov 20th - whichever comes first.

I thought about Nov 11th because that would be 1000 days but I really think I will make 193 before the cutoff and my weight loss/management weeks begins each Friday morning as soon as I have weighed and Nov 11th is a Wednesday. My preference is to reboot my spreadsheet on Fri mornings.

I admire and envy your patience!....I guess I don’t have as much time as the rest of you do!....but I realize time is going to pass anyway....I can not imagine being your present weight!...I hope you realize how many people you are helping,especially me!....you are a great mentor and role model....

I stayed the course yesterday and was down two more pounds so I have put on 8 pounds during this break...I still have a few more days....

Thank you for all of your encouragement and advice!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options

Sounds like a solid plan!

AT 5'8" and female, 196 lbs is the upper end of overweight for me, but I don't think I'd want to stop there; I'd rather be firmly in the middle of overweight before I'd consider stopping. I need 164 lbs to be considered normal weight, but I don't even look at that as within reach. 180 ideally; perhaps 175. Course if I can hit 175 lbs naturally, I may have enough flabby skin on my arms and stomach and thighs that if I ever had the means for the surgery to remove them might have enough weight to push me over the 164 lb mark!

But right now, I'm aiming for 220 lbs. I'd like to hit that by October and then try holding it until January next year, then start deficit again and try to be 200 by the end of March or before my 41st birthday.

Course, while that might be my hazy plan, that's 6 months and who knows what can happen in that length of time!

@conniewilkins56

I'm proud of you! You made it, even if you had some bumps along the way (and we all do that, so that's perfectly normal)
  • NovusDies
    Options

I admire and envy your patience!....I guess I don’t have as much time as the rest of you do!....but I realize time is going to pass anyway....I can not imagine being your present weight!...I hope you realize how many people you are helping,especially me!....you are a great mentor and role model....

I stayed the course yesterday and was down two more pounds so I have put on 8 pounds during this break...I still have a few more days....

Thank you for all of your encouragement and advice!

I think only death row inmates know how much time they have left and even they could go before their date. I am hoping you will be with us for a very long time to come.

I could never imagine being at this weight either. Even when I was sure I wouldn't stop I had no idea where it was leading. That might be part of the problem for some of us. It is SO hard to imagine something that you either have never been or you were but it was so long ago you were a very different person. I guess I have and still do just keep imagining it could be better than it is and I keep knocking out another day of process towards "better".
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    My goal has always been plastic surgery on my excess skin. Last October before I started I called to make a consult just to see what was needed and they wouldn't even see me until I was a normal BMI. Even though I had lost over 200lbs. So my goal is 174. That is the highest weight I can be and have a normal BMI. I don't have an end date but I do have a goal to reach and a motivating factor to help me reach it.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    gewel321 wrote: »
    My goal has always been plastic surgery on my excess skin. Last October before I started I called to make a consult just to see what was needed and they wouldn't even see me until I was a normal BMI. Even though I had lost over 200lbs. So my goal is 174. That is the highest weight I can be and have a normal BMI. I don't have an end date but I do have a goal to reach and a motivating factor to help me reach it.

I had no idea you had lost so much weight!...you really are a Large Loser....it is so good that you are doing this at a young age....hindsight is a wonderful thing.....had i lost this weight 40 yrs ago and kept it off, I would not have had the problems my weight has caused me!..I would like to get under 200 to see that I can do it...not sure how much lower my weight could be because of my age,excess skin and my height, etc....at 69 years old I don’t want to have surgery to remove skin....I have had enough surgery to last two life times....my doctor recently told me I probably will never be completely happy with my body when I reach my goal but my body will sure be healthier than it was!...I really think you will reach your goals and can’t wait to see pictures of you!